Teal Sound Announces changes

OFFICIAL CHANGE IN ADMINISTRATION FOR TEAL SOUND

The Teal Sound Board of Directors officially announced the changes in administration for the corps for the 2012 season. Cary Byrd will take over as the Director, while Joel Moody will serve as a Program Facilitator.

With the addition of Joel Moody, Teal Sound gains an experienced music educator with a wealth of knowledge in the drum corps activity. Having been a member, as well as part of the administrative and instructional teams for several drum corps, Moody will assist in the hiring of a design and instructional staff for 2012.

In the search to fill the position that Joel Moody holds, Teal Sound looked at several applicants. Some things came to light in Joel's past employment as a Band Director that were of a concern for some people.

“The Teal Sound organization acknowledges that while past mistakes are evident in Joel’s case, it is not what defines his breadth of overall work. This was over a year and a half ago – people make mistakes, and we all learn from them. We have done our due diligence in our background checks for all employees of Teal Sound, Joel included. We feel that Mr. Moody has been very open and honest about the situation and that speaks volumes about his character. We have the utmost confidence in Joel’s ability to help lead Teal Sound forward and we are very excited that he has agreed to join our Administrative team,” stated Cary Byrd, Director.

Moody has been hard at work this off-season and has already put together an outstanding design team that includes Robert W. Smith and John Campese. “I believe first and foremost in the educational aspect of the Drum Corps activity. I am really excited for this opportunity - I want nothing more than to offer the members of Teal Sound an organization that they can be proud of. We have a great deal work ahead of us, but I can’t wait to see what is in store for the 2012!”

• Like 5

OFFICIAL CHANGE IN ADMINISTRATION FOR TEAL SOUND

Moody has been hard at work this off-season and has already put together an outstanding design team that includes Robert W. Smith and John Campese. "I believe first and foremost in the educational aspect of the Drum Corps activity. I am really excited for this opportunity - I want nothing more than to offer the members of Teal Sound an organization that they can be proud of. We have a great deal work ahead of us, but I can't wait to see what is in store for the 2012!"

From Orland Sentinel

Joel Moody, 31, a popular band director of Winter Park High School's marching band, resigned March 18, about two weeks after another Winter Park student reported to a teacher that she had seen sexually suggestive text messages Moody sent to one of her friends.

Among the dozen messages he sent to her in February:

•"I just want to grab you up. Hike up your dress. Well you know the rest."

•"I can't wait to see you naked. You're so beautiful."

•"We just keep talking as friends because I don't want to lose you. Then when things can work we see where we're at?"

How could an organization that works with teenagers and young adults hire some one in a lead role that has a background like this? Do they not care about the safety of their corps members?

• Like 8

People make mistakes. Those people then leave the field of education.

When you make that kind of mistake, you lose the privilege of working in education. Period.

What a sad mistake, Teal Sound.

Spread the word. Those who make such mistakes - whether they own up to it or not - do not belong in any sort of educational field. Should it be the end of the world for them? No. Not if they move forward and make good with the rest of their lives. But make good away from kids. You lost your privilege.

Stay away from Teal Sound.

• Like 9

There is a special place in hell for those that do and talk about doing such things to children.

amazing isnt it? not like its an independent group either or someone over 18....you think this is bad WGIs dirty little secrets are worse...one just went to jail for 2 years..unbelieveable!!!!!

• Like 1

amazing isnt it? not like its an independent group either or someone over 18....you think this is bad WGIs dirty little secrets are worse...one just went to jail for 2 years..unbelieveable!!!!!

Good.

Not everyone is cut out to be a teacher. It takes a certain character, a certain level of morality. Just because you really like running around a field or floor doesn't mean you get to be around young people. Some people, no matter how good they are, just need to go away.

Disgusting.

• Like 1

As a father of a 13 year old girl, This makes me sick to my stomach.

Stay clear of this corps.

• Like 6

If those text messages were indeed sent by Mr Moody I cannot believe the Board of Directors of a DCI corps could appoint him to this position.

Maybe the allegations of him sending these texts were false?

I would hope that DCI is looking into this.

People DO make mistakes, but this NOT the type of mistake that can be overlooked with a position such as this.

• Like 3

I wonder if the people that posted comments in this thread read the whole article or just read the 2nd post in this thread?

I just find it odd that Teal Sound would mention this in a press release. The whole thing just seems to be handled ineptly.