Corps that should have been in top 12

1986 Les Eclipses

I can't really say that they should have made finals because I did not see them live, but what a great story it would have made. They had one of the most remarkable seasons ever in 1986. They scored a 37.7 at their first show - 23.1 points behind the 27th Lancers (60.8) and 31 pts behind Garfield. At the end of the season they landed in 14th place, just 2.5 pts behind 13 place 27th Lancers and 2.8 pts out of finals. It wasn't like that first score was an anomaly and they jumped right up to where they should be. Their improvement was a slow, season long progression. I've looked for similar stories of single season improvement but have not found one.

1986 Les Eclipses

I can't really say that they should have made finals because I did not see them live, but what a great story it would have made. They had one of the most remarkable seasons ever in 1986. They scored a 37.7 at their first show - 23.1 points behind the 27th Lancers (60.8) and 31 pts behind Garfield. At the end of the season they landed in 14th place, just 2.5 pts behind 13 place 27th Lancers and 2.8 pts out of finals. It wasn't like that first score was an anomaly and they jumped right up to where they should be. Their improvement was a slow, season long progression. I've looked for similar stories of single season improvement but have not found one.

89 Suncoast?? 54.9 to 88.0? and placing 9th? a 33.1 pt improvement.

86 Les Eclipses went from a 37.7 to an 83.1...they with the improvement caption with a 45.4 increase....but Suncoast might win the argument because they DID make finals in a year they probably shouldn't have, given their start.

86 Les Eclipses went from a 37.7 to an 83.1...they with the improvement caption with a 45.4 increase....but Suncoast might win the argument because they DID make finals in a year they probably shouldn't have, given their start.

Suncoast 89 was a great season Sam, but I would still give the nod easily to Les Eclipses. In the early season Suncoast was battling with Florida Wave, Dutch Boy, and Crossmen. Three corps that generally were finishing in the low to mid-teens at the time, one of which was just a few years removed from being a perennial finalist. Contrast that with Les Eclipses who were being beat by the likes of St. Francis Xavier Sancians, Malden Diplomats, Connexion Quebec. They were just ahead of corps like The Ventures. The Sancians became the A-60 champions that year and finished 19 pts behind Les Eclipses in quarterfinals. The Diplomats finished 18.3 pts behind Les Eclipses in quarterfinals, and Connexion Quebec finished 17.5 pts behind Les Eclipses in semis.

Based upon early season results 89 Suncoast was looking like a corps that would finish in the mid teens and miss finals, but the improved enough to land in 9th. 86 Les Eclipses looked like they would not even have a shot at winning class A only to finish 2 pts out of finals. Two great seasons for sure.

1977 Anaheim Kingsmen

Yea that year many people thought Kingsmen or Boston were going to get in. No one would have been made if either did. Kingsmen I think almost got in when Bridgemen almost got DQd.

In 1988,Quad City Knights scored a 27.5 on June 19th in Normal. We topped out at Quarters with a 70.0. A 42.5 point makeup. Close. We finished 23rd after Semis.

• 3 weeks later...

"Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda":

1979 Crossmen (Won the "Associate" Championship: the first and ONLY such contest ever held)

1983 Crossmen

1985 27th Lancers

1988 Dutch Boy

1989 Dutch Boy

Special Mention:

1975 Hawthorne Muchachos

Elphaba

:thumbup: