Best mouthpiece for contra?

NewTuba2011

I'm marching spirit of Atlanta (hopefully) and the only mouthpiece I've used is a kellyburg. I'm not a native tuba player, I switched from Bari sax. I have done 2 marching seasons at my high school.

There is already another topic on this, but The most common answers are the Helleburg, System Blue Tuba, or PT50

I'm sorry, I didn't see it on a quick scroll, so I posted my own. And out of those three, what's best for a beginner?

Bach 18, or a Faxx 18 it will let you build your tone up to get to a PT50 Which (IMHO) is overrated. I use a Wick 1 which is incredibly large but I played in corps for 10+ years straight. My embouchure is very strong and can handle a huge mouthpiece. On my Conn 20J and Yamaha YBB-321 it's a nice match. Worked well on my Kanstul Contrabass, but I could get more out of my Bach 7 on the Kanstul.

BTW on Bari-sax I use a Rousseau JDX 8, and I keep a Faxx 18 Tuba mouthpiece in the Shop I work in for testing the school's tubas.

Bach 18, or a Faxx 18 it will let you build your tone up to get to a PT50 Which (IMHO) is overrated. I use a Wick 1 which is incredibly large but I played in corps for 10+ years straight. My embouchure is very strong and can handle a huge mouthpiece. On my Conn 20J and Yamaha YBB-321 it's a nice match. Worked well on my Kanstul Contrabass, but I could get more out of my Bach 7 on the Kanstul.

BTW on Bari-sax I use a Rousseau JDX 8, and I keep a Faxx 18 Tuba mouthpiece in the Shop I work in for testing the school's tubas.

Haha that's a lot of mouthpieces. Can you narrow it down?

I've had great success on the PT-50 both for marching band and concert band. I haven't yet tried it on a marching tuba yet (only sousaphone), but I know Crown streamlines their section with PT-50s (which is convenient considering I'm auditioning for them).

In my experience. The mouthpiece that works can depend on the horn that's going to be played. I've had good luck with the G&W signature series. But a bit pricey if you have no long term plans with regard to said horns. I tend to get 3x mouthpieces. One large, medium, and small. Of the popular types so they can be resold or bought used. You still have to try any mouthpiece for a while before you can know for sure if it works for you. Your kellyburg should serve you well till you get acquainted with whatever horn you'll be using. From there you should kind of know if you need to go bigger or smaller after a period of time. Tuba mouthpieces of the metal variety can be quite pricey, so I wouldn't be buying anything that you haven't tried first.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been years since I played but I can still put my hands on my beloved Bach 18.

I think the Bach 18 mp is a good one as well. A step up is the Conn Helleburg (better sound and louder.) My favorite mouthpiece now is the LOUD LM-12. For field projection it is excellent, but still has a great tone. Being made out of stainless steel, it is very difficult to scratch or dent..

Best wishes on playing for Spirit!