What are the typical tuition rates for Open Class corps

I would think if a potential member could march a WC corps for about the same money, they would march there simply because they would get more performance opportunities. Now, that means...for instance...if they lived in Texas and had a choice between Crossmen and any of the OC corps...again, if they could make Crossmen for $3K or march an OC corps for $2.5K, the difference of $500 makes the decision pretty easy.

Agreed, but the WC corps looks like the better option money wise. Using your example, yes, it would be $500 more to march with the Crossmen than Forte, Genesis, or Revolution. But when you look at daily costs, the Crossmen are a better deal. $3000 for 6 camps at 2.5 days each, all-days which go for 20 days, and a 60 day tour. This is 95 days worth of drum corps, and at a rate of $31.58 a day. The Open class corps has a tuition of $2500. Over 6 camps at 2.5 days each, and the version of all-days I had in the OC as 35 full days of rehearsal spread over 2.5 months, and a 2.5 week tour is a total of 67 days of drum corps. This shakes down to $37.32 per day.

Of course this is for potential members in a state with multiple corps nearby. If someone lives in an area with an OC corps nearby, $2500 is pretty close to what they would pay. Compared to a WC corps that is far enough away to justify flying can add a lot more onto the total cost, to make it something closer to $5000.

Agreed, but the WC corps looks like the better option money wise. Using your example, yes, it would be $500 more to march with the Crossmen than Forte, Genesis, or Revolution. But when you look at daily costs, the Crossmen are a better deal. $3000 for 6 camps at 2.5 days each, all-days which go for 20 days, and a 60 day tour. This is 95 days worth of drum corps, and at a rate of $31.58 a day. The Open class corps has a tuition of $2500. Over 6 camps at 2.5 days each, and the version of all-days I had in the OC as 35 full days of rehearsal spread over 2.5 months, and a 2.5 week tour is a total of 67 days of drum corps. This shakes down to $37.32 per day.

Of course this is for potential members in a state with multiple corps nearby. If someone lives in an area with an OC corps nearby, $2500 is pretty close to what they would pay. Compared to a WC corps that is far enough away to justify flying can add a lot more onto the total cost, to make it something closer to $5000.

You hit nail on head here.

The travel to rehearsals across the country is the big difference. Even an Austin to Phoenix RT would run $150 each time...if you got a great rate....not always. So let's say 5-6 camps and that's easily another $1000 plus time away from school/work. So, there are definitely tradeoffs. I just think it can be tougher to sell an OC corps to someone who can make a WC corps if it's also in your area.

I just think it can be tougher to sell an OC corps to someone who can make a WC corps if it's also in your area.

I think so too, unless the OC corps has a lower tuition than $2500. But then again, if the potential member does get cut for whatever reason, the OC corps in that same area is monumentally cheaper than another WC corps some distance away.

Personally, my last tuition was $1300. Add in the cost of travel, meals not covered by the corps, incidentals like section shorts and uniform parts, along with supplies for rehearsals, it probably costed me closer to $2000. I got to corps events by driving 3 hours each way and then living in with another corps member who lives 30 minutes from the corps' hometown.

I think so too, unless the OC corps has a lower tuition than $2500. But then again, if the potential member does get cut for whatever reason, the OC corps in that same area is monumentally cheaper than another WC corps some distance away.

Personally, my last tuition was $1300. Add in the cost of travel, meals not covered by the corps, incidentals like section shorts and uniform parts, along with supplies for rehearsals, it probably costed me closer to $2000. I got to corps events by driving 3 hours each way and then living in with another corps member who lives 30 minutes from the corps' hometown.

Yeah, I think the costs you quote seem more in line with what I would expect for an Open Class corps.