Recruiting Ideas

I've been thinking about resources corps have at their disposal to aid in the recruitment process.

One of the biggest, most eye-catching item is the food truck. How many corps offer to feed high school or college marching bands during their Fall rehearsals? Many programs have Saturday rehearsals and I think it would be a great idea if a corps offered to cater a rehearsal. Burgers and hot dogs wouldn't be a huge financial investment. A different high school/college each Saturday. The corps could just make it a "soft sell". Have info available but not step on any toes with heavy-handed recruiting.

What are other recruiting options can you think of that don't require a big financial investment?

I've been thinking about resources corps have at their disposal to aid in the recruitment process.

One of the biggest, most eye-catching item is the food truck. How many corps offer to feed high school or college marching bands during their Fall rehearsals? Many programs have Saturday rehearsals and I think it would be a great idea if a corps offered to cater a rehearsal. Burgers and hot dogs wouldn't be a huge financial investment. A different high school/college each Saturday. The corps could just make it a "soft sell". Have info available but not step on any toes with heavy-handed recruiting.

What are other recruiting options can you think of that don't require a big financial investment?

Good idea, but the cost of hot dogs and burgers (including supplies) can become pricey. Can't offer food to kids and give them just 1 hotdog, you can expect the average hungry teenager to handle about 3. And also need a beverage, napkins, plates, and condiments. Estimate about $100ish on supplies each saturday. That's $400 a month, for 4 months, totally $1,600. That's ALOT of money to bribe kids to march lol.

But if a corps can afford a project like this, it's worth a try.

Dont charge rookies for their first camp. I believe one of the hardest things for kids that want to march, is just going to their first camp. Not charging for that first camp eliminates that excuse, as well as makes it much more appealing to take that first step.

• Like 2

Dont charge rookies for their first camp. I believe one of the hardest things for kids that want to march, is just going to their first camp. Not charging for that first camp eliminates that excuse, as well as makes it much more appealing to take that first step.

Either that or lower the price... Paying $150-175 for an audition is very hard to do. It limits where you can audition to what you can afford... Most corps wont give audition materials until you pay. I think that's a little rough. Making a young kid not have enough practice time on the audition because he has to save up money just to audition...

• Like 1

Either that or lower the price... Paying $150-175 for an audition is very hard to do. It limits where you can audition to what you can afford... Most corps wont give audition materials until you pay. I think that's a little rough. Making a young kid not have enough practice time on the audition because he has to save up money just to audition...

ahh thats kinda a life lesson....save up for what you want........besides all the kids who have burned corps are the reason corps are getting tougher in this area. Winter programs have gone under for this reason. directors that have helped many kids out have just been shot in the foot for doing so...At least when a kid puts money up front theres an investment on all parts!!!!!

...At least when a kid puts money up front theres an investment on all parts!!!!!

I'm with you on this one. There are a couple of important justifications for charging for rookie camps. One is it helps assure the camp isn't swamped with kids who aren't serious. Another is it helps establish that those who are serious are also serious about the financial commitment.

I like the food truck idea in general. In practice, there are lots of logistics arguing against it (even putting aside off-season maintenance). One big one is volunteers. The process might seem magical, but it's not. It requires hard work by volunteers - at least some of whom must know what they're doing. They must somehow be organized and transported to the site. The truck also has to be moved, which in most cases means renting a semi for each weekend - more expense.

These and other concerns then beg the question: How many? How many kids might join? Is it worth the trouble and expense to yield four more? 10?

HH

Legends feeds both the Parchment High School Marching Band and the Western Michigan University Marching Band during their respective band camps. They also send the food truck to some arts festivals in the area to sell food. When the WMU band has their band day (when high school students get to participate in the half time performance) Legends sets up a booth and gives away the last year's show shirt to anybody that stops by and gives/takes some information. Legends also sponsors a trophy at the state finals. Just a few ways to get a name out in the band community.

• Like 1

The secret.. Build something members want to go back to.

I concur!