Did this not bother anyone else?

I would never bash another corps......but this has to be said. I'm all for Crown winning the Brass title this season, but did anyone else notice that they didn't move that much? Yes, they did jazz running. But did you see them actually play like that on the move? All their hardest music was played while they stood still and posed. I think maybe lessen up the dancing a bit for next season and actually march? I will use the Cadets as an example. Challenging music right? How many times did you see them stop moving? Exactly.

I will however give major props to the Crown guard. They were running & working up a storm in the opener this year.

Like I said, my opinion.

• Like 9

I would never bash another corps......but this has to be said. I'm all for Crown winning the Brass title this season, but did anyone else notice that they didn't move that much? Yes, they did jazz running. But did you see them actually play like that on the move? All their hardest music was played while they stood still and posed. I think maybe lessen up the dancing a bit for next season and actually march? I will use the Cadets as an example. Challenging music right? How many times did you see them stop moving? Exactly.

I will however give major props to the Crown guard. They were running & working up a storm in the opener this year.

Like I said, my opinion.

Trying to figure out how to respond to this because you say that you completely agree with them winning brass. You know that brass judges take visual demand into account when scoring right? At least that was an argument that Cadets used all season to get the brass numbers up. "We have more simultaneous demand." I think it might have helped them only lose brass by a tenth. And some people think that playing the hardest music standing still is just smart. As someone has already stated, BD has made this a staple for years. I don't particularly mind it because they (both Crown and BD) sound so good. And Cadets, well, that's just what the Cadets do and they do it well. I definitely don't think that Cadets should have won brass on simultaneous demand though. But you aren't saying that either. In addition, while it may not be the hardest music, Crown did sound great while hauling butt last year. Check out the Paint it Black brass/guard pass through right before the triple tongueing. They are hauling and the sound is flawless and quite honestly better quality than the Cadets got when they were hauling. Even though the Cadets might have hauled a bit more often, when Crown did move they still sounded better. It wasn't like Crown's quality suffered when they were marching and the quality got a lot better when they stood and posed.

All this being said, I'm guessing that Crown might indeed do what you are suggesting and march more next year. My instincts tell me they will go a little more traditional drum corps and a little less theatrics.

Edited by Cadets98
  • Like 1

Like I said, my opinion.

Perhaps you can let us know what your corps experience is and how you came to the conclusion. I'm sure we would all like to be educated on the matter. Sometimes the music calls for standstill playing or posing. Moving while playing extremely difficult passages might take the focus away from the music. As fans and viewers, we have our own preferences on how we observe and "judge" drum corps. There are always many factors to consider. When I marched, I found that it was often more difficult to move and play during tied whole notes. But I would like to know where you draw your conclusions from.

• Like 1

Further proof that a poster should have at least 250 posts and 50 positives before being allowed to "start a thread".

:ph34r:

• Like 7

Perhaps you can let us know what your corps experience is and how you came to the conclusion. I'm sure we would all like to be educated on the matter. Sometimes the music calls for standstill playing or posing. Moving while playing extremely difficult passages might take the focus away from the music. As fans and viewers, we have our own preferences on how we observe and "judge" drum corps. There are always many factors to consider. When I marched, I found that it was often more difficult to move and play during tied whole notes. But I would like to know where you draw your conclusions from.

You know what gets me about responses such as this? That the acceptance or rejection of an OPINION (by some) depends on someone qualifying their ability to offer an OPINION based on their corps experience. Is there some expected level of experience that is required to reach for an opiono to be accepted? Really? Is there a certain quality of resume' required? Give us a break. It is a persons opinion and, in this instance, is based on observation. Yeah, their "conclusion" is based on observation but I see nothing wrong with it and it is completely within their right to present it. It is self-evident to that particular poster. The poster was only asking if anyone else had a similar observation. Nothing really judgemental about it and it really didn't come across as bashing as they feared. I agree that moving while playing a difficult passage may take away from the music but at this level of drum corps, however, a corps at this level (top 5) SHOULD be able to move and play (difficult drill and music) with equal high levels of performance. If you don't and someone else does, you should not be rewarded equally. All that being said, I don't believe you are owed an explanation of the posters conclusions. The post says it sufficiently. In my opinion.

• Like 7