NIU Football at it Again

That's like saying we should take some DCI kids and throw them into NCAA athletics. The same would hold true.

Perhaps Bobby Knight might have disagreed with that. I believe he once said "If our kids worked that hard they would win a championship every year".

• Like 2

Perhaps Bobby Knight might have disagreed with that. I believe he once said "If our kids worked that hard they would win a championship every year".

This was in reference to Star, practicing in Bloomington (where Indiana University is), if I remember correctly.

Sure, if they worked that hard at WHAT THEY DO. Different things.

To this day, I despise Florida.

I HATE Florida. Every time we beat them (which is pretty much every time), it makes me happy.

And the whole NIU thing makes me laugh... Jock tries to beat up on nerds... then the higher nerd (the university president) fires the jock... priceless.

• Like 1

A general endurance test. Not necessarily a contra for contra carry-off.

I LOVE DCI. Obviously, that's why I'm here on DCP. But I gotta say... if I was going to bet money on this endurance test competition, I would have it on the LB.

One year at band camp, the football team was getting on my kids, so I talked with the coach about it.

We came up with the idea of having a friendly 7-on-7 flag football game between the band and the football team.

The band won... I had some really athletic kids. The football team still hasn't lived that down.

That coach must have wanted to teach his players some sort of lesson, because that was a no win situation for the football players. 1) Lose (as they did: AWESOME) and they are ridiculed and never live it down. 2) Win a close game, and they could just barely beat the band nerds. 3) Win a blow out, then they are just being poor sports running up the score, and you should blow them out anyway.

Congrats to those band kids!

This was in reference to Star, practicing in Bloomington (where Indiana University is), if I remember correctly.

The actual quote goes like this:

“If a basketball team trained as hard as these kids do,” says Knight, “it would be unbelievable. I like to take my players [to watch drum corps] to show them what they can accomplish with hard work and teamwork. Besides, once they see them practice 12 hours a day, my players think I’m a helluva lot easier.”

It comes from the August 10, 1987 issue of Sports Illustrated. My Dad saved that one (among many others) and I now have it, and have it framed on that article.

• Like 1

Miss those competitions at Huskie Stadium, but with episodes like this continuing to happen I doubt if DCI will ever consider going back to the NIU campus.

Not sure about 2011, but there was an open class show there in 2010.