Shout out to the 1977 Garfield Cadets

I studied with Jerry Callet in NYC for a little while and Jerry said Bucky (Tom Swan) and Gus Wilke (another great instructor/player in his own right)came into his studio to share a lesson. He said that Bucky had the best RAW chops he had ever seen!!!!

A lot of great folks came from the Saints...Al Chez among them. They could indeed play! Tommy Swan taught the Saints for years...a great horn instructor back in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

I know he marched in 71 and 72, two of my years, but I am not sure when he and his younger brother Mike (RIP, sad to say) left.

Both of them great guys!

hi i am one of dennis dewes sisters. he marchedwith cadets threw 76 and was a horn instructor in 77 and 78

Thanks for the good words. It was a fun show to play,

The soprano soloist was Chris Trimblet and the baritone soloist was his brother Jim. They came from the Saints and the guys could play. If my memory serves my right, I think Chris won the soprano individuals that year.

The drum major/soloist was Greg "Doc" Cinzio"

And YES everyone one of those ladies could play!!!!!

I gotta say Frank was like the Pied Piper, He could make us jump thru rings of fire.

Just gotta say that Greg Cinzio is still playing and can be found in the horn line of the Skyliners Alumni. Besides being a player, he is a great guy and and member! Every corps should have a couple of "Greg Cinzios" on their roster!

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my rookie season, alot of us had come from other drum corps who were dead or dying. Prior to rehearsals in the spring of 1981, we used to gather together and listen to recordings of Garfield Cadet corps from past years. :music::music::music:

Our favorite listen, 1977. "Primal Screan/Star Trek", "Blue Rondo ala Turk", "Pieces of Dreams" (w/Chris Trimblett), "Echano" w/Greg Cinzio, and "I Don't Know How To Love Him"...awesome stuff. :worthy:

We loved that show so much that we begged Jimmer to play "Pieces of Dreams" and that's how it became our closer that year.

Edited by George82

Hey! Tell Dennis Mike Davis says "Hi!" We had a great time when we marched together. :thumbup:

i will tell him. he is teaching part time at a college now after teaching for 33 years at the same high school on long island. so he is still into the music

Just gotta say that Greg Cinzio is still playing and can be found in the horn line of the Skyliners Alumni. Besides being a player, he is a great guy and and member! Every corps should have a couple of "Greg Cinzios" on their roster!

Ray

i remeber greg though it was his dad who was doc cinzo. i know cause he looked at my wrist after i feel at cornell university and had bob cardineao take me to the campus heath center to get my arm put in a cast. doc cinzio hit it right on the head when he said i had a green branch fracture.

Hey! Tell Dennis Mike Davis says "Hi!" We had a great time when we marched together. :thumbup:

hey mike if you are on facebook friend request dennis he does have a facebook account along with several other cadets.

Always loved this show ... Especially "Pieces of Dreams".

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the good words. It was a fun show to play,

The soprano soloist was Chris Trimblet and the baritone soloist was his brother Jim. They came from the Saints and the guys could play. If my memory serves my right, I think Chris won the soprano individuals that year.

The drum major/soloist was Greg "Doc" Cinzio"

And YES everyone one of those ladies could play!!!!!

I gotta say Frank was like the Pied Piper, He could make us jump thru rings of fire.

Hello, my friends.

I just came across this thread and am so glad you still enjoy this music after all this time.

What "I gotta say" is that none of it would have been possible without Dennis Dewey and Bob Cardaneo. They had my back, front and both sides. The rest was the extraordinary group of performers who made up that corps, horns, drums and guard.

I'd have walked on hot coals for them, and still would today.