DCA DVD's and CD's....

Andyroo

Okay, then, serious question... Where are these copyright thingies supposed to be coming from?

I was under the impression that all corps had to have all their copyright information to DCA way back in the Spring of 2011. Can't DCA simply send Box 5 copies of that information? And couldn't they have done that, like, way back in September? I don't like to brag, but I know a couple of companies who could get it there overnight.

Or does it have to come from each corps individually?

Or does it have to come from some lawyer dude who's waiting for his shiny three-piece suit to come back from Earl Sheib?

Andy,

After all the corps obtain the licensing to "play and perform" said pieces of music, then comes the "mechanical licensing" to record and sell said recordings. I think that is the responsibility of DCA, once they get all the licensing from all the corps for the performance rights. I could be wrong though. Won't be the first or last time either.

Ray

Okay, then, serious question... Where are these copyright thingies supposed to be coming from?

I was under the impression that all corps had to have all their copyright information to DCA way back in the Spring of 2011. Can't DCA simply send Box 5 copies of that information? And couldn't they have done that, like, way back in September? I don't like to brag, but I know a couple of companies who could get it there overnight.

Or does it have to come from each corps individually?

Or does it have to come from some lawyer dude who's waiting for his shiny three-piece suit to come back from Earl Sheib?

you're asking the wrong guy...I don't deal in copyright. But I know in the past DCI has had the ok, shipped dvds, only to have the original artist change their minds and have to pull things back. I'd imagine it depends on the actual agreement per artist.

see copyright, the little I know of it, is a ####### pain in the ###,Some artitsts insist on approving the arrangements before you even play a note. Some will say "go ahead, but I reserve final judgement when you send me the finalproduct.

so you can have everything in black and white months ago, yet some artists may hold you hostage in the end

Andy,

After all the corps obtain the licensing to "play and perform" said pieces of music, then comes the "mechanical licensing" to record and sell said recordings. I think that is the responsibility of DCA, once they get all the licensing from all the corps for the performance rights. I could be wrong though. Won't be the first or last time either.

Ray

Ray,

If, as you think it may be, it's a responsibility of DCA to obtain the "mechanical licensing," I would imagine this should have been accomplished some time ago - very shortly after all the corps got their "play and perform" rights in to DCA. If that's the case, then perhaps someone at DCA should get off their dead *** and get this thing going.

On the other hand, if it's not DCA's responsibility, then they have my apology.

Maybe someone from Box 5 could come on here and clarify exactly who it is they're waiting for.

Andy, follow the DCI threads and you will see what a cluster#### this whole copyright thing has turned into.

Phantom Regiment 2008 had all the rights, DVD's had been shipping for about a month when one of the copyright holders changed their minds and revoked the rights. DCI had to edit out about a minute's worth of content, IIRC, and re-do the DVD's before they could begin shipping again.

This year, Madison Scouts closer, Empire State of Mind, was flat out refused synchronization rights-which allow video and audio to be shown simultaneously. This piece is absolutely essential to their show theme and has been argued to be among "the" all-time great closers in modern drum corps; DCI chose to include only the audio on the DVD's, with a brief on screen message just before the screen goes black that there are copyright limitations. The video portion resumes as the corps hits the last note and the crowd is going nuts. Also this year, a portion of Carolina Crown's "pre-show" and a portion of the Cavalier's show were removed-at the last minute, and with no advance notice from DCI-due to copyright issues.

Most of what has come out of these copyright issues on the DCI forums, at least as far as I can tell, is that it is the responsibility of DCI to get the synchronization rights, since they are the entity that is producing and selling the final products on the DVD's. But there has been debate raging on that for the better part of six months-ever since it was revealed that synch rights had been denied to Empire State of Mind.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what piece(s) of music are having issues. FWIW, the DCI issues are due to music by Jay Z/Alicia Keys, Rihanna, and David Bowie.

Looks like we've hit a new low here. So much for "progress".

Ray,

If, as you think it may be, it's a responsibility of DCA to obtain the "mechanical licensing," I would imagine this should have been accomplished some time ago - very shortly after all the corps got their "play and perform" rights in to DCA. If that's the case, then perhaps someone at DCA should get off their dead *** and get this thing going.

On the other hand, if it's not DCA's responsibility, then they have my apology.

