Is Madison the new Crown?

Actually, I've thought that Bluecoats have been the new Madison since about 2001.

Actually, I think Spirit of Atlanta is more fitting of that ....... now that Boerma is writing the brass book. But I see what you're saying. They kind started nudging in Madison's way back in 89 and never stopped trying. When Madison started to decline, Coats remained steady and kept on climbing in the Elite status.

Oh for pete's sake... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Madison is being Madison.

As the other guy said, im thinking that BK is a better comparison. They have new brass, and a new percussion, they are a young corps and have enthusiastic membership. I hope a lot of the kids choose to stay with them and push into the top 6 in the near future.

i can always dream.

Now that Crown has become one of the powerhouse corps of DCI. 2007 was kind of the first year Crown started showing it's stuff in my mind. Then 2009 they really blew DCI out of the water with it's new innovations in the activity.

Well, I'd agree that they had innovations. Now, if you call them good, that's where I'm going to diverge from you. This whole idea of one person being a star, well, and the whole thing wi the keyboard, Geez! Talk about making things so young groups can't have a chance to compete, unless they have LOTS of money. That's what was =not= supposed to

happen. The whole keyboard/electronics thing, we were told, was supposed to bring about more parity.

Didn't happen. Wouldn't happen. Not gonna do it! Wouldn't be prudent!

Real Drum Corps Doesn't Need Batteries!

Madison is the new Madison, Madison is the old Madison and Madison is the the future Madison.

2012 will be year #74 that Madison is Madison.

• Like 4

Actually, I think Spirit of Atlanta is more fitting of that...

If you're talking about the corps that has been the most consistent in moving up in the ranks the past couple of years, my vote would be Spirit of Atlanta, and not just because I marched there and have an obvious bias toward Spirit.

Only two World Class corps have moved up in placement in each of the past two seasons. Spirit (17th in 2009, 16th in 2010 and 12th in 2011) and Phantom Regiment (9th in 2009, 6th in 2010 and 5th in 2011.) Since that's an improvement of five spots for Spirit and four for Phantom, I'd have to give Spirit the nudge.

Plus, I'd have to say that Phantom is already in that grouping of "powerhouse" corps to which the OP was referring.

Edited by oldsoprano

Oh dear God, June can't get here soon enough

• Like 2