Canada in DCI

. There use to be a DCI Canada show in Hamilton Ontario every year back in the 1970's early 1980's. Seems though after Toronto Optimist dissolved, so did this event.

That show was alive and well throughout the 90's. I miss it though. Used to result in a great free day in Niagara Falls. I also remember a show in Montreal, too. Now, there's a free day. :thumbup::devil::thumbup:

KInd of sucks really. Homeland Security!? What kind of terrorist is coming from Canada anyway.

What kind of terrorist is coming from Canada anyway.

Ones who didn't originate in Canada.... The idea isn't to find the most direct route but the easier way in....

s/ Guy who has to take this training every year...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I really don't see Canada returning to DCI. The amount of corps from Canada can be counted on one hand (maybe 2 fingers). In the 70's DCI saw DeLasalle Oaklands, Oakland Crusaders, Toronto/Seneca Optimists, Ventures, St. John's Girls, 1st Canadian Regiment, Canadian Royalaires, Northstars, Rose City Guardsmen, etc. There were many more but most did not compete in DCI. With no music program in schools it is hard. The most successful band program in Canada (that I know of) is the Burlington Teen Tour Band. Their drum line is very much like a drum corps battery section.

I remember going to Hamilton for their DCI show...great time!

• Like 1

I really don't see Canada returning to DCI. The amount of corps from Canada can be counted on one hand (maybe 2 fingers). In the 70's DCI saw DeLasalle Oaklands, Oakland Crusaders, Toronto/Seneca Optimists, Ventures, St. John's Girls, 1st Canadian Regiment, Canadian Royalaires, Northstars, Rose City Guardsmen, etc. There were many more but most did not compete in DCI. With no music program in schools it is hard. The most successful band program in Canada (that I know of) is the Burlington Teen Tour Band. Their drum line is very much like a drum corps battery section.

I remember going to Hamilton for their DCI show...great time!

Hi Keith,

Thanks for mentioning the Burlington Teen Tour Band. It is a gem in a country that doesn't promote or support music education. The success of the Burlington band is due to city support and an excellent booster organization. They were invited and are going to Pearl Harbor this fall for the anniversary to represent Canada and perform at many of the memorial services.

Also many of their alumni (mostly drummers) have gone on to march in DCI over the years including Toronto Optimist, 27th Lancers and the Cadets. Their drum staff include a few ex DCA/DCI people.

Also VInce Bruni use to design their show once in a while.

Edited by CDN DC Fan
  • Like 1

It is regettable that Canada can no longer field a DCI competitve corps, and if the note about no school music programs is any indication, I hope it will be a reminder to the US about supporting the arts.

On a lighter note, don't forget we have neighbors to the south. I propose a mariachi band with 125 horns. Hoppy would probably add a bunch of guitars. I don't know who would pay for the big hats, but I propose Boo as the composer/arranger.

K

It is regettable that Canada can no longer field a DCI competitve corps, and if the note about no school music programs is any indication, I hope it will be a reminder to the US about supporting the arts.

On a lighter note, don't forget we have neighbors to the south. I propose a mariachi band with 125 horns. Hoppy would probably add a bunch of guitars. I don't know who would pay for the big hats, but I propose Boo as the composer/arranger.

K

I could use the gig. And don't forget Mexican marimbas are a big deal down there; long ones with four or five performers playing at once. So, the pit thing is partially solved.

mexmarimba.jpg

Edited by Michael Boo

If you have a large wingspan and can handle three mallets per hand you could cut the pit size by half.

The hat issue is still unresolved, but the intervals would be nicely spaced out.

K

I really don't see the passport thing as the real problem going into either country. Although there may be something to be said for perfect criminal records. I have known of Americans being refused entry into Canada for DUIs.

I see the #1 problem is definitely not having the marching band situations that are a staple in high schools in the US. Canada has never had that. Since drum corps has gone almost pro like taking in skilled labor (so to speak) it would be very hard to compete with that. The only marching band I ever knew in all my years marching in Canada (60s and 70s) was the Burlington Teen Tour Band.

At this point the US and Canadian dollar being at par with one another I'm not so sure money is the issue. As the US drum corps continues to move in the marching band direction it will just leave Canada's drum corps further in the dust.

Sad to say. Glad I was there during the heyday.

This is an extreme solution, but it just might help with those pesky border crossings. :tongue:

41799_2257123447_4076434_n.jpg

Mr. Boo!!!! In typical Yankee fashion, you have the US looking much bigger than Canada, when we all know Canada is a much larger land mass :doh: . Despite that, we like being our own country, we just wish we didn't need passports now to cross the border. Can't we just be friends???? :tongue:

On topic, it was a sad day when I realized that my kids would have to march south of the border to finish their drum corps life, but they were much better for the experience. It is really hard to describe the activity and generate interest up here with declining music programs. I belong to the Lions Club in a small town and we sponsor the High School band that would otherwise have to fold without funding. Sponsorship of the arts is a very sensitive subject. There are a lot of great Canadians instructing corps in the US (Lee Beddis, Doug Thrower, Dave MacKinnon, Paul McGarr, to name a few) and this is indicative of the talent we have had. I know they and many others that have gone on in music would be instrumental if there was ever a supportive group who could pull a competitive unit together north of the border. For now I would be happy to see a few more Open Class corps for a starter. If Blue Saints can pull together a small corps every year and Stentors have made several valiant attempts....... Toronto used to have about 7 or 8 corps and Kitchener Waterloo, which is about the size of Madison, had about 5.

Edited by DrumCorpsMom