Grey Knights Drum and Bugle Corpsof Johnsonburg PA

Posted on Facebook today on Grey Knights Drum and Bugle Corps of Johnsonburg PA

It is with great sadness that I must tell you that Ed McAlee, a dear friend of mine, many of our members, and of the Corps, passed away today at about noon in Danville, PA. Ed loved the sport of Drum Corps with all his heart, and supported us with his marching, leadership, encouragement, and at times his wallet. This Greyhound has a spot in the Bari line of a much better drum corps now, together with many of our friends that have gone before. Please keep Ed and his family in your prayers. Tom Detwiler, Asst. Director

Thanks for posting the picture Don - I didn't know the name, but I know the face...

Don Paluh, long timed Cru drummer and DCA photographer guru was a baritone with Ed in J'Burg in the mid 70's.

Don,

Thanks for posting.

When arrangements are known I will post them.

Gene "Vern" Brenidel

There will be a viewing this coming Friday evening September 30th, at the Ubel funeral home on Center Street in Johnsonburg (across from and below the Community Center where we practice). The viewing is from 6 to 8 PM. Corps members will meet in uniform (no shakos) at 6:50 in the parking lot area and enter together. If you are a past member of the Knights or any other Corp without a uniform or are not comfortable wearing yours, please wear a Corp jacket of any description if you are good with that. A funeral service will be held on Saturday morning at the Ubel Funeral Home at 11 AM if you would like to attend that as well (no uniforms for that). Please share this information as possible. Hope to see you there. Tom Detwiler

• 7 months later...

428556_3144631336097_1274414610_32388010_2067416294_n.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I pass along the news that Tom Detwiler has passed away Sunday. As many of you know he has been battling cancer for about 6 years now and the last couple of months has taken a turn for the worse. The Funeral service is Wednesday at the

Trinity United Methodist Church in Ridgway PA at 11:00 am.

From Eric McGonigal:

Tom was more than just a marching mate. I've had the privilege of marching beside him for more than 16 years. Tom was the reason why I wanted to play mellophone. He was one of the best of melli players I've ever heard. As good as a horn player Tom was, he was even a better person. I've still have never met a person with a work ethic like his. If each of us carry ourselves a little as Tom did, the world we be a much better place.

I am so sorry..... Ed...the Greyhound...and Tom too! There great guys and I always enjoyed seeing them.Sending prayers and happier memories. BTW...they didn't call him "The Greyhound" for nothing....LOL Another reminder of how short it is...

WOW...I remember both of those guys. Condolences to their families and the Grey Knight organization.

Donny

Obituary from The Ridgway Record:

May 21, 2012

Thomas C. Detwiler, 60, of 42 Cottage Lane, Ridgway, died Sunday evening, May 20, 2012 at his residence following a lengthy battle with cancer.

He was born Jan. 8, 1952 in St. Marys, the son of Jane L. (Evans) Detwiler and the late Earl M. Detwiler.

He married Kathleen M. Liscinski on Dec. 28, 1974, and she survives.

He had resided in Ridgway for the last 37 years and was a former Johnsonburg resident. He was a member of the Trinity United Methodist Church, a member of the Gray Knights Drum and Bugle Corps and a member of TAPPI. He was a graduate of the Johnsonburg High School, Class of 1970, and a 1974 graduate of Penn State. He had been employed by Domtar in Johnsonburg for 38 years.

In addition to his wife and mother, he is survived by two children, Lauren Cooley and her husband Chris of Williamsport and Lynn Zitta and her husband Adam of Williamsport; a niece; and a nephew.

Besides his father, he was preceded in death by a brother, James M. Detwiler.

A memorial service for Thomas C. Detwiler will be held at the Trinity Methodist Church on Wednesday at 11 a.m. Officiating will be the Rev. David C. Roddy, pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church.

There will be no visitation.

Memorials, if desired, may be made to the Gray Knights Drum and Bugle Corps c/o Don Blint, 111 Biddle St., Kane, PA 16735; or to the Hillman Cancer Center at UMPC Cancer Pavilion, Suite 1 B 5150, Centre Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15232.

Funeral arrangements are under the direction of the Thompson Funeral Home, Ridgway.