Maybe someone from Box 5 could come on here and clarify exactly who it is they're waiting for.

part of it may be the artists themselves holding things up

It would be a lot better ( IMHO ) if Box 5 notified we purchasers of the delay in shipping , rather than have to resort to a DCP poster asking them " what's up ".

After last year one would think Box 5 would be paying a little more attention. I am skeptical of this " blame it on licensing " explanation.

frankiE

Hey Guys,

Sorry, I haven't been watching the threads this year, just due to the fact BOX5 is very busy at this time of year and we are growing tremendously right now.

In terms of copyrights, we are specifically waiting on synchronization rights we received mechanical rights today (via fedex). It is our hopes to ship CD's within the next day or so and start this ball rolling. We are ready to ship as soon as we get the go ahead from the copyright holders. There are several pieces we are waiting on. I won't be specific about those corps who we are waiting on as to not create issues with those corps. Lets just say, that if we don't get copyright permission there are at least one corps that wouldn't make the DVD at all and several corps that would have their shows severely cut and mangled.

I have been assured by the person that handles my copyright procurement that these won't be an issue but we MUST have permission before we ship or they will deny any and all copyright requests.

Copyright is different for EVERY corps and song used and we must negotiate with each copyright holder individually. The publisher (where the corps got permission to use the music) doesn't always hold the rights to synchronization (marrying of video to the audio). We do have mechanical (audio on CD) back and will begin shipping CD's. Mechanical is what DCI got for Madison and they couldn't procure synchronization thats why the DVD went black during Empire State of Mind. They weren't marrying video and audio so they could have the audio on the disc like a CD.

Synchronization & Mechanical is BOX5's responsibility as we are the company that is making money from the profit.

I hope that helps clear up some questions. If not please don't hesitate to email and ask.

Tim

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Sorry, I haven't been watching the threads this year, just due to the fact BOX5 is very busy at this time of year and we are growing tremendously right now.

In terms of copyrights, we are specifically waiting on synchronization rights we received mechanical rights today (via fedex). It is our hopes to ship CD's within the next day or so and start this ball rolling. We are ready to ship as soon as we get the go ahead from the copyright holders. There are several pieces we are waiting on. I won't be specific about those corps who we are waiting on as to not create issues with those corps. Lets just say, that if we don't get copyright permission there are at least one corps that wouldn't make the DVD at all and several corps that would have their shows severely cut and mangled.

I have been assured by the person that handles my copyright procurement that these won't be an issue but we MUST have permission before we ship or they will deny any and all copyright requests.

Copyright is different for EVERY corps and song used and we must negotiate with each copyright holder individually. The publisher (where the corps got permission to use the music) doesn't always hold the rights to synchronization (marrying of video to the audio). We do have mechanical (audio on CD) back and will begin shipping CD's. Mechanical is what DCI got for Madison and they couldn't procure synchronization thats why the DVD went black during Empire State of Mind. They weren't marrying video and audio so they could have the audio on the disc like a CD.

Synchronization & Mechanical is BOX5's responsibility as we are the company that is making money from the profit.

I hope that helps clear up some questions. If not please don't hesitate to email and ask.

Tim

Tim,

Many thanks for the clarification(s). I'm delighted to see that somebody who knows has come forth. One thing, though... Maybe if we knew which corps were holding up the show, we could "convince" them to get off their dead *** and do something.

I think it may be time for me to invest in a teeny-weeny little video camera, one that can into and out of stadiums without the "video police" catching on. And then, if there's a question about rights or licenses, they'll have to find me first, and then catch me.

Or maybe I'll just go back to the tape cassettes that I made from the stands during the Sixties and Seventies, or even maybe all the way back to the reel-to-reels that I made in the Fifties.

Some folks here may remember the Fifties. You know, back in the time before lawyers...

Andy, I’m sorry but it has nothing to do with lawyers. It has everything to do with artists feeling like they were not seeing their fair share of the financial profit being made off their product by everyone else BUT them. And all the things you reference, cassette tapes, sneaking in a video camera, etc. etc. etc. are exactly the things that have brought us to THIS moment in time.

I’m sorry if it seems like in the old days it was simpler, but I’m sure if you were the actual artist, you’d feel very differently on this subject….