So, you want to start a new Corps?

People,

a few years ago, the Ontario Drum Corps Association used to sell a little booklet that told you the things you needed to do to start a Drum Corps. I know it's probably a bit out of date, but there was a lot of good thought that went into it.

What I'm hoping is that someone still has one of those, or could get me in touch with the people who did it, and I could get some copy of that information.

I'm involved with a new organization, Drum Corps North America, where I'm the Northwest Regional Coordinator. We're starting a new organization for the Community Corps of the world. We even have the blessing of DCI to help these smaller, younger corps. We hope to find ways to help regrow that small corps circuit that many of us loved so much, when we were younger. It really supports everyone, because we hope to be able to build an organization that helps get more shows going, all over the country, that the small promoters can once again afford to put on. We hope to be able to have lots of contests for lots of corps, for lots of people in the audience. We hope to give lots of fun.

Cathy Doser

Northwest Regional Coordinator

Drum Corps North America

• Like 1

That was a pretty decent book written by Al Teirney RIP yes it would be somewhat out of date there was also instructional manuals written for each section as well as a how to for running a show I would check with Steve Vickers he may have copies for historical purposes and may be able to help you out on this Good Luck

• Like 1

DCUK also has a pretty useful guide on their website. Of course, some information would need to be altered based on your location, but it's a good starting point.

• Like 1

Cathy,

DCI also has a book (that they sell if you ask) for starting new corps. While not all of it may apply to community-based drum corps, I found it a very insightful read as it does lay out the *kinds* of things you should be thinking about.

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cathy,

DCI also has a book (that they sell if you ask) for starting new corps. While not all of it may apply to community-based drum corps, I found it a very insightful read as it does lay out the *kinds* of things you should be thinking about.

Mike

Mike, I've never seen this on the DCI site (and I've never asked for it). Is it available for purchase online?

Or do you want to sell me your copy? ph34r.gif

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

People,

a few years ago, the Ontario Drum Corps Association used to sell a little booklet that told you the things you needed to do to start a Drum Corps. I know it's probably a bit out of date, but there was a lot of good thought that went into it.

What I'm hoping is that someone still has one of those, or could get me in touch with the people who did it, and I could get some copy of that information.

I'm involved with a new organization, Drum Corps North America, where I'm the Northwest Regional Coordinator. We're starting a new organization for the Community Corps of the world. We even have the blessing of DCI to help these smaller, younger corps. We hope to find ways to help regrow that small corps circuit that many of us loved so much, when we were younger. It really supports everyone, because we hope to be able to build an organization that helps get more shows going, all over the country, that the small promoters can once again afford to put on. We hope to be able to have lots of contests for lots of corps, for lots of people in the audience. We hope to give lots of fun.

Cathy Doser

Drum Corps North America

Cathy, SDCA is already an organization successfully doing what you are attempting to do. I have read that there is a region in your neighborhood. I'd like to see the two organizations work together. Why don't you contact them?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cathy,

Before I read the thread, my first thought was call Steve Vickers. I know he has active contacts in Canada. No bad advice on this thread. Try it all.

Kevin

• Like 1

Perform background checks on all senior leadership including candidates for Board of Directors. Go in-depth. Do NOT affiliate with people who don't pass this phase. Period.

Secondly, pass a list of names and brief bio on each by the good folks at DCI, DCA, WGI--pretty much anywhere they might have developed a..."reputation." Do NOT affiliate with anyone who does a face plant on this item either.

Within that group of folks who actually pass muster on these two items, gather as many people who don't have degrees in theater or music as you can find. Artistic sorts are a dime a gross. Go heavy on people who know how to run a business.

I hope that all helps. Learned some rough lessons in our first three years at OYAA / Forte. ;-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am also working on a Drum corps foundation that will help new Drum corps get off the ground, and get a good, long term footing. I am collecting older, and unused, instruments to form a instrument loaner bank, and filing non-profit docs with the IRS, and the state. I don't want to compete with other orgs that are trying to do the same thing, but work with them.

People,

Cathy Doser

Drum Corps North America

Edited by cdm
  • Like 1