Teal Sound 2012

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the adult administration of the 2012 Teal Sound organization?

• Yes
    • No

I not only support the current Teal Sound management, I support the decision to hire Joel Moody. While I knew it had the possibility of it being being a PR problem because of those who would make an uninformed snap judgement and being driving those with an ax to grind with the new management team. If you are a member of Teal Sound, the parent of a member of Teal Sound you probably know me, if you are the parent of a potential Teal Sound member get to know me (or ask around about me). I have Volunteered full time for the last three years and completed three full tours with Teal Sound and one thing I put above all else is the members of the Corps.

I have three daughters two of which have marched with Teal Sound in the past, both started marching at the age of 16, none of whom marched this last season. They may or may not march again but that is driven by school schedules and not one person or group of persons currently with Teal and certainly not Joel. I was aware, in detail, of the incident every one has been discussing here and can assure you I have not one concern bout Joel and especially about him being a predator of kids. I was unconcerned enough to allow my 17 year old daughter to fly in and fill a vacant intern position with Teal Sound this year. My daughter's work required direct interaction and working with Joel on a daily basis with no issues or even minuscule concern on mine or my daughters part, FYI my daughter was aware of the incident prior to coming in.

What Joel did was unethical and wrong and regardless of why it happened or the intent of the text it was wrong. Posters on this board have said if parents do I background check on Teal Sound staff they will pull there kids. Joel has received , as far as I know, a class II volunteer rating in the state of Florida since this happened which means he has nothing on his record that prevents him with working minors. His current position with Teal Sound is working with Staff at Teal Sound and not with the members and if even if he did I have no concern. I feel, having worked with Joel, that he has learned how something even sent in a text, he never attempted anything with the young lady, can be wrong and if nothing else he works to ensure nothing that can be misconstrued or appears inappropriate happens again.

I ask that those who are involved or planning to be involved with Teal Sound take the time to find out the truth about this and then make a judgement. To those who are using this to throw rocks at Teal I suggest you move on as you have your own issues you do not want to come out that I feel are just as bad. I have restrained from posting as I feel nothing can be accomplished by doing so but I will not allow uninformed to rule the day. A person/parent hearing about this has a right to be concerned and find out the details in order to make their decision but I can assure you you will not find it on DCP.

Will not post again on this subject if you are a parent and concerned contact me directly and I will take the time to fill you in on the details and hopefully address your concerns. I have no skin in this game except as someone who has given three years, countless hours along with my body and soul to drum corps.

"Never argue with a pig. It just frustrates you and irritates the pig."

Edited by Stedwoo
  • Like 7

How about every culture in Western world aside from US and UK? Actually younger... than that... like early teens.

Yes but we are discussing something that happened in the US.

• Like 1

I not only support the current Teal Sound management, I support the decision to hire Joel Moody. While I knew it had the possibility of it being being a PR problem because of those who would make an uninformed snap judgement and being driving those with an ax to grind with the new management team.

While I don't begrudge you of your passion for Teal Sound, and while I will not begin to stipulate about Mr. Moody's abilities or revelations of morals, I'm sure you can understand people's concern in this manner. I wouldn't necessarily say that some who finds a teacher who admittedly sent sexually explicit texts to a current student that seemingly propositioned sexual relations with him as making an "uninformed snap judgement." The accounts of Moody, the student, and the contents of the texts are a matter of public record via the newspaper article, so that's not exactly uninformed.

Again, I appreciate your passion for Teal Sound, and I'm glad you and your family have had great experiences with the organization. That being said, I'm sure even you would admit that there were likely similar options for Teal Sound as far as staffing that would've caused significantly less controversy

I not only support the current Teal Sound management, I support the decision to hire Joel Moody. While I knew it had the possibility of it being being a PR problem because of those who would make an uninformed snap judgement and being driving those with an ax to grind with the new management team.

"Never argue with a pig. It just frustrates you and irritates the pig."

While your support of this decision is your choice, and of course unassailable, you overstep your bounds in my opinion when you castigate the opponents of the decision to hire this individual and who believe this was an unwise decision by Teal Sound made " a snap decision and are being driven by those with an ax to grind with the new management team." You can't possibly ascribe motivation for those of us that oppose this decision, as much as those of us who oppose it can assign motivations for Teal Sound to bring this individual into their organization. Furthermore, your description of those who oppose this decision as " pigs "as in the " never argue with a pig " quip, is a most unfortunate analogy. It is a terrible use of an analogy and should not have been brought up here in your closing remarks at all. Nobody here brought up a " pig " analogy and used this term with this individual.Likewise, noone should bring up the " pig " analogy to those who believe this to be a wrong headed decision to hire this guy. Your " pig " analogy took away from what was otherwise a somewhat compelling and non confrontational defense of Teal Sound and their decision here, from someone such as yourself who has been associated with Teal Sound for quite some time.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I not only support the current Teal Sound management, I support the decision to hire Joel Moody. While I knew it had the possibility of it being being a PR problem because of those who would make an uninformed snap judgement and being driving those with an ax to grind with the new management team. If you are a member of Teal Sound, the parent of a member of Teal Sound you probably know me, if you are the parent of a potential Teal Sound member get to know me (or ask around about me). I have Volunteered full time for the last three years and completed three full tours with Teal Sound and one thing I put above all else is the members of the Corps.

