Restructuring the DCI BOD

Life is Ifs... but... there is enough of a potential return that it is worth trying.

I, for one, relish the challenge, but I'm not seeing the pitch. Even if there are restrictions to access for the big companies, the kids in school are being fed. Somebody's supplying the food. Even if it were to mean fighting the unions for access to the bid list the market surely is large enough to justify the expense of doing what's necessary to get the chance at the business. Isn't it reasonable to think that a company the size of the world's largest supplier would already be in that market?

School food programs are highly regulated. In Ohio, there's an emphasis on sourcing local foods in season. Supplying a drum corps from local sources while they're on tour seems like a neat idea (coordinating local suppliers to supply fresh veggies would be interesting).

Although the barrier to entry is certainly high to reach the schools program, it's hard for me to reconcile that the big shots aren't already there.

In your discussion with this "largest" company, was there discussion such as "We've been trying to get into the school program for years and we're blocked from showing our products"? I'm curious about what's stopped them from gaining entry up until now, and how a drum corps food truck, in the summer, is going to break that ice.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I have already answered that question several times in this thread.

Ok, I will make it easy for you: Is it A, B, aor C

A) (15 current WC + BDB SCVC) = 17

B) (17 current WC + BDB SCVC) = 19

C) 17 current WC and you tell Odello and Barnhill to get their piddly non-major league inferior performing corps the H*** out of DCI!

There ya go, I made it easy for you to answer. (And do not ask me to go fishing for posts when you yourself would not do that)

I can't seem to get anyone interested in that.

A person such as yourself, one who is only interested in the elite corps and has been more than condescending to all other corps, cannot seem to get anyone interested in supporting the corps you want to spit and dump on. Wow, imagine that!

• Like 2

Daniel: Yes Life is mostly IF"S BUT these billion dollar companies arent going to speculate and spend dollars on the scraps that would come from drum corps advertisement. And then theres the question of if a director wants to be regulated and priced held as I said about meal planning earlier.

There may be a reason , as you said that you can't get someone interested.

I see where you were hearded with this and understand why you may think it could work but as I said I think you give Drum corps way to much power and importance and think the outside world actually cares what we do. MOST DON"T......

Edited by GUARDLING

A person such as yourself, one who is only interested in the elite corps and has been more than condescending to all other corps, cannot seem to get anyone interested in supporting the corps you want to spit and dump on. Wow, imagine that!

here's a statementthat may come back and bite me..but here goes...Daniel may have more support in his way of thinking than any of us want to believe otherwise OC and lower world class would be packing the stands....and they aren't.......Ive said this over and over those who oppose the elite need to step up and support those other corps and not just on some news group...it's easy to type and a little harder to actually get out and do. ....JMO...put the top 5 or 7 on a paking lot and 5 of the others we talk of on a field and see where the crowd runs...even those who say they oppose the ELITEwill run to them.

Edited by GUARDLING

here's a statementthat may come back and bite me..but here goes...Daniel may have more support in his way of thinking than any of us want to believe otherwise OC and lower world class would be packing the stands....and they aren't.......Ive said this over and over those who oppose the elite need to step up and support those other corps and not just on some news group...it's easy to type and a little harder to actually get out and do. ....JMO...put the top 5 or 7 on a paking lot and 5 of the others we talk of on a field and see where the crowd runs...even those who say they oppose the ELITE.

Again using NASCAR (not only does the Mr. D look down on the activity, but it is actually a good model for DCI) the stands are mostly full for the Sprint Cup Series, 2/3 *empty* for the Nationwide Series, and *nearly completely empty* for the Camping World Series. This directly reflects the DCI WC OC system with that fan structure. However, NASCAR, and the high powered corporate sponsors, also see the value in all three series. The value is different, but still there for different reasons. So, I personally do not see the need to pack the stands for the OC corps the way they are packed for the WC. Where I do see a need is seeking sponsors who value the OC as the minor league system such as the sponsors see the value in the NASCAR Nationwide/Camping World Series. For example: Maybe something like The DCI Verizon WC Series and the DCI WalMart OC Series.

