Alumni calling it quits

JerryS61

When should a alumni corps think of calling it quits? I'm sure there's corps that struggle with this question from time to time.And no I don't know of any that are thinking of it.

When should a alumni corps think of calling it quits? I'm sure there's corps that struggle with this question from time to time.And no I don't know of any that are thinking of it.

In our 20 year history, we have taken a couple performance seasons off,.........but have never completely folded up our tent,..............for us, it is about the people first,........then the performance,........

When you can't recruit enough people to fill out the corps to the size/quality standard you set for yourself (not necessarily the standards others set for you).

When you can't afford to operate in a responsible manner. Although you can take a hiatus or two if it will help.

When your leadership is tired and ready to move on and no one will step up to carry the torch.

When it's no longer fun.

But when you do...that doesn't mean you can't do things other than a full alumni corps. You can do a mini corps. You can do a small ensemble. You can do non-musical things to keep people connected with each other. If you're connected to a competing corps or if there's one nearby, you can stay involved by helping the other corps. Just stay connected to each other and to drum corps somehow.

From personal experience, we decided to call it quits when we were down to about 11 or 12 members, and we weren't able to recruit new blood. We trudged along with that core group for the better part of a year, but we knew we couldn't go out on the street with four drums, three horns, an A-flag section and a drum major (and THAT was if everybody could make it). All but about 3 or so members decided to continue marching and found other corps to hook up with. We were still in pretty good shape financially, so the remaining members all went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant, and split whatever was left in the bank account between our horn and drum instructors (who had been volunteering their time for years up to that point). We donated our instruments to a recently formed alumni corps who had gotten together for a "one more time" performance and still had enough who wanted to keep it going (who, by the way, are still going strong 15 years later). I also know of corps alumni groups who are still active as a group, but not as a drum corps (Cardinals Alumni of Beverly, MA come to mind). They sponsor a DCI show every year and use the proceeds to provide scholarships to members of each competing corps in the show, plus some local students who may not even be affiliated with drum corps.

From personal experience, we decided to call it quits when we were down to about 11 or 12 members, and we weren't able to recruit new blood. We trudged along with that core group for the better part of a year, but we knew we couldn't go out on the street with four drums, three horns, an A-flag section and a drum major (and THAT was if everybody could make it). All but about 3 or so members decided to continue marching and found other corps to hook up with. We were still in pretty good shape financially, so the remaining members all went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant, and split whatever was left in the bank account between our horn and drum instructors (who had been volunteering their time for years up to that point). We donated our instruments to a recently formed alumni corps who had gotten together for a "one more time" performance and still had enough who wanted to keep it going (who, by the way, are still going strong 15 years later). I also know of corps alumni groups who are still active as a group, but not as a drum corps (Cardinals Alumni of Beverly, MA come to mind). They sponsor a DCI show every year and use the proceeds to provide scholarships to members of each competing corps in the show, plus some local students who may not even be affiliated with drum corps.

Grump,

I was going to bring up the Cardinals Alumni - a very active non-performing group, but yet still making a contribution as a group. You mentioned the scholarships, which they've been awarding for years. And there's an annual get-together (golf, harbor cruise, cookout, etc.) - usually around the time of the DCI show. They have a rather active Facebook page, and a pretty good website.

So to answer the original question, there are plenty of things that a group can do besides performing, but yet still maintaining an active alumni.

Never.

Never.

Naahhh ... it happens ... at least from the performance aspect of an Alumni group ... two popular Alumni Corps that no longer perform are the Light Brigade and the Yankee Rebels ... their journies have been well chronicled online ... I agree with others who have posted that the people aspect outweighs the performance factor ... each situation is unique and personal to its own organization ... I feel lucky that my Skyliner Alumni Family has several outlets for me: a thriving and active Alumni Corps, a caring and social Alumni Association and a very popular Alumni Chorus, which performs at the Annual GAS Reunion and various DCA functions ... and ... when all else is done, entrance into the NY SIDELINERS

Andy "Grand Poobah of the NY SIDELINERS" Lisko

• Like 1