Signing your post would lend a lot more credibility to your views on this topic.

• Like 1

While I don't begrudge you of your passion for Teal Sound, and while I will not begin to stipulate about Mr. Moody's abilities or revelations of morals, I'm sure you can understand people's concern in this manner. I wouldn't necessarily say that some who finds a teacher who admittedly sent sexually explicit texts to a current student that seemingly propositioned sexual relations with him as making an "uninformed snap judgement." The accounts of Moody, the student, and the contents of the texts are a matter of public record via the newspaper article, so that's not exactly uninformed.

Again, I appreciate your passion for Teal Sound, and I'm glad you and your family have had great experiences with the organization. That being said, I'm sure even you would admit that there were likely similar options for Teal Sound as far as staffing that would've caused significantly less controversy

:withstupid:

( usual discliamers)

While your support of this decision is your choice, and of course unassailable, you overstep your bounds in my opinion when you castigate the opponents of the decision to hire this individual and who believe this was an unwise decision by Teal Sound made " a snap decision and are being driven by those with an ax to grind with the new management team." You can't possibly ascribe motivation for those of us that oppose this decision, as much as those of us who oppose it can assign motivations for Teal Sound to bring this individual into their organization. Furthermore, your description of those who oppose this decision as " pigs "as in the " never argue with a pig " quip, is a most unfortunate analogy. It is a terrible use of an analogy and should not have been brought up here in your closing remarks at all. Nobody here brought up a " pig " analogy and used this term with this individual.Likewise, noone should bring up the " pig " analogy to those who believe this to be a wrong headed decision to hire this guy. Your " pig " analogy took away from what was otherwise a somewhat compelling and non confrontational defense of Teal Sound and their decision here, from someone such as yourself who has been associated with Teal Sound for quite some time.

let's be honest. many of those who have spoken up have no ####### clue who the new management of Teal even is, nor care.

We care about drum corps being healthy, run more business like, and free of bad PR like this.

• Like 2

Nobody wants to admit it, but this is an issue that happens to a lot of drum corps and youth music ensembles. Some of it's ethically and morally sound (i.e. instructors who form relationships with former students WELL after graduation/aging out. I know five current instructors who married or are engaged to former students).

Some of it's just creepy and continues to be a cancer in this activity, though.

Teal Sound made one of the dumbest mistakes a non-profit organization could possibly make. Even if Danielray is right and this issue is blown out of proportion, a simple Google search for this person will bring up enough to scare the crap out of many prospective members and volunteers.

What's even more frightening is to see no attempt at damage-control from a supposed "World Class" organization. After working behind the scenes for a corps that no longer exists and seeing some horrible decisions made, it pains me to see a group with such promise shoot itself in the foot.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 2

Nobody wants to admit it, but this is an issue that happens to a lot of drum corps and youth music ensembles. Some of it's ethically and morally sound (i.e. instructors who form relationships with former students WELL after graduation/aging out. I know five current instructors who married or are engaged to former students).

Some of it's just creepy and continues to be a cancer in this activity, though.

Teal Sound made one of the dumbest mistakes a non-profit organization could possibly make. Even if Danielray is right and this issue is blown out of proportion, a simple Google search for this person will bring up enough to scare the crap out of many prospective members and volunteers.

What's even more frightening is to see no attempt at damage-control from a supposed "World Class" organization. After working behind the scenes for a corps that no longer exists and seeing some horrible decisions made, it pains me to see a group with such promise shoot itself in the foot.

If they're going to have the guy on staff, better to be upfront about it now and let the chips fall where they may. It would be a MUCH uglier scene if they went the "don't ask, don't tell" route and this whole business surfaced the last week of July for example. I don't even want to think about how damaging THAT whole scene could be, it could effectively kill the corps mid-season if enough decided to either leave voluntarily or were pulled out by their parents in a knee-jerk reaction.

The bottom line is that only the two people involved TRULY know all of the facts. I will agree that it was a monumental error in judgement. IMO, Teal did the right thing by getting it out in the open NOW...as for whether they should have hired him in the first place, really isn't my call because I DON'T know all the facts. From what I have gathered in a few posts, he won't have contact with the corps members, so their safety doesn't appear to be compromised. Both Teal and this individual must realize that now he will be literally be living under the microscope.