1960s baritone carried like a contra?

Jim Nevermann

Wife & I recently weekend-hosted a fellow PR alum --a '72 contra before he enlisted in the Air Force-- out here in WA. He mentioned that a season or two before my time in PR, he played a shoulder-carried baritone [or bass baritone?]. I'd seen the late horn arranger Keith Markey playing one in the USAF Academy D&B corps back in '68, but must have thought it was something he'd put together.

Yet apparently they were indeed manufactured for awhile. Info on them AND can you post pix?

Edited by Jim Nevermann

I believe you refer to an "over the shoulder" euphonium.

These were made by the Whaley Royce company. They looked much like a baby contra and were used by a few corps around that time. I recall seeing them first with the New York Kingsmen around 1967.

I have one in my collection and will post a photo when I get a chance.

Wife & I recently weekend-hosted a fellow PR alum --a '72 contra before he enlisted in the Air Force-- out here in WA. He mentioned that a season or two before my time in PR, he played a shoulder-carried baritone [or bass baritone?]. I'd seen the late horn arranger Keith Markey playing one in the USAF Academy D&B corps back in '68, but must have thought it was something he'd put together.

Yet apparently they were indeed manufactured for awhile. Info on them AND can you post pix?

The only horn that I have seen that might be what you speak of is a Trombonium . I think it was invented by Frank Dorritie . Dan Skinner , a St.Kevins & Defender low brass man plays one sometimes. I believe Dynasty produced them .

Mike D.

While it's true I suggested the original concept for the Trombonium to Don Getzen and Mark Schafer of Dynasty, that was in 1979. The original poster is referring to an instrument from the late '60s. I'm pretty sure it's that shoulder-carried euphonium.

I'll post a photo and we'll find out.

Edited by ironlips

I believe you refer to an "over the shoulder" euphonium.

These were made by the Whaley Royce company. They looked much like a baby contra and were used by a few corps around that time. I recall seeing them first with the New York Kingsmen around 1967.

I have one in my collection and will post a photo when I get a chance.

You are absolutly correct on Whaly Royce they were reg sized baritones just converted to shoulder carry for smaller players and looked pretty much like a baby contrs

Edited by ripper

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Speaking of tromboniums: they were short-lived because they didn't sound/project as hoped for, or...?

Madison's tromboniums, 1979, which were indeed shoulder carried. But, yeah, the shouldered euphonium from the decade earlier seems like what I remember & heard of. Frank's eMailing me a pix of one, which I'll also post for comparison with the tromboniums... unless he posts it first!

tromboniums79.jpg

HOW I POSTED THIS PHOTO [all of which was so straight-forward that even *I* figured it out!]

-I copied & pasted the trombonium photo from my PC into the free image-hosting site "Photobucket"

-Copied the images' URL from Photobucket

-Clicked on the "Insert Image" icon [looks like a small framed picture] right above the DCP text box in with the other icons

-Pasted the URL [for the trombonium image from Photobucket] into the "Image URL" field, and clicked "Insert Image"

-The photo's complete URL immediately appeared in the text box

-I added the text above and below the URL.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

The horn was the original bass-baritone model from Holton, manufactured in the mid-50s.

Here is one that now resides at the musical instrument museum at the University of South Dakota:

HoltonBassBariOTS.jpg

And here's one in a formal portrait of a young airman that some of you will recognize:

TWC-BB.jpg

There are two people active on this forum that own one of these, but they won't sell them to me.