Visual effects we have yet to see on the field

Never seen something like a single huge silk that breaks down into or assembles into loads of individual flags (think loads of different colors and shapes of flags becoming a huge scrim of a stained glass window... or vice versa).

Never seen uniforms that interconnect performers.... like sashes linking together in a chain.

Haven't seen an entire corps on nothing but flags... or all on drums (funky cylindrical or column props that break down into hundreds drums could be one hell of a way to end a show).

Haven't seen incorporation of LED lights (if they are not legal.. seems silly that they would be restricted).

Haven't seen props that automatically rotate pictures or change shape when pushed.

Haven't seen funky equipment that is spun that becomes assembled into props (something sort of like Tinker Toys).

• Like 1

1. A high wire from 30 yl to 30 yl about 20 feet high. Highly trained Color Guard does ensemble work on it. Soloists may also be involved.

2. 12 human cannons, pneumatically activated or spring loaded, six at each goal line, sequentially fired inline while appropriately bombastic music is played. Synth is involved with tremendously loud booms through speakers synchronized by wireless to cannons. ( a quantity of understudies may be necessary, particularly during camps) Could be cool if each projectile were holding large and long streamers. Skydiving training may be needed depending on trajectory. Parachute deployment would add to effect.

3. A trapeze rig for high flying visuals.

4. A standing large triangular or square prop structure with 80 or so openings in it. Opening covered with various colors of thin paper. At a point in program entire horn line disappears behind prop in an appropriate form and prop falls back over them, perhaps during a solo or percussion feature. Hornline will reappear through paper covered holes. Of course, the hornline must be in an absolutely perfect form. Hardhats may be required at camps.

:help::tounge2:

Hopefully this isn't a posting issue, but it is off of TV.

Here's one way to do high wire.

It helps that our shows are at street level and not viewed from a press box.

Edited by jkmummer

Never seen something like a single huge silk that breaks down into or assembles into loads of individual flags (think loads of different colors and shapes of flags becoming a huge scrim of a stained glass window... or vice versa).

Never seen uniforms that interconnect performers.... like sashes linking together in a chain.

Haven't seen an entire corps on nothing but flags... or all on drums (funky cylindrical or column props that break down into hundreds drums could be one hell of a way to end a show).

Haven't seen incorporation of LED lights (if they are not legal.. seems silly that they would be restricted).

Haven't seen props that automatically rotate pictures or change shape when pushed.

Haven't seen funky equipment that is spun that becomes assembled into props (something sort of like Tinker Toys).

I remember a long banner that turned out to be a whole bunch of flags that were attached to each other by velcro...then they suddenly became individual flags. I don't remember who did this, though. Anyone other there remember?

Plymouth-Canton won BOA several years ago with a show that had all members of the band connected to each other via some sort of expanding chain-like thingy. It was their "Metropolis" show (with music of Michael Daugherty) that was about the individual losing their identity and becoming just part of a mass. It was very effective.

27th Lancers did a drum solo where all the brass were on flags. I just wrote about it a couple weeks ago in Download of the Week.

I believe LED lights are legal, seeing that Boston Crusaders utilized lights under the white scrim this year.

As for props that rotate pictures, I've seen artworks where different images are painted in each side of narrow canvas or wood protrusions that stick out like a bunch of little "V"s. When viewed from one side, you see one image. From the other side, you see another image. Some big set that was rotating could give off the same effect.

The Tinker Toy idea of yours would be fascinating.

Hopefully this isn't a posting issue, but it is off of TV.

Here's one way to do high wire.

It helps that our shows are at street level and not viewed from a press box.

As I was watching this I kept thinking: "Bill Cook was way ahead of his time."

I remember a long banner that turned out to be a whole bunch of flags that were attached to each other by velcro...then they suddenly became individual flags. I don't remember who did this, though. Anyone other there remember?

Plymouth-Canton won BOA several years ago with a show that had all members of the band connected to each other via some sort of expanding chain-like thingy. It was their "Metropolis" show (with music of Michael Daugherty) that was about the individual losing their identity and becoming just part of a mass. It was very effective.

27th Lancers did a drum solo where all the brass were on flags. I just wrote about it a couple weeks ago in Download of the Week.

I believe LED lights are legal, seeing that Boston Crusaders utilized lights under the white scrim this year.

As for props that rotate pictures, I've seen artworks where different images are painted in each side of narrow canvas or wood protrusions that stick out like a bunch of little "V"s. When viewed from one side, you see one image. From the other side, you see another image. Some big set that was rotating could give off the same effect.

The Tinker Toy idea of yours would be fascinating.

ThoughtCrime: Music for an Orwellian Era

Boo...I believe Star did this ...was it their circus show?...or maybe it was VK...they made a long dragon flag, then tore it apart to make smaller individual flags.

Boo...I believe Star did this ...was it their circus show?...or maybe it was VK...they made a long dragon flag, then tore it apart to make smaller individual flags.

Correct as to Star. It was their circus show in 87 and the long tiger split up into individual flags. This was during Ritual Fire Dance/Sabre Dance. That was a great (if cheesy) show for an up-and-coming corps.

The Human Slinky

There will always be something new and captivating that we haven't yet seen on the field. I'm amazed by this act and was wondering what it might be to see an entire guard (or a number of guard members) do something like this on the field.

There have to be other examples out there of fascinating visual effects we've yet to see on the field. What are they?

I'd love to see something like what was on America's Got Talent this year: Team iLuminate, Silhouettes, or the Kinetic King.

But we'll probably be stuck watching color guards doing their version of Sam B :-(