Canada in DCI

DCI Championships were held in Montreal in 81 (SCV) and 82 (BD). The acoustics were so bad in Expo Stadium due to echoing, that many fans vowed to never go back. Shades of LOF.

KD

I believe that the crowds at Dci championships in Montreal '81 '82 were the largest in drum corps history... I still have a program with the Chatelllaines (please excuse the spelling) I got in '82

I believe that the crowds at Dci championships in Montreal '81 '82 were the largest in drum corps history... I still have a program with the Chatelllaines (please excuse the spelling) I got in '82

I have the same program :smile: um...Les Châtelaines de Laval http://forumadcq.xooit.com/t3897-308-Les-Chatelaines-de-Laval.htm

There were a lot great corps from Canada, most being very unique from thier brothers and sisters from the U.S. . Let's check the ol' memory bank: Connexion Quebec, L'Insolite, Les Etoiles, Les Eclipse, Dutch Boy, Kiwanis Kavaliers, The Strutters, The Ventures, The Bandettes, The Cardinals, Allegiance Elite, Oakland Crusaders, Academie Musicale, Les Chatelaianes, St. Johns, The Emerald Knights. I'm sure I'm missing some; these are corps that I recall from A-60, A-90, all girl, and open class (how's that for "back in the day!"). :thumbup:

Edited by shortn'sour

Regarding the passport card, it is just a supplement to a standard passport. So it would cost $110US for the passport PLUS $30US for the card.

Equipment trucks were always required to have a manifest of their contents, but screening crossing in both directions has been increased since 9/11. Unloading an entire truck would be a huge undertaking for a corps whose driving staff set off any kind of concern by border police on either side.

Drum corps travels in Canada were always a tour highlight, and it's unfortunate that the number of corps and shows has declined so severely.

Garry in Vegas

1972 Velvet Knights

Edmonton Klondike Days Drum and Bugle Corps Extravaganza Champions

Right Gary,

The passport card only works for travel between US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean.... The rest of the world wants a passport book, not a passport card.

It would be great if border controls between US and Canada were removed like they are in the EU. I doubt Canada's border controls are any less valid than the US controls....

Right Gary,

The passport card only works for travel between US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean.... The rest of the world wants a passport book, not a passport card.

It would be great if border controls between US and Canada were removed like they are in the EU. I doubt Canada's border controls are any less valid than the US controls....

Got a great story about Canadian Border control. I was going through the crossing in Blaine, WA, on the way to Vancouver and got a random reinspection. It only took a few minutes, and they found my camera that had been lost in the car for a few days. It was sitting on the passenger seat when we got back in the car.

Garry in Vegas

There were a lot great corps from Canada, most being very unique from thier brothers and sisters from the U.S. . Let's check the ol' memory bank: Connexion Quebec, L'Insolite, Les Etoiles, Les Eclipse, Dutch Boy, Kiwanis Kavaliers, The Strutters, The Ventures, The Bandettes, The Cardinals, Allegiance Elite, Oakland Crusaders, Academie Musicale, Les Chatelaianes, St. Johns, The Emerald Knights. I'm sure I'm missing some; these are corps that I recall from A-60, A-90, all girl, and open class (how's that for "back in the day!"). :thumbup:

No one ever remembers the Oshawa Rebels, even though they made A-60 finals a couple times.

No one ever remembers the Oshawa Rebels, even though they made A-60 finals a couple times.

Not to forget Seneca Optimists (2x DCI finalist).

Got a great story about Canadian Border control. I was going through the crossing in Blaine, WA, on the way to Vancouver and got a random reinspection. It only took a few minutes, and they found my camera that had been lost in the car for a few days. It was sitting on the passenger seat when we got back in the car.

Garry in Vegas

Good story! Border Control can also be helpful!

Sorry, I misspelled your name, Garry.

I sadly think that within 5 years drum corps will be dead in Canada. There are only a couple right now and I just think that if the Canadian kids want to march...they can march in the US. I don't like this but it is happening. When Kiwanis went to Florida...that was the end. Blue Saints are not doing very well and it's sad to see this. I marched in the 1970's in NY and we went to Ontario ALOT. Competed against Flying Dutchmen, Krescendos, Opti Lancers, Opti Knights, Midlanders, Precious Blood Cardinals, Oakland Crusaders, Seneca Optimists, Seneca Princemen/ Firefighters, Rose City Guardsmen, Ventures, St. John's Girls, Les Compagnon, etc.