What's Next for Pioneer

One of the reasons why people get so down on Pioneer and use them as a source of humor on DCP, every year, is the fact that they always come out with this hype about thier corps, program, and how great they are going to be; then, as winter progresses into spring, they don't get the membership that they desire, the music has become this and that, and the annual excuses arrive: "that's what we were planning to do" or "this is what we decided to do." The reality is, how can Pioneer expect everyone else to take them seriously when they don't take themselves seriously. I'm glad they are still around and, yes, I've done more than my fair share of cracking jokes about them; but something really, really needs to change with that organization.

What do you consider "hype"?

I don't recall anyone speaking on behalf of the Pioneer organization making any false claims about what to expect from their corps in the past few seasons. In fact, they had me concerned on one occasion when they claimed they would have over 50 horns on the field in 2010....but sure enough, they did. Now, if merely announcing camp schedules or show repertoire constitutes "hype", then I guess there's nothing Pioneer (or any other corps) can do to reconcile that with you.

What do you consider "hype"?

I don't recall anyone speaking on behalf of the Pioneer organization making any false claims about what to expect from their corps in the past few seasons. In fact, they had me concerned on one occasion when they claimed they would have over 50 horns on the field in 2010....but sure enough, they did. Now, if merely announcing camp schedules or show repertoire constitutes "hype", then I guess there's nothing Pioneer (or any other corps) can do to reconcile that with you.

Yeah, I haven't seen the hype out of anyone connected with the organization. They just do what they can do. The easiest way to put the corps back to mid-90s era prominence would be to have the 50 years worth of alumni at Pioneer do what the Blue Stars alumni helped their corps do. It takes time, energy, talent and probably most of all....more money.

I think Pioneer runs their organization as about as lean as it can be and still be safe and practical. That said, the transportation model was flawed in the past and that has been addressed last year.

Here's the deal. I know there are alums who offer the gifts of their time and energy and that helps as well, but it's that money for fuel, for new flags, for scholarships for new members, for scholarships for current members.

In 1995, what did it cost to march Pioneet? Honest question. I don't know. But, what did it cost in 2011? My guess is it was significantly higher. As I see the drum corps models out there...anytime you consider raising the tuition, it is with the understanding that you may lose some membership in the process. Some kids will just not be able to afford it. Others may shop a comparable deal at a higher placing corps. So, I see the quickest way to increase enrollment at Pioneer would be to get more significant revenue in the door to help reduce member costs. Make the tuition cost more affordable and I would wager the numbers would go up.

Also, I have noticed a difference in one of Pioneer's sections over the other two. It seems to me that the percussion side of things seems pretty steady with good enrollment numbers and good overall talent level. What's the secret of that section? How can that be replicated for the other two sections? Is it the instructional team? Is Milwaukee just a percussion-centric area? How does the corps get more guard auditionees? More horn auditionees?

I once calculated some recruitment statistics from a corps I was involved with for 3-4 years. If a kid came to audition and wasn't invited by a staff member or another marching member, the auditionee was 7-8 times more likely not to make it to the first show. Yeah, they might attend a few camps, but then as it got harder, they would wash out. Kids who were invited by an instructor were most likely to make it to the first performance.

That's what I have tried to do with the corps I support...see how we can bring in more dollars. There are people who are better on the expense reduction side...praise them. I am focused on squeezing out more revenue for the corps to work with.

In 1995, what did it cost to march Pioneet? Honest question. I don't know. But, what did it cost in 2011? My guess is it was significantly higher. As I see the drum corps models out there...anytime you consider raising the tuition, it is with the understanding that you may lose some membership in the process. Some kids will just not be able to afford it. Others may shop a comparable deal at a higher placing corps. So, I see the quickest way to increase enrollment at Pioneer would be to get more significant revenue in the door to help reduce member costs. Make the tuition cost more affordable and I would wager the numbers would go up.

I don't have the 1995 numbers, but I do have 1993! Dues for the 1993 season were $350 plus a $25 equipment deposit. Dues for the 2012 season are $2,200 plus individual camp fees of $60(new members) or $50 (vets). While that would seem to be an astronomical increase, the truth is we're still one of the least expensive corps to march in world class. In an era where corps charge $100+ each for registration, audition packets, camp fees, uniform fees, spring training fees and other fees in addition to their dues... Pioneer comes off looking fairly reasonable.