Edited by Stu

Again using NASCAR (not only does the Mr. D look down on the activity, but it is actually a good model for DCI) the stands are mostly full for the Sprint Cup Series, 2/3 *empty* for the Nationwide Series, and *nearly completely empty* for the Camping World Series. This directly reflects the DCI WC OC system with that fan structure. However, NASCAR, and the high powered corporate sponsors, also see the value in all three series. The value is different, but still there for different reasons. So, I personally do not see the need to pack the stands for the OC corps the way they are packed for the WC. Where I do see a need is seeking sponsors who value the OC as the minor league system such as the sponsors see the value in the NASCAR Nationwide/Camping World Series.

as someone who has seekd out sponsors for WC as well as Lower world class its a world of difference to sponsors.We arent a billion dollar industry..we arent TV worthy, we cant give that huge visable return.........Sponsors are attracted by success ( winners of their craft )people filling seats run to see them,Young kids strive to be in one of them, they attract the best of the best...those corps simply attract the money also

Again using NASCAR (not only does the Mr. D look down on the activity, but it is actually a good model for DCI) the stands are mostly full for the Sprint Cup Series, 2/3 *empty* for the Nationwide Series, and *nearly completely empty* for the Camping World Series. This directly reflects the DCI WC OC system with that fan structure. However, NASCAR, and the high powered corporate sponsors, also see the value in all three series. The value is different, but still there for different reasons. So, I personally do not see the need to pack the stands for the OC corps the way they are packed for the WC. Where I do see a need is seeking sponsors who value the OC as the minor league system such as the sponsors see the value in the NASCAR Nationwide/Camping World Series.

So Stu...

What would corporate sponsors get out of Drum Corps?

In NASCAR, lets just take the Sprint Cup Series for now... Not only do the corporations get advertising out of their sponsorships, via Corporate Logos on the vehicle, Firesuit and Pit Stand of each driver but also TV commercials and name constant mentioning through various sponsorships such as the "LUCKY DOG" and even the sponsor of each team! MILLIONS of people watch this on Television each week. When you look to the "Nationwide Series" you see less money spent by the corporate sponsors and way way more money spent by the vehicle "MANUFACTURERS" as this is the prooving ground for risky/newer technology that will make it's way to the Sprint Cup Series & some variation to YOUR GARAGE which is where the real money is made. Also the vehicle manufacturers gain a wealth of knowledge and experience in advancing their technology and improving their products through their involvement in racing. Finally by having the BIG THREE and TOYOTA involved in all three series... The vehicle companies gain more and more name recognition helping to permanently brand their products in the hearts and minds of the public.

Please do draw the Drum Corps parallel and how ANY corporate sponsor would benefit financially in either the short or long term by including all participants.

So Stu...

What would corporate sponsors get out of Drum Corps?

Same thing Honda gets out of THIS. If DCI cannot market to corporations in the same manner then DCI should just give up and fold up shop.

Edited by Stu

Same thing Honda gets out of THIS. If DCI cannot market to corporations in the same manner then DCI should just give up and fold up shop.

So then you are saying that DCI should just fold up shop then, since the tour promoter in this instance is Honda... Honda is already a PRETTY WELL RECOGNIZED NAME!!!!! Hmmm wonder if they make any money off that... Hmmmmm... Wonder if having their name plastered all over an event that they profit from helps their name recognition... So yes... if DCI were to go away or just be willing to take a back seat to the corporations that are clammoring for involvement in this arena. Oh BTW... where is the educational tie in with the schools here... I assume that Honda is linking thier name to these events so they can extend their reign of name recognition right? college Students are coming into the years where they would buy Honda cars and Motorcycles correct?

So maybe you do have the right idea Stu...

Fold DCI completely and get a number of corporations to do the tour promotion and sponsorship in exchange for HAMMERING THEIR NAMES ALL OVER EVERYTHING!!! It can be "MotoGuzzi presents the Independant Drum and Bugle Corps World Championships" What an awesome idea!

Brainstorming session anyone LOLOLOLOLOLOL