Officially announced. Cavaliers have a new visual designer.

jeffry fiedler to michael gaines on facebook.

"Michael, Congratulations. While no one wants to believe you're actually retiring to do some other things in life (what's there to do besides drum corps, anyhow?) allow me to clarify that you're not going anywhere else, but a beach, a rainforest, the lunar surface and maybe the Great Barrier Reef! Send me a postcard from the Amazon, please! Best to you and let's do dinner soon, before the Michael Gaines World Tour begins!""

A big thank you to Jeff for putting to rest the rumors and speculation!!!

• Like 1

That World tour has to end at some point. And, when it does...

Sunnyvale is less than an hour away from San Fran.

What directions are you using and what time of the day are you driving?

There is more to life than drum corps. I'm sure he has no intention on coming back to work for anybody.

BTW, i will need all of your paypal accounts to all those who doubted me.

I don't think it'll happen this year. But I'm calling Gaines to SCV in 2013. Gaines not only writes cool drill but he stages the brass very very well (unlike some others). I have a feeling the brass guys over there will start clamoring for him at the end of their first year. It'll just be a matter of time. :smile:

• Like 3

There is NO chance that Mr. Gaines will be at SCV. I'm just sayin

The idea of having Fiedler and Gaines reunited is not outlandish. Much more likely than Rennick and Shaw coming back together...and we saw what happened there.

• Like 3

The latest Field Pass, to be released today, tracks many of the staff changes that have occurred since the end of the season...including Michael Gaines departure from The Cavaliers. Me; "Are you adamant about this? I mean, if a really great offer comes along in the next couple of months, is it something that's just, no, I'm not even going to consider it?" MG: "No. I'm definitely taking the summer off. If I was going to do drum corps this summer it would be with the Cavaliers. Nope. No drum corps for me this summer. Hopefully as a spectator..."

Dan

• Like 4

I don't think it'll happen this year. But I'm calling Gaines to SCV in 2013. Gaines not only writes cool drill but he stages the brass very very well (unlike some others). I have a feeling the brass guys over there will start clamoring for him at the end of their first year. It'll just be a matter of time. :smile:

they can clamor for him all they want, but he's not going. Him saying he's taking a year off really means "leave me alone. I want some ME time for a long time"

But about the SCV thing. Why would they try and hire michael gaines when their drill is almost similar to that of the cavaliers?

scv has a lot more things to worry about than getting them a new drill arranger. Their drill is great. Just dirty.

• Like 5

I can see him back in DCI come 2013 but I can't see SCV changing their drill staff anytime soon. Visually their 2010/2011 shows were superb.

• Like 4

they can clamor for him all they want, but he's not going. Him saying he's taking a year off really means "leave me alone. I want some ME time for a long time"

But about the SCV thing. Why would they try and hire michael gaines when their drill is almost similar to that of the cavaliers?

scv has a lot more things to worry about than getting them a new drill arranger. Their drill is great. Just dirty.

could be michaels way of breaking away in general...ive seen it happen just like this many times especially when someone has been a fixture in a place....anyway...SCV I think was so underrated this year by some....i loved everything they did. I would stay on this path for sure

• Like 3

completely honest, my first reaction was "OH NO!" but then i stepped back and really analyzed the situation.

There is no doubt that Gaines is one of the best...but then I started to really think about it and take a long look at the Cavaliers shows from recent years and came to the conclusion that maybe it is time to move in a new direction.

Let me explain.

2000-2004: some of, if not the best and most innovative drill in the activity. By far Gaines best years!

2005: didnt really care for the program that year, so that was a "meh" year for me

2006: not only great drill but a strong overall concept

2007: program and drill "meh"

2008: loved this show some great drill moments and loved the programming

2009: didnt like anything about this show including the drill

2010 and 2011: some great drill moments and staging, but overall i think it was the the theme/concept that really sold theses shows, not necessarily the drill.

My point is, I think the past few years while the design team has pushed the limits on show design I think the drill writing has become too stagnant and predictable, Dont take this wrong, still incredible, but predictable for the Cavaliers. This year during Xtraordinary, it was the first time that I really felt like I ve seen this drill too many times from the men. And when the Samurai jump was brought into the ending I remember thinking to myself, this is cool, but I wish something new was created.

While change can be scary, it can be exciting as well. I know Hinshaw in the past has worked with Scott Koter and Sheldon Apo so they are familiar, and Tommy Allen will be collaborating directly with him as well.

Much thanks to Michael for his many, many years of excellence. But a fresh view may be what the Cavies need to bring home that ellusive 8th Championship.

I couldn't agree with this post more! I have always been a HUGE fan of The Cavaliers but they have become so predictable with the drill. Are they still exciting? For sure! Do they create a memorable show that makes you talk about it afterwards? For sure! But I feel like the drill was just too similar for the past few years. I am excited to see The Cavaliers come out with a completely new look drillwise.

• Like 2

What directions are you using and what time of the day are you driving?

My little sister works for Lockeed Martin in Sunnyvale and lives in San Fran. She takes the 101 I think. But she drives like Danica Patrick.