Just My Opinion

I find that DCA (All-Age) is a family place more so than DCI. Just my opinion but I see more friendships in DCA between members of all corps than in the Junior circuit. We know the history, we've been around, we've hung around, we socialize. I guess I find DCA more like a family.

Just wanted to say this and say THANK you DCA for being the way you are!!!

• Like 2

I find that DCA (All-Age) is a family place more so than DCI. Just my opinion but I see more friendships in DCA between members of all corps than in the Junior circuit. We know the history, we've been around, we've hung around, we socialize. I guess I find DCA more like a family.

if you have been on tour you would see how close members get . They live together 24/7 for several months BUT because they are young and for many reasons including distance and the fact that at a young age our friends do change often as we form our likes and dislikes in the type of person we form bonds with, the relationships between a DCI person and a DCA person will for sure be different. As DCA changes and gets younger this also may change.

if you have been on tour you would see how close members get . They live together 24/7 for several months BUT because they are young and for many reasons including distance and the fact that at a young age our friends do change often as we form our likes and dislikes in the type of person we form bonds with, the relationships between a DCI person and a DCA person will for sure be different. As DCA changes and gets younger this also may change.

not to argue the point... I love both... but Keith Hall has been on tour plenty... He's paid his dues... don't be so quick to "assume"

Guardling, re-reading your post as I'm writing this and it's VERY condescending... we need to have a long talk some time... you need to learn the HISTORY of drum corps from someone who has spent the last 55 years plus living it... the feelings of family from the weekend warrior corps and the touring corps are the same... trust me... I too have done both for many more years than you've been alive...

oops... now my arrogance is equaling your condescention... oh well... I think my resumé has earned that... have a good life... and keep enjoying drum corps...

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 1

not to argue the point... I love both... but Keith Hall has been on tour plenty... He's paid his dues... don't be so quick to "assume"

Guardling, re-reading your post as I'm writing this and it's VERY condescending... we need to have a long talk some time... you need to learn the HISTORY of drum corps from someone who has spent the last 55 years plus living it... the feelings of family from the weekend warrior corps and the touring ocrps are the same... trust me... I too have done both for many more years than you've been alive...

oops... now my arrogance is equaling your condescention... oh well... I think my resumé has earned that... have a good life... and keep enjoying drum corps...

as you said mr Peashey , dont assume. Ive been in many many years and family go back to the late 40s, so thanks for the offer of a History lesson but no need. You assumed way to much. I think I made a very clear comparision to members of today ( like that or not ) and my own resume ( not that Im challenging any one ) but could rival many having several DCA titles as well as several in DCI. I think I can equally give a lesson or two. Not that I feel arrogrant enough to think that as much time as i have also put into this activity that I would have nothing to learn.

There are consideralble differnces between DCI and DCA, like that or not, as well as the member today is far different from the past. Also I was answering Keith but thank you and thanks for all your contributions over the years, as with many they have been valuable and part of the fiber of our activity. :smile: and I do appreciate the offer of a long talk one day.

Oh and by the way Keith also said that DCI verses DCA were different with one being more of a family and more friendships than in DCI yet you say they are the same ( as I did to a degree ) so maybe we agree to a degree so maybe the generous offer of the history lesson should have been to Keith being that he was seeing a big difference and all I was doing was showing him a few reasons WHY he might feel the two are so different. :smile::blink:

Edited by GUARDLING

It takes alot of courage for a shy person to post on a forum and please don't call me hottie :) Drum corps folks connect after a competition. Words can't describe the bond. It just is. That's what makes drum corps special!

Keith, are you talking about during our competative days, afterwards or both? Never did DCI but agree that Sr folks in my day were very quick to talk to each other in spite of corps rivalries. LOL, where else could I TRY to talk to a bunch of French Canadians who found out they just made Finals (or are they always that excited :blink: ).

Now I'm with one of my old corps biggest rivals. Funny as Hades talking about events in the past and getting both perspectives.

• 1 month later...

Forgot I posted this and never came back LOL

I wasn't necessarily talking about "within" a corps but more so generally. Let's face it, kids in DCI corps come from all over these days and not from the local area like it was in, say, the 70's.

I recall very little socializing with other junior corps BITD and we had 2 of them close by. Now, your best friend for the summer (in a DCI corps) maybe from Texas and you are from FL. The next year he may be marching somewhere else.

I noticed in DCA there is more of a comraderie with members from all corps. Hope I am making sense here.

BTW I was not a fan of DCA corps until 1990 when I joined Rochester Crusaders and a certain man that I knew became corps director. I had a great time but it was also a very difficult time for me as I was taking care of my son while my (at the time) wife was in basic training. Tom found someone that would watch my son while I was at rehearsal or away for Saturday competitions.

When I returned in the 2000's it was even more like family. I did junior corps and had lots of friends through the years. I made the most friends through the great members of DCA corps. That is my opinion though.

Forgot I posted this and never came back LOL

I wasn't necessarily talking about "within" a corps but more so generally. Let's face it, kids in DCI corps come from all over these days and not from the local area like it was in, say, the 70's.

I recall very little socializing with other junior corps BITD and we had 2 of them close by. Now, your best friend for the summer (in a DCI corps) maybe from Texas and you are from FL. The next year he may be marching somewhere else.

I noticed in DCA there is more of a comraderie with members from all corps. Hope I am making sense here.

BTW I was not a fan of DCA corps until 1990 when I joined Rochester Crusaders and a certain man that I knew became corps director. I had a great time but it was also a very difficult time for me as I was taking care of my son while my (at the time) wife was in basic training. Tom found someone that would watch my son while I was at rehearsal or away for Saturday competitions.

When I returned in the 2000's it was even more like family. I did junior corps and had lots of friends through the years. I made the most friends through the great members of DCA corps. That is my opinion though.

LOL Tom who?

thanks Keith... we had a great family for a lot of years... your unique situation was one of many...

I don't look at it as not being a DCA or DCI or going on tour kind of thing. It's a DRUM CORPS thing. I've marched both and both back in the day (68) and now (2011) and making friends and feeling like a family is just plain drum corps.

But to put a finer point on it...BITD we were more local and we had rehearsals at least twice a week all year long. We went to each others houses and had parties very often. And this was even with the OTHER local corps we competed against. Yes going on tour does put you together every day for at least 6 weeks but other than move ins most corps only get together once a month during the winter and usually only after Thanksgiving. And the day after DCI most kids are gone...

My son marched junior for the last three years and will have friends from that for life. But he does not have one single corps buddy within hours of drive time. I have at least 25 people in less than a hour drive who I still hang with and party AND talk corps with 40 years later. Now you tell me which situation is more "family" feeling?

Just sayin.

BITD your corps affiliation was almost ALWAYS regional, and was part of your annual lifecycle. Often was a family tradition to be loyal to "your corps"- thru thick and thin. You joined (as did your siblings) and you stuck with that corps thru thick and thin. Unless there was a readily-apparent reason, we often were wary of people who marched with other corps and suddenly showed up at our practice seeking a spot. "Corpies" didn't audition after a season in search of a championship,

We practiced year 'round - 3 nights a week fall & winter, then 6 nights a week as the season approached. We slept over, shared rides, lent money, partied, dated, played sports (ours were hockey, softball and touch football). (Did I mention partied?) We swapped music tapes, and attended local dances and proms together - year 'round. We attended each others' weddings, stood as godparents for each others children, and mourned lost ones together as friends.

I remember more of my corpsmates than I remember college or high school classmates.