Silver Sabres

Surfers

Vestal Grenadiers

Tri-Town cadets

Buckeyes

Des Plaines Vanguard

Nee Hi's

Argonne Rebels

I saw a few of the corps. The list seems random. I don't know how to reply, oh my. Could you do me a favour please Keith. I'm shy. You're good at starting threads. Could you start a thread about drum harnesses over the years please? I'm curious :) Here's 2 of bass drummers from 73.

73-drum-1.jpg

73-drum-2.jpg

Edit: If you could Keith, please also start a thread for the Eye-Openers from Marshalltown Iowa. One of the ladies that came to our reunion in Edmonton 2011 lives in Iowa :)

Edited by lindap

Linda...shy? Come on! LOL

More...

Eye Openers

St. Ignatius Girls

Audobon Bon Bons

Mavericks (PA)

Black Watch (WA and NJ)

Mighty Liberators

Floridians

White Knights (MD)

Royal Knights (WI)

more to follow

Greece Cadets' last year on the field was 1981. They merged with Rochester Patriots in '82 to form Fusion, and in '83 Greece's organization merged with the Gauchos to form the

Cadets of Upstate New York, which was only on the field in '83.

Sundowners (there were two of them, one in Eau Claire, WI, the other was an all-girl corps from Dumont, NJ). The WI corps was on the field through the '84 season, went inactive, then came back for their last two seasons

in '87 and '88. The NJ corps was on the field through '81.

Regiment Militaire was only known by that name in '74. They came back as Bleu Raeders for the 75, 76, 78, 79 & 80 seasons. In 81 they merged with Stardusters to form the Southernaires, who were active in 81 and 82.

Southernaires (see above).

Emerald Cadets were on the field under that name through the 75 season. (They had absorbed the Trumbull Cadets in 73.) In 76 they merged with the Golden Buccaneers to form the Emerald Buccaneers, who lasted

just that 76 season.

Emerald Knights (once again, there were more than one by that name. The IA corps was on the field under that name through the 90 season. In 91 they merged with the Knights organization. They came back as Nite Express

for the 91-96 seasons. The NY corps by the Emerald Knights name was on the field through 74. The Ontario corps by the EK name was on the field through 2002.

Silver Sabres (I presume you mean the KS corps.) They were initially on the field through the 78 season. They came back for one final time on the field in 2004.

Surfers' last year by that name was 76. (They absorbed the Willimantic Ambassadors in 71.) They became Sword Excalibur for the 77 through 80 seasons.

The Grenadiers were active under that name through 77. In 78 they merged with Mark Twain Cadets to form Empire State Express. They went back to using the Grenadiers name in 79, and returned to Empire State Express

in 80 & 82. In 83 they teamed up with Mello-Dears for a short time as New York Express. They were part of several other mergers in the seasons that followed.

Tri Town Cadets lasted under that name through the 74 season. They merged into the American Patrol in 75, and that corps was around through 77.

Buckeyes were active through 75. In 76 they merged with the Cleveland Caballaros (that is how this corps spelled its name), to form the Buckeyes Caballaros, which lasted through 84.

Des Plaines was on the field through 73, took 74 off, came back for the 75, 76 & 77 seasons. Of course they later became a senior corps.

Nee Hi's were on the field through 82.

Argonne was on the field through 79, went inactive, came back for the 83 & 84 seasons.

As I understand it....

Greece Cadets' last year on the field was 1981. They merged with Rochester Patriots in '82 to form Fusion, and in '83 Greece's organization merged with the Gauchos to form the

Cadets of Upstate New York, which was only on the field in '83.

Yes. Then they combined forces with the Firebirds, creating the Rochester Northmen. Northmen competed in '84-'85, then sat out '86 after a rumored merge with Avant Garde didn't work out. Both Northmen and Firebirds reappeared in competition in 1987, with Northmen operating for three years and Firebirds for nine.

The Grenadiers were active under that name through 77. In 78 they merged with Mark Twain Cadets to form Empire State Express. They went back to using the Grenadiers name in 79, and returned to Empire State Express

in 80 & 82. In 83 they teamed up with Mello-Dears for a short time as New York Express. They were part of several other mergers in the seasons that followed.

1. The Grenadiers did not compete in '77.

2. There was no return to the Grenadier name in '79 that I am aware of. Empire State Express did not field that year. There is some confusion caused by the emergence of the Long Island Grenadiers in field competition in '79.

3. Mello-Dears and Empire State Express both competed separately in 1983, the last competitive season for both units. Perhaps their brief merger was only during the off-season.

Des Plaines was on the field through 73, took 74 off, came back for the 75, 76 & 77 seasons. Of course they later became a senior corps.

Des Plaines Vanguard did not compete in 1977.

Nee Hi's were on the field through 82.

They also competed in 1983 as the Midwest Express. Perhaps this was a co-ed version of the corps....don't remember. (Nee-His were an all-girl unit.)

Mavericks (PA)

The Erie Mavericks were started by a bunch of guys from the Thunderbirds who went to DCI finals in Ithica,...............the corps lasted until 78/79 when previous years overspending and lack of membership got the best of them,.............I will say, in 1978, it was a pretty ###### good corps

I saw them at an early show in Dunkirk, NY (my only show that year because I left for the Army the next day or so. I remembered that I was impressed as the weren't that good in previous years.

The Erie Mavericks were started by a bunch of guys from the Thunderbirds who went to DCI finals in Ithica,...............the corps lasted until 78/79 when previous years overspending and lack of membership got the best of them,.............I will say, in 1978, it was a pretty ###### good corps

Keith, you knew I had to pipe in on this one: Greece Cadets won Class A in 1975, then moved up to open class. Their top year was 1978 where they surprised a lot of the Drum Corps world by beating numerous top 12 corps at prelims in Marion Ohio, and making finals at DCI East. They ended up in 21 place and an associate corps. 1979 saw a drop to 26 and the corps was inactive in 80. Thanks to Vince Bruni and Bob Bond(Mighty St Joe's) Cadets of Greece returned to the field in Class A and was 10th place at DCI, not competing at finals since the All-Girl Corps combined with A class. In 1982 half the Cadets of Greece merged with Patriots and the other half merged with Lockport Blazers to form the Renegades.

Also lets mention perhaps one of the premier corps of upstate, the Northmen. 1985 was a great year, and the drum line was larger than most Open Class corps. Northmen placed 5th at DCI Finals class A and 1989 was their last year. A side note, many alumni of Cadets of Greece and Northmen have moved on and are doing great things for the Drum Corps community today. Tommy Allen spear heading bugles across America. Dave Bruni is heading up World reknowned Empire Statesmen. Other alumni still marching with some great all age corps today.

:thumbup:

Edited by DreaminMello