Favorite Front Ensembles of DCI

Shout out to my 1988 Scout brothers in the pit ~front ensemble~

They got dragged out onto the field and were beat into shape by Todd Ryan and marched the end of Malaguena~

12 killer cymbals, High Mark time, the center of all the forms, excellent feet and all~

Edited by Cop
  • Like 5

Madison 75

• Like 2

I have friends in Crown and BAC but I still loved BK this year. Especially Molly on the Shore

• Like 1

Shout out to my 1988 Scout brothers in the pit ~front ensemble~

They got dragged out onto the field and were beat into shape by Todd Ryan and marched the end of Malaguena~

12 killer cymbals, High Mark time, the center of all the forms, excellent feet and all~

That's an awesome little historical factoid that I never knew or noticed before this mentioning. I will have to go back and check that out.

Nice topic. No consensus whatsoever, and every opinion has a legitimate argument, nicely made by their fans. You almost have to pick a year rather than a perennial favorite.

In general I've loved Crown's front ensemble the last several years, as they've really made the most of the appropriate non-traditional sound generated by the synth, guitar sounds, etc.

Very close to that I'd pick Blue Devils. Top talent combined on marimbas and vibes, also with the tasty use of the synth.

• Like 2

Here are a few that really stick out to me. these are all just my opinions (some are just mentioned for cool moments)

SCV 1985.....One of, if not the first true percussion ensemble sounds from a front ensemble. The drum solo in 1984 gets an honorable mention from me, but in 85 it just seemed like they capitalized on what they did in 84 through out the entire show.

Suncoast Sound 1985......Concert Tom feature in "Midnight In Miami".....took a lot of huevos to put that in their and it worked really well.....havent really heard anyone else try to use a single player on concert toms to help carry a moment....and it worked as a cool lead in into the bass drum feature..........just think, about 1 minute of show with just baritone soloist, concert tom solist, and bass line

BD 1988/1989......My favorite pit years of the BD Float era

Star 1993

Cadets 1992......Really liked the use of the handbells in the ballad......and really nice run near the end of the show

Madison 1995

BD 1996

Cadets 1999

BD 2000.....accelerando keyboard run....enough said

Cadets 2001 - 2003

Cadets 2005......Loved "Dancer In The Dark".......still my favorite ballad ever in DCI......also my favorite writing of Neil Larrivee's

Phantom 2007

BD 2011

So ya, obviously their is a lot of good stuff out there, but that is what just really pops in my head at the moment

Cadets 2005, The week before the DCI Championship finals.- I watched the front ensemble and color guard work together on the nuances in Overture to a New World. Truly mind blowing synergy!

Here are a few that really stick out to me. these are all just my opinions (some are just mentioned for cool moments)

SCV 1985.....One of, if not the first true percussion ensemble sounds from a front ensemble. The drum solo in 1984 gets an honorable mention from me, but in 85 it just seemed like they capitalized on what they did in 84 through out the entire show.

Suncoast Sound 1985......Concert Tom feature in "Midnight In Miami".....took a lot of huevos to put that in their and it worked really well.....havent really heard anyone else try to use a single player on concert toms to help carry a moment....and it worked as a cool lead in into the bass drum feature..........just think, about 1 minute of show with just baritone soloist, concert tom solist, and bass line

BD 1988/1989......My favorite pit years of the BD Float era

Star 1993

Cadets 1992......Really liked the use of the handbells in the ballad......and really nice run near the end of the show

Madison 1995

BD 1996

Cadets 1999

BD 2000.....accelerando keyboard run....enough said

Cadets 2001 - 2003

Cadets 2005......Loved "Dancer In The Dark".......still my favorite ballad ever in DCI......also my favorite writing of Neil Larrivee's

Phantom 2007

BD 2011

So ya, obviously their is a lot of good stuff out there, but that is what just really pops in my head at the moment

Very true (IMO, though, if you're going to give props to BD's incredible pit accel run from 2000 you have to also give credit to Phantom's awesome pit accel run in 1995)

I think that at least since the early 90's Cavaliers have consistently had incredible pits that were able to throw down just as much as make beautiful, nuanced music.

• Like 1