Also, I have noticed a difference in one of Pioneer's sections over the other two. It seems to me that the percussion side of things seems pretty steady with good enrollment numbers and good overall talent level. What's the secret of that section? How can that be replicated for the other two sections? Is it the instructional team? Is Milwaukee just a percussion-centric area? How does the corps get more guard auditionees? More horn auditionees?

I think the success of the percussion section boils down do math more than anything. There's a lot of talented percussionists out there and nowhere near enough spots in drum corps overall to hold all of them given the relative small size of the drum line in comparison to the potential size of the horn line. As far as how to get more horn and guard members... we're working on that and are open to suggestions!

I once calculated some recruitment statistics from a corps I was involved with for 3-4 years. If a kid came to audition and wasn't invited by a staff member or another marching member, the auditionee was 7-8 times more likely not to make it to the first show. Yeah, they might attend a few camps, but then as it got harder, they would wash out. Kids who were invited by an instructor were most likely to make it to the first performance.

Interesting stats... definitely something to consider. We try as much as possible to reach out to prospective members and add a personal touch to the recruitment process.

That's what I have tried to do with the corps I support...see how we can bring in more dollars. There are people who are better on the expense reduction side...praise them. I am focused on squeezing out more revenue for the corps to work with.

We're trying to work on both sides of the coin. Coming out of the 50th, there is more interest in trying to help the corps and we're trying to tap into resources that these folks may have access to or are skilled in. At the same time, it's critical that we still live within our means and cut costs wherever possible without sacrificing the experience for the members and the end product.

• 1 month later...

So...how did camp go?

I know that we wont get numbers or anything, but I can hope.

I am guessing that there are holes to fill, music is still a work in progress, some vets returned, there is a positive outlook for the year...what am I missing...

No hype here. If there's anyone out there who knows me from my years of marching at Brigadiers, I am anti-hype.

I'm the quiet guy who watches, focuses, and mentally prepares for each show. I prefer to focus on the task at hand, whatever that is at the moment. Right now, it's design, recruitment, brass curriculum, and contribute to improving what I can including some fundraising ideas I have taken on in coordination with management.

In my opinion, Hype and over excitement are typically wasted energy from the true goal of maximizing the opportunities placed before us. I've been in drum corps long enough to know that anything can change at any moment, and its' better to be prepared for change.... have a plan B and a plan C in place well ahead of the competition, so it doesn't catch you off guard. And, if and when I march, it's about the "zen" of drum corps. Focus on one show at a time, one rehearsal at a time, with the end goal in the back of my head. That's what I try to instill in my students as well. That being said, I do believe in instilling that in a focused way when I instruct. Everyone has their job. Do it, and do it well, and we have no problems. Don't do it, and we'll have to have a little chat.

Maybe that sounds in itself like hype, but I have been criticized for years by people I marched with that I don't fist pump enough before going out on the field. I know that people love to do that, but it's not me. Everyone is different. I prefer balance of heart and smarts. Too much of one or the other can carry a show to places you don't want it to go. I'll save the fist pumping for after the season is done, for a few hours, with a brew. Then, it's planning for next year, if there is one for me.

Hype requires too much energy. The time spent doing that could be better spent planning.

Speaking of which, I have 12 pages of brass curriculum done... more to go. Have a good night.

Thanks for listening.

Lansing.

And this has what to do with Pioneer's disastrous competitive results?

• Like 2

Yeah, I haven't seen the hype out of anyone connected with the organization. They just do what they can do. The easiest way to put the corps back to mid-90s era prominence would be to have the 50 years worth of alumni at Pioneer do what the Blue Stars alumni helped their corps do. It takes time, energy, talent and probably most of all....more money.

I think Pioneer runs their organization as about as lean as it can be and still be safe and practical. That said, the transportation model was flawed in the past and that has been addressed last year.

Here's the deal. I know there are alums who offer the gifts of their time and energy and that helps as well, but it's that money for fuel, for new flags, for scholarships for new members, for scholarships for current members.

Pioneer's alumni is a part of the equation, but not as significant a part as you imply IMO. You mention the Blue Stars Alumni as being instrumental in their resurgence into World Class, and while Blue Stars have definitely benefited from consistent alumni and volunteer involvement along the way, there were HUGE changes in approach and administration that pushed that comeback into being. Pioneer will not recognize change until it happens from the top down.

• Like 2