Plymouth Hometown concert

joefanalum

HUH? :blink:

PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT

Now showing on Broadway:

Based on the Oscar award-winning film, Priscilla tells the story of Tick, Bernadette and Adam, a glamorous Sydney-based performing trio that agree to take their show to the middle of the Australian outback.

:-)

No, silly, he was referring to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. It's sort of like an Australian Bird Cage.

Oh, Lordy, Marmen. You and Haring (and you too Lisko!) are too much! :doh:

Of course I was referring to Longfellow's classic tale, "The Courtship of Miles Standish." Based on the characters John Alden, Miles Standish and Priscilla Mullins who were real pilgrims in Plymouth Colony, it's not certain if the tale itself is true or fictional. But then, you all knew that, right? :tongue:

My first trip to Plymouth, can't wait! Proud to wear the yellow coat! Hoping some day my "other" alumni corps gets invited.

Oh, Lordy, Marmen. You and Haring (and you too Lisko!) are too much! :doh:

Of course I was referring to Longfellow's classic tale, "The Courtship of Miles Standish." Based on the characters John Alden, Miles Standish and Priscilla Mullins who were real pilgrims in Plymouth Colony, it's not certain if the tale itself is true or fictional. But then, you all knew that, right? :tongue:

How should I know if it's true or not? Lisko and Haring were there; they can tell you. As I think I said earlier, my peeps were there waiting when those idiots crashed into the rock.

So rather than hang around for this "courtship" foolishness, we simply went to the local high school football game - the Redskins vs. the Braves.

Don't know about anyone else, but my belt size goes up a notch after this show each year.

Think about it... Lobster, fried clams, scallops, fried flounder... And that's only breakfast!

Don't forget the baked filet of sole (stuffed w/ crabmeat, covered with Neuburg sauce), or a bucket of "steamah's" (cherrystone or Little Neck clams steamed in beer, served with drawn butter), or the New England clam chowdah (creamy - w/o any stupid tomatoes) .... all washed down by pitcher of Sam Adams Boston Lager.

:lookaround:

Edited by Navillus WP

Don't forget the baked filet of sole (stuffed w/ crabmeat, covered with Neuburg sauce), or a bucket of "steamah's" (cherrystone or Little Neck clams steamed in beer, served with drawn butter), or the New England clam chowdah (creamy - w/o any stupid tomatoes) .... all washed down by pitcher of Sam Adams Boston Lager.

:lookaround:

You're absolutely right about those "stupid tomatos." That stuff is like a can of Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup - with a can of chopped clams dropped in. Yuck!!!

I will argue with you, however, about the littlenecks vs cherrystones. One steams littlenecks, but eats cherrystones off the half-shell. Them's the rules!

• Like 1

I will argue with you, however, about the littlenecks vs cherrystones. One steams littlenecks, but eats cherrystones off the half-shell. Them's the rules!

Andy: Little Necks, Top Necks, and Cherrystones are different sizes of the "soft-shelled clam" (Mya arenaria). Save the Quoahogs for fried clams (with bellies of course), baked stuffed clams, or for chowdah.

The best Little Necks in a good seafood restaurant - or being served to very special guests at home - are often eaten raw "on the half-shell" with a spritz of lemon or a dab of horseradish. If there are any fresh Little Necks remaining, steam-em-up, by all means.

But, if the best/freshest Little Necks are gone and the guests are yearning for traditional steamah's - or the freshest option in the market is cherrystones - steam the cherrystones in brine and beer, and serve w/ drawn butter, not melted oleo (shudder at the thought.) My family recipe adds a very light touch of fresh minced garlic to the drawn butter. :rolleyes:

P.S. you're talkin' to an "Ipswich Boy" ovah heah....

clambox_ipswich.jpg

Edited by Navillus WP

Andy: Little Necks, Top Necks, and Cherrystones are different sizes of the "soft-shelled clam" (Mya arenaria). Save the Quoahogs for fried clams (with bellies of course), baked stuffed clams, or for chowdah.

The best Little Necks in a good seafood restaurant - or being served to very special guests at home - are often eaten raw "on the half-shell" with a spritz of lemon or a dab of horseradish. If there are any fresh Little Necks remaining, steam-em-up, by all means.

But, if the best/freshest Little Necks are gone and the guests are yearning for traditional steamah's - or the freshest option in the market is cherrystones - steam the cherrystones in brine and beer, and serve w/ drawn butter, not melted oleo (shudder at the thought.) My family recipe adds a very light touch of fresh minced garlic to the drawn butter. :rolleyes:

P.S. you're talkin' to an "Ipswich Boy" ovah heah....

clambox_ipswich.jpg

I love the touch of minced garlic to the drawn butter. I'm going to have to try that - and soon. And heaven forbid that one should use oleo or margarine. We'll leave that to Haring. He'll never know the difference.

By the way, thanks for the photo of the Clam Box - one of my faves. Tell me, is Woodman's still going strong?

Woodman's was my five-year-old daughter's introduction to steamed clams. She ate so many (including mine) that she made herself sick. When she got back from the bathroom, she ate some more. Now, thirty-five years later, she did the same thing about three weeks ago - only not at Woodman's.

Nice.

I sure do know the difference between margarine and butter. Heavy use of margarine cuts your lifespan by 10-15 years, and butter by 20. LOL.

And what the heck is oleo? Sounds like some sort of chant. Maybe it's something the folks in Cleveland use to try to ward off snowstorms. They line the banks of Lake Erie and shout "Oleo, oleo!!!!!"

Of course, it still snows like an SOB anyway. :tongue:

So... I'm looking at a basic menu of clam chowdah, lobster rolls, clams, maybe some New England popovers... plus chocolate-covered cranberries from that candy store in town, and cupcakes from Cupcake Charlie's.

That should get me through my first day there. :thumbup:

• Like 1