Drum corps stadium profiles

The 2015 season is just around the corner, which means that it's time for my annual season preview! Part one is now available, and part two will go online next week:

http://marchingarenas.blogspot.com/2015/06/dci-2015-season-preview.html

• 1 month later...

Here is part two of my season preview. Much later than I intended due to some serious computer problems over the last couple of weeks, but better than nothing. Regular updates will resume in the next month.

http://marchingarenas.blogspot.com/2015/07/2015-season-preview-part-2.html

• 5 months later...

I've been very busy for the last several months, but I'm back in business for 2016! Check out the blog for more details, including the announcement of this year's Bracket Tournament!

http://marchingarenas.blogspot.com/?m=1

There's some great stadiums out in the east too! Like.....

MetLife Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ

Went there for the TOC show this year and it was amazing! All of the corps sounded great! I was sitting in the front row almost all the way to the left and still got to see most of the action. After the deal at Lucas Oil expires and if finals ever comes back to the east coast, this would be the perfect place for it!

Clifton Stadium; Clifton, NJ

A historic stadium, and not just because drum corps have been using it for a long time. It's not the most comfortable place for the audience and the performers, but behind it lays a nice park which serves as both a beautiful backdrop for the show and a great place to watch corps in the lot.

Sprague Field (Montclair University); Montclair, NJ

I know it's not used for drum corps lately, but it's been the home of the North Jersey Band Festival for a very long time (which used to be at Clifton stadium). I've performed in that festival so it has special meaning to me, but the stands are incredibly comfortable and the stadium is in a very beautiful area. I would highly recommend it for drum corps shows!

Memorial Stadium; Scranton, PA

Another historic stadium, but not in a bad way at all! Pretty much anywhere you sit here will give you a great view of the show, and the field is turf so the performers have a great time as well. There's another field right behind the home stands and the lot where the caravans park is just next to it, so you won't have to go far to see the corps in the lot.

Lion Stadium (The College of New Jersey); Ewing, NJ

Honestly, I didn't like this stadium at all. The concession area was constantly overcrowded, and there isn't much room in the stands either. At one point in the 2010 show, there was literally an ocean of people standing in the small area between the entrance gate and the stands because there weren't enough seats for everyone. Probably average for Open Class or DCA, but definitely not a good place to watch World Class corps.

That's all I've got. I had images but the forum won't let me post them. Hope this helps!

I also liked Rutgers Stadium. Never saw a Drum Corps Show there. But did see a Band Show once. Would make a Great place for Reiginal Drum Corps show, or one of those limited Special shows.

I also liked Rutgers Stadium. Never saw a Drum Corps Show there. But did see a Band Show once. Would make a Great place for Reiginal Drum Corps show, or one of those limited Special shows.

Cadets tried this two years ago.

Several factors negated the ease of management of the show:

Rutgers rents neighboring fields, parking lots, and facilities for other uses. Practice areas for corps, parking for spectators, and flow of buses/pit equipment/props highly impacted.

Steep inclines for bringing front ensemble equipment and show props to and from staging areas and field required additional personnel for every corps, for some extra equipment.

Not all Rutgers personnel are convinced that their stadium should be used by anyone other than football team; sometimes even Rutgers own band has to do extra politics to use stadium.

Setting sun for performers is a hassle although seating for audience is a plus.

• 1 month later...

So my first post of the year took considerably longer to get up than I expected, but here it is: Teeny-tiny Woodburn HS, home of the Drums of Fire event for several years. This will be my first in a series of posts on venues in the Pacific NW, since that region definitely deserves to have its time in the spotlight.

http://marchingarenas.blogspot.com/2016/02/woodburn-or-woodburn-hs.html

Cadets tried this two years ago.

Several factors negated the ease of management of the show:

Rutgers rents neighboring fields, parking lots, and facilities for other uses. Practice areas for corps, parking for spectators, and flow of buses/pit equipment/props highly impacted.

Steep inclines for bringing front ensemble equipment and show props to and from staging areas and field required additional personnel for every corps, for some extra equipment.

Not all Rutgers personnel are convinced that their stadium should be used by anyone other than football team; sometimes even Rutgers own band has to do extra politics to use stadium.

Setting sun for performers is a hassle although seating for audience is a plus.

I agree... great place for a football game.... not so great for a marching music event.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update from Oregon- Hillsboro Stadium, in the Portland suburbs.

http://marchingarenas.blogspot.com/2016/02/hillsboro-stadium-hillsboro-or.html

Nice stadium blog you have!

I have not seen anything here about Gillette. Home of the cheatin (but multi Super Bowl Champion) Patriots. All that aside, the Crusaders put on one heck of an anniversary show last year and Gillette was an awesome stadium for it IMO. Not only is the stadium excellent with seating & sound, but the overall facility with restaurants, shops and entertainment on site, makes for a great & fun drum corps day. And they having their show there again this year. I can't wait. A bit of a step up from Lawrence. Hope it stays successful and they can keep it there.