DCA DVD's and CD's....

Andyroo

Andy, I’m sorry but it has nothing to do with lawyers. It has everything to do with artists feeling like they were not seeing their fair share of the financial profit being made off their product by everyone else BUT them. And all the things you reference, cassette tapes, sneaking in a video camera, etc. etc. etc. are exactly the things that have brought us to THIS moment in time.

I’m sorry if it seems like in the old days it was simpler, but I’m sure if you were the actual artist, you’d feel very differently on this subject….

Hold on, Liz. I never had to sneak cassette recorders into contests; they were allowed (and in some cases, even encouraged). I never tried to bring in a video camera, so I can't speak to that. Does my old 8 mm Kodak movie camera count? I still have films from '52, '53, and '54. Who do I have to pay?

The important thing, however, is that I NEVER denied an artist making a profit off his or her work. Nor did I ever make a profit off their work. In short, I made the tapes; I listened to them; and they're currently up in my attic awaiting their chance to be played again - which some of them are from time to time.

Yes, Liz, things were simpler "back then." I sometimes wonder what ever became of the "artist" who, when he heard we were going to play one of his tunes in the upcoming season, didn't give us permission to use it. Instead he came out for a couple of weekends and worked with us to perfect it. I guess that's my kind of artist.

• Like 1

Hold on, Liz. I never had to sneak cassette recorders into contests; they were allowed (and in some cases, even encouraged). I never tried to bring in a video camera, so I can't speak to that. Does my old 8 mm Kodak movie camera count? I still have films from '52, '53, and '54. Who do I have to pay?

The important thing, however, is that I NEVER denied an artist making a profit off his or her work. Nor did I ever make a profit off their work. In short, I made the tapes; I listened to them; and they're currently up in my attic awaiting their chance to be played again - which some of them are from time to time.

Yes, Liz, things were simpler "back then." I sometimes wonder what ever became of the "artist" who, when he heard we were going to play one of his tunes in the upcoming season, didn't give us permission to use it. Instead he came out for a couple of weekends and worked with us to perfect it. I guess that's my kind of artist.

they're gone like so many other things in the past that made life so much simpler.

That may be your kind of artist, but they don't exist anymore.

Take the television show Glee for example. Some artists will not give their permission for their songs to be used on that. And the ones that do, as well as come be on the show, they aren't doing it to be nice. They are doing it for the almighty dollar and publicity. Make no mistake about that.

Hey Guys,

Sorry, I haven't been watching the threads this year, just due to the fact BOX5 is very busy at this time of year and we are growing tremendously right now.

In terms of copyrights, we are specifically waiting on synchronization rights we received mechanical rights today (via fedex). It is our hopes to ship CD's within the next day or so and start this ball rolling. We are ready to ship as soon as we get the go ahead from the copyright holders. There are several pieces we are waiting on. I won't be specific about those corps who we are waiting on as to not create issues with those corps. Lets just say, that if we don't get copyright permission there are at least one corps that wouldn't make the DVD at all and several corps that would have their shows severely cut and mangled.

I have been assured by the person that handles my copyright procurement that these won't be an issue but we MUST have permission before we ship or they will deny any and all copyright requests.

Copyright is different for EVERY corps and song used and we must negotiate with each copyright holder individually. The publisher (where the corps got permission to use the music) doesn't always hold the rights to synchronization (marrying of video to the audio). We do have mechanical (audio on CD) back and will begin shipping CD's. Mechanical is what DCI got for Madison and they couldn't procure synchronization thats why the DVD went black during Empire State of Mind. They weren't marrying video and audio so they could have the audio on the disc like a CD.

Synchronization & Mechanical is BOX5's responsibility as we are the company that is making money from the profit.

I hope that helps clear up some questions. If not please don't hesitate to email and ask.

Tim

can you comment if this " shipped status " is accurate? Thanks

http://www.box5produ...ntent/shipdates

if not , can you give an update?

Thanks

@FECONTRA

I can't click through your link, however, I am assuming that it goes to my shipdates page on the website. If thats the case, yes, we are shipping DCA as we speak. Mini-Corps has already shipped. Alumni and Finals should be shipped by the end of the week and prelims following closely behind.

The copyright gauntlet was a bear this year. Hopefully, in the future we can get some faster help by the copyright owners. It gets better every year, but it still has its problems and issues.

I will be posting a video shortly with excerpts from the finals DVD to give everyone a chance to see the final video. It turned out great and we are really proud of the product.

Tim

I would like to offer the following clip from the Minnesota Brass. This clip was taken directly from the DVD, both audio and video. This is the video (minus the compression for the internet) you will receive.

In honor of our shipping of this product we are starting our pre-Christmas, finally shipping, holiday sale!!! Order within the next 36 hours and get $20 off any DCA DVD product in our store. Individual DVD products are on sale for $10 off. This sale includes our newly released Finals BluRay DVD.

Also, if you ordered an individual corps bluray you can call us and upgrade your order to the full finals bluray for the difference between the 2 products. The Finals Bluray DOES NOT include awards due to disc space on the bluray.

Order now and take advantage of our exciting sale. And to make it a little sweeter, the next 50 people to order get free shipping with our shipping code DCADVDSNOW

Thanks for all your support and we look forward to getting your feedback on our product.

Tim

http://player.vimeo.com/video/33570562

I would like to offer the following clip from the Minnesota Brass. This clip was taken directly from the DVD, both audio and video. This is the video (minus the compression for the internet) you will receive.

In honor of our shipping of this product we are starting our pre-Christmas, finally shipping, holiday sale!!! Order within the next 36 hours and get $20 off any DCA DVD product in our store. Individual DVD products are on sale for $10 off. This sale includes our newly released Finals BluRay DVD.

Also, if you ordered an individual corps bluray you can call us and upgrade your order to the full finals bluray for the difference between the 2 products. The Finals Bluray DOES NOT include awards due to disc space on the bluray.

Order now and take advantage of our exciting sale. And to make it a little sweeter, the next 50 people to order get free shipping with our shipping code DCADVDSNOW

Thanks for all your support and we look forward to getting your feedback on our product.

Tim

Thanks for your response , early yesterday i got to the "shipping link " on your homepage and hoped it was correct!

I have seen the director's cut of my corps ( Skyliners Alumni ) on the bus ride home from Rochester , and we were all amazed at the quality of the sound!

I have an HD projection system and great audio setup in my man cave and I am drooling over the prospects of the individual Blu-Ray performance

thanks

frankiE

Edited by fecontra

Tim

So I guess the moral of the story is that you're crazy to place an order for DVDs in August (as I did), when the company drops the price by $20 in December!

How is that fair to everyone who ordered early? :thumbdown: