What to expect?

Hi all, my name is Daniel and well im going to join a world class corps this season and i dont really know what to expect. Ive only done one year of open class and i want to do world as soon as possible so why not now. Adjusting to open class life took some time and im having doubts if i can succefully adjust into world class life. I can definetely handle rehearsal, but being far away from home and touring throughout the summer, not so sure ._. Any help would be appreciated

Hi all, my name is Daniel and well im going to join a world class corps this season and i dont really know what to expect. Ive only done one year of open class and i want to do world as soon as possible so why not now. Adjusting to open class life took some time and im having doubts if i can succefully adjust into world class life. I can definetely handle rehearsal, but being far away from home and touring throughout the summer, not so sure ._. Any help would be appreciated

If you think you won't be successful in handling the summer-long tour and being away from home, then you won't be successful. If you accept it as a challenge that will make you and your family proud of you for what you'll get out of it and how it will make you grow into being a better person and performer, then you will be successful.

Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."

Corps want members who believe they will enjoy themselves, have something to offer the corps, and will be successful in what they do. A lack of confidence can be spotted a mile away. You don't have to be cocky about it; you just need to realize that you have talent, drive and determination and you're ready to learn something new every day.

not sure how old you are ( and yes that does make a difference with some ) BuT if you aren't sure then you arent ready IMO. its a huge commitment and a dedication is needed. Nervous is ok and staff can help you through your bumps in the road BUT an adult approach is needed for sure. I teach WC and I am always there for someone to talk to BUT when getting down to business a person READY to take this on is needed. The corps I was with sent a few home for the reasons of not being ready toward the end of every days before even hitting the road. Good Luck

Best thing you can do is ask people in the corps you are hoping to join. Watch, listen, learn, ask questions, work hard. That's about it. You'll get great instruction, you'll get to spend the summer creating life-long friendships and memories, and you'll eat and sleep drum corps. From time to time you'll get to do laundry. You might get a handful of free days.

But since your questions seem to center on being so far from home, let me offer this. Drum corps is home away from home - it's a family. Some of them are tight knit, others might be less so. Check out the veteran vibe when you go to auditions and camps. Observation is a very useful skill in this situation.

if you do find yourself getting homesick or feeling down dont bottle it up, talk to someone.

i dont remember my 2nd summer ever missing home, there either wasnt time to miss it or when one routine was starting to get old (a lot of rehearsal days or show days back to back) it would change up.

bring a phone, bring a few pictures, but again do make sure you have someone to talk to. the corps/tour directors are always there to look out for the members.

It's all about what the military calls a PMA (positive mental attitude). That's the first thing that instructors will evaluate you on. Talent is great to have, but guts are more valuable. Attitude is 90% of everything.

At least for myself, when I made the transition from a Div 3 corps of 18-23 horns to one with 23 Euphs, it was a pretty big change to say the least.

The sheer size of div 1 corps requires a higher level of professionalism and initiative from each individual member. In my own experience, we were a pretty competitive div 3 corps (placing 3rd and 4th), but the demands were different. Where it was okay to get something right after 2-3 tries in div 3, you were expected to get things right on the first time in div 1. The desire to hide in the ensemble, and not play during particularly challenging drill, is greater than ever with so many people around you - but you have to have the initiative to not do it.

If you can get past the being away from home all summer issue (which I will say is amazing, and I saw so many people grow be leaps and bounds), then you have to consider if you are up for the constant demands that the corps will put on you. Being in a big corps is incredibly rewarding. You will feel like a rock star all summer, and you will be thinking you are in the best ensemble you have ever been in by the 2nd or 3rd camp (and things are just getting started).

Whatever you do, do it with confidence and leave no regrets.

• Like 2

" I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet. "

Nadia Comaneci, 5 time Olympic Gold Medalist, Gymnastics.

Edited by BRASSO

I'd say that if you want to go to world class, but don't want to spend 3 months away from home, go to a semifinalist or quarterfinalist corps. They generally tend to have shorter tours. They also may split the summer up into 2 tours, one in June and one in July-August. I'd consider that.

Marching in a finalists corps is truly worth being gone for three months (plus monthly camps, which all world class corps do). It may not seem like it's worth it, but wait until your first actual shows, and then it will be.

Edited by Noname

• 2 weeks later...