Random Encounters

Ahh, the chaos of the first day of a new semester. Walking the hall to my next class, I get finger tapping my shirt and a female voice saying "Santa Clara is my favorite". I was wearing a Bluecoats t-shirt.

Huh? Wha? Wait! :w00t:

Too late, she was already gone into the crowd. I hope this isn't creepy but, I'm gonna have to hunt this girl down. :tongue:

I was just browsing the threads but when I read this I actually signed into my account just so I could give it a +1! Best of luck! tongue.gif

• Like 1

Ahh, the chaos of the first day of a new semester. Walking the hall to my next class, I get finger tapping my shirt and a female voice saying "Santa Clara is my favorite". I was wearing a Bluecoats t-shirt.

Huh? Wha? Wait! :w00t:

Too late, she was already gone into the crowd. I hope this isn't creepy but, I'm gonna have to hunt this girl down. :tongue:

The hopes and dreams of a thousand lonely drum corps males is in your hands....

• Like 2

I recently achieved my first random encounter...and during my first year being concerned with Drum Corps.

My son goes to a college about 40 miles from home. Last year, he lived at home and commuted. It saved money, but had some downsides in terms of time, wear and tear on his car and safety issues with driving in the snow. This year, my ex-wife and I investigated the possibility of parking her camper at an RV park closer to school and let him live there during the school year. At one place, we mentioned that he was a musician, played horn and mello and brought up concerns that he would be disturbing other residents.

The park owner understood our concerns because it turned out that his nephew was the mello section leader for Blue Knights...the corps and section my son was in.

As others have said...small world!

• Like 1

I have a non-band student in one of my classes who saw some of my pictures of DCI, marching band, etc., on my bulletin board in class, and said, "I think my dad did some of that when he was young." I asked him who his dad marched for, and he told me he would ask when he got home. The next day the student brought me a Crossmen button/pin from 1976, and said his dad wanted me to have it. Of course, I called home to check if this was true, and sure enough, the dad marched Bones from 75-77. Last night we had our open house at school, and I met the dad in person, and we talked long after the open house was over. I thanked him for the gracious gift. It still is a Small "Drum Corps" World.

Edited by ibexpercussion

I have a non-band student in one of my classes who saw some of my pictures of DCI, marching band, etc., on my bulletin board in class, and said, "I think my dad did some of that when he was young." I asked him who his dad marched for, and he told me he would ask when he got home. The next day the student brought me a Crossmen button/pin from 1976, and said his dad wanted me to have it. Of course, I called home to check if this was true, and sure enough, the dad marched Bones from 75-77. Last night we had our open house at school, and I met the dad in person, and we talked long after the open house was over. I thanked him for the gracious gift. It still is a Small "Drum Corps" World.

I wonder who that was. I probably marched with him.

I have a few odd encounters.

Back in the mid to late 80's, I was invited by a friend to sit in the audience of Saturday Night Live. I wore my Crossmen "Boeing Beach" T-shirt. The NBC page who was showing us to our seats looked at the shirt and said he was a Crossmen alumnus also.

About twelve years ago, my company was merging with another one and I was one of the first people to move into a floor with people from the other company. Two offices from me was someone who marched the same time in the Crossmen that I did. I had no idea anyone from the corps was in the same business I was.

We were on our way to finals this year in our motorhome, towing my truck behind. Route 70, about 2 1/2 easy hours.

Crusing along nicely in the left lane, passing some slow traffic. The lead car in the slow lane was an older couple driving a Lincoln. Doing about 55, clueless of the line that had backed up behind him.

About 15 minutes later I'm in the right lane going 70 mph when I see in my left mirror a car coming fast in the fast lane. As it passed he started laying on the horn. "What the heck?", I thought. I hadn't bothered anyone all morning. As he got past me I recognized that it was that same Lincoln.

Apparently laying on the horn threw off his concentration because just barely past me he cut over in my lane and put on his brakes! Now, I'm driving nearly 60 feet and 45,000 pounds; stopping ain't so easy and I had to jump hard on the brakes to prevent running up this guys tailpipe. I quick-glanced to the left lane and cut to the left, hard, missing him by about 10 feet with my truck-in-tow fishtailing behind me.

My momentum carried me up beside the guy and as I look over I see this huge, white smile and this guy waiving his hat at me. His wife was bent down almost in his lap looking up at us.

On his had it said "Phantom Regiment". He had seen the PR license plate I have attached to the ladder at the back of the motorhome, and he got pretty excited about letting me know he was going to Indy, too.

I didn't know whether to laugh and wave in recognition, or flip him off. I waved my cap back at him

I don't think he ever fully understood how close we came to hitting him in this random encounter.

As he pulled ahead and let me move back to the right I saw his license plate. He was from New Jersey.

• Like 1

I wonder who that was. I probably marched with him.

I have a few odd encounters.

Back in the mid to late 80's, I was invited by a friend to sit in the audience of Saturday Night Live. I wore my Crossmen "Boeing Beach" T-shirt. The NBC page who was showing us to our seats looked at the shirt and said he was a Crossmen alumnus also.

About twelve years ago, my company was merging with another one and I was one of the first people to move into a floor with people from the other company. Two offices from me was someone who marched the same time in the Crossmen that I did. I had no idea anyone from the corps was in the same business I was.

I was thinking the same thing, wondering who he is. I marched Crossmen 75+76. I still have an original decal and patch. Still like seeing everyone at shows.

I attended Blast in NY and after the show I talked to 2 drummers from the show who marched Crossmen. This year while on vacation in Orlando, we went to see Crossmen at the Orlando show and the next day we ran into a bunch of members in EPCOT and spent some time while it was raining real hard outside. That was a great experience. A couple of years ago, at a hotel in Va, a parent of a member of Carolina Crown and I talked for a couple of hours because he noticed my BONES shirt.

• 3 months later...

I took a break from the colder Baltimore weather and headed to the Orlando area the past few days for the Russell Athletic Bowl game.

Friday morning, I was having breakfast at a place near my hotel, when three young people walked in... one of the girls was wearing a Boston Crusaders T-shirt.

I went over to talk to them for a bit, and it turns out she marched in the Crusaders last season!!! :thumbup: