1960s baritone carried like a contra?

Jim Nevermann

It's hard to get a sense of scale from the photo since there are no other horns there for comparison, so it does look like a contra.

The horn is similarly shaped, but is exactly half the size of the contra and plays an octave higher.

What size mouthpiece does that horn take? Looks like the "baby contras" we had in 74 but they used a contra mouthpiece and not sure if they played an octave up. Played 2v euph in some parades in the mid-80s and that thing took a MP slighty larger than a regular Bari MP. LOL, some panic involved when I asked for the MP for the euph and corps staff realized my Bari MP wouldn't fit. Found it in the back corner of the equipment truck (must have rolled back there).

<looking at the pic again>.... Did this horn take a trip to Harrisburg?

It takes a euphonium mouthpiece.

If you were to see this horn next a "baby" contra bass, it would appear about half the size. This is simply a Whaley Royce 1960's euphonium with a slightly different wrap so it can be shoulder carried.

It plays one octave above the contra, just like any baritone or euphonium.

It takes a euphonium mouthpiece.

If you were to see this horn next a "baby" contra bass, it would appear about half the size. This is simply a Whaley Royce 1960's euphonium with a slightly different wrap so it can be shoulder carried.

It plays one octave above the contra, just like any baritone or euphonium.

OK, now I get it....thanks

Explained so easy... even a non-musician (like me) can get it <$1 to Geico> :tongue: