What Really Matters

63 members have voted

1. 1. What will set off the DCP discussion in 2012 (pick one only):

• Comments by DCI and/or corps officials
    • Policies issued or enforced by DCI and/or corps
    • Insufficient entertainment value of programs/shows
    • One or more controversial program designs
    • Continued and expanded use of electronics (including synths but not amped voice)
    • Amplified voice as a unique electronics concern
    • Judges placements
    • Tour schedule, including venues
    • Lucas Oil Stadium in all its aspects
    • Fan Network functionality and/or performance
    • Cinecasts and their arrangements
    • Economic cost of participation for fans or members

It’s not that far off. The outrage. The indignation. The righteous dismay.

Soon corps will begin revealing their 2012 programs to be followed inevitably by the usual second-guessing and sniping along with some legitimate criticism on DCP. The judges will have their view. So will the DCP grand jury.

What will we despise? What will set our blood to boil? What will inspire us to forecast the demise of drum corps?

Check the list. Cast your ballot for the one issue that you think will raise the most bile on DCP in 2012. Get it right. If not, we might all have to agree to agree in 2013!

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 4

It’s not that far off. The outrage. The indignation. The righteous dismay.

Soon corps will begin revealing their 2012 programs to be followed inevitably by the usual second-guessing and sniping along with some legitimate criticism on DCP. The judges will have their view. So will the DCP grand jury.

What will we despise? What will set our blood to boil? What will inspire us to forecast the demise of drum corps?

Check the list. Cast your ballot for the one issue that you think will raise the most bile on DCP in 2012. Get it right. If not, we might all have to agree to agree in 2013!

HH

What a jaundiced view of things. This is a depressing thread that is bound not to end well in my opinion, and I'm not sure what the motivations are for it. Who cares what will be the topics of most controversy, most interest, or a lightening rod for discussion this year. Just sit back and see what shakes out. My hunch, they'll be enough topics that'll come about to wet the appetite of all tastes during the coming months.

• Like 7

What a jaundiced view of things. This is a depressing thread that is bound not to end well in my opinion, and I'm not sure what the motivations are for it. Who cares what will be the topics of most controversy, most interest, or a lightening rod for discussion this year. Just sit back and see what shakes out. My hunch, they'll be enough topics that'll come about to wet the appetite of all tastes during the coming months.

I was trying to have fun with it. Sorry if my attempt at humor failed. The point is DCP does produce plenty of outrage each season. I thought it would be fun to forecast what will outrage us next year. Anyone who doesn't want to play isn't obligated of course. Anyone who wishes can yell at me at Lucas Oil in August. I'll be the one cheering for every corps.

HH

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the motivations are for it. Who cares what will be the topics of most controversy,

It’s a common spin tactic, a preemptive marginalization through sarcasm to trivialize what are otherwise real issues – it’s the bread and butter of many political, radio blowhards that indulge in creating divisions, hate and rage as opposed to engaging in an honest debate…generally, an intellectual surrender announcing the ‘debate’ will be continued and waged upon appeals to emotional sensationalism and misrepresentation of facts

hth

come now....if i want to participate or not agree with this or not, noone can deny every single option is talked about and debated and many many times fought aboutand of course everyone has the RIGHT answers. We tend not to like to look at our many flaws in black and white. BUT ITS STILL THERE... :lookaround:

....and the REAL blockbuster topic is one that wasn't even listed!

What will be the INT T, feel and sound for 2012?

THAT will be the BIGGEST BUZZ on DCP in 2012!!!

Well, as INT's PR person, I'm proud to announce our theme for 2012. Well, not exactly announce the theme, but hint at it. We've wanted to do something no else else is doing, so just last night, we came up with the tag line, "What is like ice, yet burns like fire?" Since it's beyond not being even remotely likely some other corps will have the same theme, we're confident in going ahead and knowing we'll have it all to ourselves, hopefully not repeating last year's debacle when we settled on our Juliet theme just minutes after Phantom Regiment did the same. (I promised after that I would first talk to PR's INT person, but I forgot to do so this year.)

And don't get me started about how we then decided to do the music of Burt Bacharach because no one had ever done that before. That was even worse than when we found out we had to change the title of our 2009 show about mathematics from "The Great Divide" and altered the concept slightly so we could name it "The Journey of ONE." Yeah, that really worked well for us...for about six hours. People say INT is behind the times, but I like to think we're solidly even with it, but always looking at it from around the corner.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

The actual saying is "whet" with an h!!! :satisfied: Maybe the biggest controversy will be about the grammar police :doh: And if so, I will get plowed under :devil:

Edited by Stu

It’s a common spin tactic, a preemptive marginalization through sarcasm to trivialize what are otherwise real issues ...

I freely concede that my approach to this thread failed to recognize the potential to upset some legitimate sensitivities. You're going to have to take me at my word that I just wanted to have fun projecting what might annoy us most next year. That's all.

Why not have some fun seeing what we as a group expect to go wrong? Because something always does. Is that really so wrong-headed?

HH

• Like 1