Question re: Music Rights

I'm sure that's it... big publishing houses, he will make royalty deals with and I believe has to give approval to the arrangements prior to printing for mass sale... I am told that he will still not give performance rights to an individual unit or arranger.

The funniest thing about rights that I ever ran into was that my Rochester Patriots did a considerable number of tunes by Philip Glass. These were arranged by Bill Calhoun and we apparently impressed them... One day, I answered the phone in the office and the person on the other end said they were a relative of Philip Glass (at least then the family controlled this) and that they had been contacted by some guy in Sacramento California named Ray Marr for permission to arrange and play one of his pieces... "We thought of you and knew you would steer us right. Should we trust him? Are they on the up and up?"

lol Ray still owes me a cold one...

That's surprising - Philip Glass is still alive and well last I heard, I can't imagine why his family would be controlling the rights to his music while he is still alive.

Edited by SaraNYC

1978 was a longgggggggggggggggg time ago things and artists, laws, rights hell drum corps also has changed quite a bit in33 years

While the drum corps activity has changed quite a bit since 1978, including honoring copyright, the actual copyright laws have not changed that much and the intellectual property clause in the Constitution has not changed at all. What caused this to become an issue within the activity since 1978 has been the tremendous increase of money exchanging hands within drum corps (paying arrangers, selling audio recordings, selling video recordings, selling performance tickets).

Well yes.....who's gonna really argue with musicians whose FIRST job is "rifleman?"

[/quote]

Q: How many people can say they "marched" in a Corps that requires ALL its' musicians to shoot targets 500 meters away with a rifle with open sights ...?

A: Very Few, and they are Very Proud.

"This is my bugle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My bugle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life."

Edited by Navillus WP

It's an interesting topic, in the UK we don't seem to have any problems with permission arranging music. I know in the past I have marched a show which included John William's music and this was in 2004. I don't know what the exact laws are but I know that in the UK and I'm guessing Europe as well I don't actually think people contact the composers for permission to make an arrangement and if they do have to then there's not that many problems by the amount of "popular" music being played. I only know that at Kidsgrove we did last year as we came over to the States.

The only downfall is that it could hinder the ideas that the staff have for shows, if a certain piece they want to use has its application denied.

But all in all, if we do apply for permission, I wouldn't know because its something behind the scenes. Sorry if my reply is jumbled, I read it back and confused myself.

The only downfall is that it could hinder the ideas that the staff have for shows, if a certain piece they want to use has its application denied.

As in "DCI, Madison Scouts, 2011"?

It's an interesting topic, in the UK we don't seem to have any problems with permission arranging music. I know in the past I have marched a show which included John William's music and this was in 2004. I don't know what the exact laws are but I know that in the UK and I'm guessing Europe as well I don't actually think people contact the composers for permission to make an arrangement and if they do have to then there's not that many problems by the amount of "popular" music being played. I only know that at Kidsgrove we did last year as we came over to the States.

But all in all, if we do apply for permission, I wouldn't know because its something behind the scenes. Sorry if my reply is jumbled, I read it back and confused myself.

There is a possibility that John Williams has also copyrighted his materials in the UK. But even if he has not done so, there are two principal international copyright convention treaties in which countries agree to honor copyrights of other countries: the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) and the Universal Copyright Convention (UCC). Both the UK and the USA have signed these agreements. This means that your units staff in the UK have either secured permission from the copyright holders or they have chosen to ignore the agreements between the UK and the USA.

lol... jumbled? Not!

First when Kidsgrove did the USA tour was not all their music original? except for a quick melodic line here or there?

as for the copyright laws... I'm afraid it's like drum corps here in the 70's and 80's... fat, dumb and happy... (and politely ignoring the laws) DCI with their increased media sales, movie house outlets for simulcast and before, very visable TV broadcasts brought much needed attention to the activity - this was an unwanted result... now we have too many hungry lawyers... could we send some to England?

Edited by TomPeashey

.... The only downfall is that it could hinder the ideas that the staff have for shows, if a certain piece they want to use has its application denied.....

So what? Far better to hinder show ideas through denial of permission than overlooking the stealing of intellectual property by the staff.

• Like 1

lol... jumbled? Not!

First when Kidsgrove did the USA tour was not all their music original? except for a quick melodic line here or there?

as for the copyright laws... I'm afraid it's like drum corps here in the 70's and 80's... fat, dumb and happy... (and politely ignoring the laws) DCI with their increased media sales, movie house outlets for simulcast and before, very visable TV broadcasts brought much needed attention to the activity - this was an unwanted result... now we have too many hungry lawyers... could we send some to England?

Having integrity and ethics in honoring the law and the curtailing of staff stealing intellectual property from the rightful owners; those are unwanted results?

• Like 1

lol... jumbled? Not!

youre right on all accouts. The sales drew lots of attention BUT I would also say WHy shouldnt an artists or whoever want to protect their work or decide for themselves if they do or dont want it reproduced by various other forms of music outlets. Why shouldnt someone be paid for their work to be used. Also have the right to give it away IF they choose.

Edited by GUARDLING