Teal Sound 2012

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the adult administration of the 2012 Teal Sound organization?

• Yes
    • No

Seems like a bad business decision, I doubt what he can offer is so unique and special that it could make up for all the baggage he brings

I think it will hurt recruiting, can Teal afford that?

im sure what they are counting on only because it has happened before ALOT IN WGI..people talk for a while , it dies down and the person in question walks around like nothing happened..

I guess I have another thought to throw into the discussion.

In all things...it's weighing the risks. And corps AND many organizations...and our electorate do the same thing.

Marion Berry...great example.

People decide whether they will risk the hire. That's what Teal Sound has done. That's what another corps I know about has done...although they told the individual to remove all involvement with their corps off his net profile...everywere...Facebook, etc. So, from the outside it doesn't look like this person works for the corps. I have it on good authority though, the person still does and will "return" on an official basis once the charges are cleared (if they are cleared. Grand Juries can go either way, but I gotta hunch I know how they'll go on this case.

There's a huge divide between being a pedophile and sexual predator and a "predatory action".

We do not have the facts, and what facts I've read aren't good, but they aren't that of a sexual predator or pedophile.

That is a fundamental problem that I have with this whole thread.

So, the black and white, cut and dry application of a standard of two different scenarios is disconcerting. The mob is a dangerous thing. A witch hunt is not in order in this scenario.

I do understand the issues of an educator dating a student. This case seems to be exactly why something like this shouldn't happen. There are too many things unknown and withheld to pass life condemning judgement. The line drawn for pedophilia is drawn at 18 years old, not 18 and a hair. The line isn't 18 AND graduated from high school. The line for sexual predator is likely anything that is NOT consensual, yet pressed.

There are two theoretical issues here for me: One is the age issue. The other is the student/teacher issue. The student/teacher issue is the only one with merit. This would be present no matter what the two people ages. Obviously, this seems to be a line that was crossed, possibly by all parties. It's not good, it's not productive, and it causes a lot of problems.

None of us have any facts on this drama other than the newspaper article. That told me that it's not a pedophile, which is the most important thing to me. The student/teacher issues is bad. I'm glad I don't have to deal with this issue personally.

I dont understand what additional facts you would. If all you know is that he made suggestive texts to a student and discussed the idea that it would be bad if others found out, isn't that enough? I don't care if that is clinically a pedophile, a predator, or simply extremely poor judgement; if that happened he crossed a line that cannot be crossed. Second chances in life? Certainly! Second chances educating teenagers and young adults? Absolutely not!

• Like 2

While this is tacky and demonstrates poor judgement, there was nothing illegal or predatory about the situation.

18 is a legal adult the world over and many countries earlier.

If you are able to be trusted with the maturity to vote or go to war or stand trial for criminal actions at 18, you are certainly able to handle such a situation.

Again, extremely poor judgement, certainly tacky... but nothing illegal.

Participating in a youth activity in a role that might directly interface with youth is probably not the best move from a PR perspective, but the way this situation is described in this thread certainly seems to blow things way out of proportion.

Balogna! It might not be a legal issue, I am not sure, but it is much more than simply tacky and it is CLEARLY predatory. This was a teacher/student relationship. That makes his advances, whether welcomed or not, predatory for incredibly obvious reasons. Even if it does not violate any laws because of the relative ages, I am willing to bet it violates the ethics codes of every agency that hands out teachers licenses in the country.

• Like 4

In other cultures, women are taught to essentially nip it in the bud, to make their opinion very clear upfront and to look out for themselves. As a result, incidents are so rare that there really is no need for policy.

What " cultures " are 17-18 year old students " taught " to nip agressive sexual advances by their much older teacher " in the bud " and to essentially " look out for themselves " so that there is no need for a school " policy " ?

Edited by BRASSO

As mentioned before, what this discussion does highlight is that we may not be preparing youth well enough or helping them to develop essential life skills.

Or.... that it highlights that we may not be preparing and screening some of our teachers well enough to avoid abusing their position of trust.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

im sure what they are counting on only because it has happened before ALOT IN WGI..people talk for a while , it dies down and the person in question walks around like nothing happened..

Sometimes they walk around like nothing happened.....because.....nothing happened. They make choices for the good of the school or corps or guard. These decisions to retire or move on are not always an indication of their guilt. Sometimes even the innocent can't fight the system. I hope you never have to deal with the justice system in a situation where you were falsely accused of something. It can be devastating on many levels. I am not condoning the actions of anyone that makes bad decisions involving young people. Just remember.....all is takes to ruin a good teacher is an accusation from a disgruntled student or parent. Happens everyday somewhere.

Just remember.....all is takes to ruin a good teacher is an accusation from a disgruntled student or parent. Happens everyday somewhere.

Absolutely.. and just remember, all it takes to ruin a good student is an agressive sexual advance on the student where the teacher tells the student he wants a physical and sexual relationship with the student and solicits her to lie to everyone if the sexual episode(s) ever become public. The breech of trust in adults by young people can be lost forever. ' Happens everyday somewhere.

• Like 1

Absolutely.. and just remember, all it takes to ruin a good student is an agressive sexual advance on the student where the teacher tells the student he wants a physical and sexual relationship with the student and solicits her to lie to everyone if the sexual episode(s) ever become public. The breech of trust in adults by young people can be lost forever. ' Happens everyday somewhere.

Absolutely!! I just wanted to point out that educators are guilty by accusation. Even those that are cleared still have career issues to deal with.

• Like 2