Restructuring the DCI BOD

Had a conversation with the woman that is the head of the largest commercial food company globally. Response "Sounds interesting. Show me, don't tell me."

2013, it is.

Would this money saving food service you presented to her also include those which actually need it (Genesis, 7th Regiment, Raiders, etc...) or would it be just for the elite?

Had a conversation with the woman that is the head of the largest commercial food company globally. Response "Sounds interesting. Show me, don't tell me."

2013, it is.

Nestle?

"Anywhere, Any time, Any way"

I wonder why a company that feeds billions would be interested in a summer deal to feed about 15,000 meals?

And don't say money. The, roughly, $3million we're talking about is a mere fraction of a rounding error for the world's largest commercial food supplier.

Just curious what the motivation is.

Altruistic?

Nestle?

I wonder why a company that feeds billions would be interested in a summer deal to feed about 15,000 meals?

And don't say money. The, roughly, $3million we're talking about is a mere fraction of a rounding error for the world's largest commercial food supplier.

Altruistic?

Schools.

A lot of these commercial food companies are aggressively competing for the attention of school administrators and food service decision makers. This is a multi-billion dollar market.

The ability to have a traveling demo kitchen using exclusively their products that is parked on site at school and university facilities is a very powerful marketing tool for them. Their sales reps can invite decision makers for food purchasing to sample some of the meals... etc.

Pitch would be that if we could do that with a traveling trailer, imagine what can be done with a fixed kitchen.

Nestle?

Altruistic?

The motivation for Danielrary to ask in the first place was *not* altruistic (otherwise he wold want to help out those really in need such as Genesis, 7th regiment, ect...). However, I bet he is presenting it that way to the woman of the major food corporation (Blue Devils and Cadets provide service to all of those youth, wouldn't it be wonderful for a major corporation like hers to help out those youth; it would also help in the bottom line of the food company because they could then *claim* altruism as an advertising scheme).

Schools.

A lot of these commercial food companies are aggressively competing for the attention of school administrators and food service decision makers. This is a multi-billion dollar market.

The ability to have a traveling demo kitchen using exclusively their products that is parked on site at school and university facilities is a very powerful marketing tool for them. Their sales reps can invite decision makers for food purchasing to sample some of the meals... etc.

Pitch would be that if we could do that with a traveling trailer, imagine what can be done with a fixed kitchen.

See Garfield; it is not about helping youth out of altruism, but about helping the food corporation make a profit.

• Like 2

See Garfield; it is not about helping youth out of altruism, but about helping the food corporation make a profit.

What you are not getting is that if you are approaching a corporation to support drum corps from an altruistic angle, drum corps is at the back of a long line of programs that are much, much more deserving of support. Drum corps cannot and should not try to compete for corporate support from an altruistic angle.

The only way to get the attention and subsequent support from brands is to show them how you can help further some very specific goals of theirs.

The motivation for Danielrary to ask in the first place was *not* altruistic (otherwise he wold want to help out those really in need such as Genesis, 7th regiment, ect...). However, I bet he is presenting it that way to the woman of the major food corporation (Blue Devils and Cadets provide service to all of those youth, wouldn't it be wonderful for a major corporation like hers to help out those youth; it would also help in the bottom line of the food company because they could then *claim* altruism as an advertising scheme).

Drum corps could only be so lucky a major brand had any interest in using it in some sort of advertising scheme, for whatever purpose. Reality is they aren't all that interested.

What is interesting is an ability to exploit what unique opportunities drum corps has. The ability for corps to have their own traveling kitchen parked on school grounds is VERY interesting for these brands. This gives them a conduit to do something they have not previously been allowed to do.

Major food companies are not allowed to bring such a demo kitchen to schools (in some states can't give them samples to prepare in their own kitchen). Most of the time, they have to get these people to come to them... very difficult.

The fact that the food truck just happens to be parked at the school and the fact that it would use a particular company's products according to specific recipes by the company.... and the sales team can call up the decisionmakers and say ... "oh, by the way... you can check out some of our products next thursday at...", HUGE.

This creates a funky sort of loophole for helping them in their sales efforts that really makes a difference. The fact that these meals are also served to youth and that they can get feedback on them, also highly valuable.

These are the types of opportunities that are the solid singles... the stuff that is going to make the activity more sustainable and accessible.

Danielray: I agree with you that the way to approach corporations is an angle which allows them to profit from the sponsorship. However, most large corporations are interested in helping out more than just the best of the best. Go Daddy not only supports the top race teams, but also some mid-level and local teams. Nike not only sponsors the NBA but also local youth charities. Moreover, all corps in DCI stay at schools which would in turn support your marketing strategy. So, to just target the best of the best to receive this food sponsorship, when DCI supports a wide variety of corps, is again an elitist mentality.

Edited by Stu