Bob Adair

bobby burke

Just received word of the passing of Reilly Raider soloist,instructor ,and BHOF member Bob Adair.He was probably best known for the incredible soprano solo in the Raider's concert of the late 50's "STARDUST", A tough horn man from the "old school" he always pushed to get the best out of any line he taught. He was a big part of the resurgence of Reilly as an alumni corps. I am sure he will be welcomed with open arms into that great Drum Corps in the sky...and will have them playing" When Irish Eyes Are Smiling"very soon .God grant peace to him and his family .Bobby B

Here is Bob's Bio from his induction into Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

Robert Adair – Bob’s illustrious Drum Corps career began in 1941 when he joined the Osmond Cadets as a soprano bugler and continued in that capacity until 1951 whereupon he joined the Reilly Raiders serving in both the horn and drum lines. He remained with Reilly until 1962 serving as their music arranger and instructor from 1958 through ‘62. In 1957 Bob served as a horn judge with NJA and continued in that capacity until 1963. During his tenure with the Reilly Raiders Bob was the music arranger and instructor for Liberty Bell from 1952 through ’57. He also was the music arranger and instructor for the Bracken Cavaliers from 1959 through 1972, then on to the Rough Riders from 1973 through ’79. In 1947 Bob was the soprano individual National Champion as a member of the Osmond Cadets and in the years 1952 and ’53 played with the National Champion Reilly Raiders drum line. From 1952 through 2000 Bob has arranged for and instructed 14 different Junior and Senior Drum Corps and has arranged better then 325 marching and concert pieces and is still arranging for the Bracken Cavaliers of Bristol, Pennsylvania.

Here is Bob's Bio from his induction into Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

Robert Adair – Bob’s illustrious Drum Corps career began in 1941 when he joined the Osmond Cadets as a soprano bugler and continued in that capacity until 1951 whereupon he joined the Reilly Raiders serving in both the horn and drum lines. He remained with Reilly until 1962 serving as their music arranger and instructor from 1958 through ‘62. In 1957 Bob served as a horn judge with NJA and continued in that capacity until 1963. During his tenure with the Reilly Raiders Bob was the music arranger and instructor for Liberty Bell from 1952 through ’57. He also was the music arranger and instructor for the Bracken Cavaliers from 1959 through 1972, then on to the Rough Riders from 1973 through ’79. In 1947 Bob was the soprano individual National Champion as a member of the Osmond Cadets and in the years 1952 and ’53 played with the National Champion Reilly Raiders drum line. From 1952 through 2000 Bob has arranged for and instructed 14 different Junior and Senior Drum Corps and has arranged better then 325 marching and concert pieces and is still arranging for the Bracken Cavaliers of Bristol, Pennsylvania.

Bob was also inducted into the Buglers Hall of Fame Class of 2011 ... RIP

• Like 1

It was an honor to know Bobby. As a kid, he was definitely one of my idols. could he play a horn.

in the early 80's, I was judging a PA band show and in the judges room before the show, he walked up and introduced himself as our paths had not crossed prior. It was a memorable night for me - I was quite literally speechless (can you believe that?) to have him standing next to me and offering his hand. We met many times after - what a wonderful man and true drum corps giant. It was a thrill to have him welcome me into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame as a fellow member.

RIP Bobby.

Down thru the years I have worn out that Fleetwood record of Bob Adair's solo of Stardust. But I still listen to it and marvel to this day at the magnificent sound coming out of his single valve horn. RIP Bobby!

Just received this from Dr. Mark.

It saddens me to have to relay the news of the passing of Bob Adair. The following will also be posted on our website. Archer-Epler joins the Reilly Raiders and the rest of the drum corps world in mourning the passing of Bob Adair. He was the longtime horn instructor of the Reilly Raiders and Liberty Bell, as well as many other corps throughout the Philadelphia area and elsewhere in Pennsylvania. Among one of his phenomenal accomplishments was winning individual national championships both as a soprano horn and a snare drummer. Bob assisted Archie briefly in 1981 when the corps was returning to competition, while his son Dale taught percussion for us over several years. He was well-known throughout the drum corps world and received just about ever conceivable honor and award, but remained a humble, approachable individual that we enjoyed and appreciated. Along with his first instructor at Osmond, Lee Wolf, Bob will be honored at next week's Brass Reunion. The funeral arrangements for Bob appear below. Viewing Tuesday 7 - 9 p.m.

Viewing Wednesday 9 - 11 a.m.

Givinish Funeral Home

10975 Academy Road

Philadelphia, PA

(215) 281-0100

Mark Fulcomer, Director, Archer-Epler "Musketeers"

For Bobby

RIP

Clip produced by Gail Langan for The Buglers Hall of Fame

Edited by Mellofello01

• 3 weeks later...

It's highly unlikely that drum corps will ever see the likes of this man again, someone who ecxcelled in both horn playing and drumming to the extent that he could win national individual championships in both.

Bob Adair was a giant in the activity and generously shared his knowledge by teaching others. He taught countless performers to play and wrote legendary arrangements. We are so very fortunate to have had him in our midst.

May his memory live forever among all drum corps performers.