Restructuring the DCI BOD

I am really not sure the word PILFER applies to how kids move around these days... I can personally tell you that I moved corps, I started where I thought I would be accepted, and when I felt more confident, I went to the corps I wanted to be a part of. I do not believe this is pilfering on the part of the 2nd corps. It was a dream worked toward and achieved.

• Like 1

"501c3" and "charity" are not interchangeable terms. Charity is only one of the purposes that can earn an organization an exemption under code 501c3. The complete list of exemptions are "charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals." I think we can squeeze drum corps in there somewhere, even in its modern form.

What matters is the *official IRS designation* not what we think it might be accomplishing. So, is DCI *officially registered with the IRS* as an Educational Institution? Nope; A Religious Organization? Nope; Scientific? Nope; Literary? Nope; Public Safety? Nope; Fostering Amateur Sports? Nope; Preventing Cruelty? Nope; Charitable? Hmmmmmmmm.

Don't see how it is relevant.

You point to the total cost of participation in a touring drum corps (including 12 weeks of room and board) and describe it as a "barrier to entry"....and you don't see how the cost of alternative room and board is relevant?

The "barrier to entry" is the cost difference between marching and not marching.

Exactly; wasn't DCI started so that individual corps directors could have the absolute say over their own destiny? At any time if a majority of corps directors feel the direction isn't what is best for them, they can vote something down and/or change things.

Just because someone else from the cheap seats in the stands/living rooms don't agree with the direction of the activity doesn't mean their direction for DCI would be better/best. I think the folks who are in charge of keeping their own corps financially viable as well as competitively successful have a MUCH better grasp on shaping the activity than those not really involved. Even non-profit presidents or arts folks who are not involved with the day-to-day running of a drum corps would not have a great grasp on running things (and frankly, this type of thinking is the crux of multiple problems in this country: for example, education curriculum is largely controlled by politicians who receive campaign funding from testing administrators who are looking to profit on standardized testing - instead of people who actually teach for a living having the final say on what they feel is important, it is mandated by politicians who know little/nothing about education).

Agree or disagree with rule changes, touring models, etc. I think only the naive would believe that non-drum corps administrators would have a better grasp of how to run the activity than the directors.

THAT BEING SAID...

I think the BoD could have a few 'at-large' members who are not DCI corps directors. I don't know if this is already the case, but it would obviously benefit the Board to have 'fresh eyes' on the situation, and might be able to give a different perspective on things.

This is exactly the way it's set up now. Six member corps' directors and three at-large who aren't associated with any corps. Seems to be a good balance.

this isnt about marching bands Daniel, it's about DCI. Sure, given your YEA ties, I'm sure the more marching bands out there that join USSBA makes your friends happy ( except in oh, say every other circuit).

How is it not about marching bands? This is ALL marching band.

What matters is the *official IRS designation* not what we think it might be accomplishing. So, is DCI *officially registered with the IRS* as an Educational Institution? Nope; A Religious Organization? Nope; Scientific? Nope; Literary? Nope; Public Safety? Nope; Fostering Amateur Sports? Nope; Preventing Cruelty? Nope; Charitable? Hmmmmmmmm.

Well, if you love America then it's your patriotic duty to report DCI to the IRS immediately. These SOBs have gotten a free ride on the back of the American taxpayer for far too long.

You do love America, don't you?

Edited by Rifuarian