Shout out to the 1977 Garfield Cadets

What happened to 77 Garfield? My apologies if I diverted what was an interesting thread.

It really wasn't a diversion at all, since some were discussing how the Boston and Garfield members were partying together that summer. That was no coincidence because their respective staffs, though highly competitive, were pretty tight friends and also missed no opportunity to socialize.

Brothers and sisters recognize each other, even when wearing different colors.

(Footnote: This fraternization is largely absent today, unfortunately. There are many reasons: the necessity of night travel to the next destination, the raising of the legal drinking age, the shifting mores of society in general...We lived in a magical time and wouldn't trade a second of it for all of Mr. Lucas's Oil.)

• Like 2

It really wasn't a diversion at all, since some were discussing how the Boston and Garfield members were partying together that summer. That was no coincidence because their respective staffs, though highly competitive, were pretty tight friends and also missed no opportunity to socialize.

(Footnote: This fraternization is largely absent today, unfortunately. There are many reasons: the necessity of night travel to the next destination, the raising of the legal drinking age, the shifting mores of society in general...We lived in a magical time and wouldn't trade a second of it for all of Mr. Lucas's Oil.)

Also because members today are only together for the summer - they can't hang out together locally during the off season (apart from 3-day (at most) camps) during the off season.

I'm going to seem like sort of a loser here when I say that I'm sort of glad if indeed there is less (for instance) drinking - especially the members, but also around the corps.

The amount of "recreational" drugs that I've seen done around and even with the (mostly minors) membership always made me feel like we were heading in the wrong direction. I'm not talking about DCA or Alumni corps here, or even the junior corps of the 60s (that may seem hypocritical, but it was a vastly different time - no I didn't drink in my junior corps - although I made up for lost time when I got back from overseas).

This Debbie Downer of a post may be enough to nudge us back on the search for "Not Mervin Hurd or Milt Fitz"

I'm guessing Pete Franceschina of the Sunrisers. Smile is similar, although I hadn't seen Pete smile much during his latter Sun years.

I'm not promoting the libertine lifestyle for drum corps kids, but the times were different, and it was perfectly legal for 18 year-olds (in certain states) to have a beer, or be sent to Viet Nam, whichever came first.

As for the staffs, they had (and have) a custodial responsibility. We fulfilled that at least as well as anyone does today.

China? Fitz? That's another thread..

Edited by ironlips

Kind of funny, because six years earlier, in 1971, we were housed with, and of course partied with, the members of the 27th Lancers when we did a long weekend in Boston, and they and BAC were not exactly the best of friends at that time.

I'm not promoting the libertine lifestyle for drum corps kids, but the times were different, and it was perfectly legal for 18 year-olds (in certain states) to have a beer, or be sent to Viet Nam, whichever came first.

As for the staffs, they had (and have) a custodial responsibility. We fulfilled that at least as well as anyone does today.

China? Fitz? That's another thread..

As a marching member of Garfield when friend Ironlips taught there, I definitelty attest to that! The staff...Frank, George Tuthill, Bobby Hoffman, Pete Emmons, Ray Capacilli, Dave Shaw (Onceupona time here in DCP-land)....and of course our great director Hugh Mahon, took great care of us, and they all took their responsibilities very seriously.

Hey Mike 1975 was the first time we made DCI finals and our Pal, Ironlips was just as nervous as any member on the field. But I think we did him proud!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Proud of you?

Always, and still.

1975 ... was Richie Warga on staff that year as well?

:-)