Music City's Song List

Music City's 2012 show "Phantoms of the Grand Ole Opera" is in the works and will include the songs listed below. The show will mesh music from "Phantom of the Opera" with decades-old country classics made famous by the legends of the Grand Ole Opry.

The Phantom of the Opera theme

Ring of Fire

Walkin' After Midnight

Sweet Dreams

All I Ask of You

Your Cheatin' Heart

Point of No Return

Stand By Your Man

Music of the Night

Music City's audition camp will be held December 2-4. Prospective members can get more info and submit an application on the corps' website at www.MusicCityDrumCorps.org.

• Like 1

I don't know what to think of this, but I certainly wouldn't mind a listen.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting combination! Look forward to hearing the show.

The very best this season.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear BrassClef, sorry you didn't enjoy Dancing Queen. Btw, your comment is just plain rude.

It's an opinion board, don't take it so personally.

Music City's 2012 show "Phantoms of the Grand Ole Opera" is in the works and will include the songs listed below. The show will mesh music from "Phantom of the Opera" with decades-old country classics made famous by the legends of the Grand Ole Opry.

The Phantom of the Opera theme

Ring of Fire

Walkin' After Midnight

Sweet Dreams

All I Ask of You

Your Cheatin' Heart

Point of No Return

Stand By Your Man

Music of the Night

Music City's audition camp will be held December 2-4. Prospective members can get more info and submit an application on the corps' website at www.MusicCityDrumCorps.org.

I would certainly consider cutting down this list. Although, it would be genius writing if all these melodic and thematic elements could be seamlessly weaved together to make for a cohesive show. Sadly, that is seldom the case with so many different musical elements. It usually ends up sounding like a herky jerky mishmash of goo. Since so many of these melodies are infinitely familiar...try cutting the number in 1/2 so the corps can take a couple minutes to fully develop each musical and thematic idea before transtioning to the next musical thought. Nine songs is just too many to try to accomplish that in a standard 10 min. program.

Also, in Open Class, it's desirable...scoring-wise to push closer to the minimal time and not the maximum time. The more time a new young corps is on the field, the more mistakes are seen...especially as their endurance wears thin.

Also, there are just too many slow tempo music selected. I actually like establishing the Phantom theme into Ring of Fire. I think that's the best part of what I see above. Then several slower tempo numbers will most likely drain my enthusiasm rather quickly as an audience member. Then...the tempo doesn't really ever pick up. I mean Stand By Your Man is at what? 94-100 BPM at the most. Not a great closer tempo and then the Music of the Night...I like the theme tying it all together, but it's a really tricky slow piece of music the corps would have to play beautifully...while at the end of a 10 min. show. I contend...playing a beautiful ballad at the end of a drum corps show is a more serious challenge than playing some balls out loud fast chart. But, that's my assessment from someone with zero skin in the game.

• Like 1

I would certainly consider cutting down this list. Although, it would be genius writing if all these melodic and thematic elements could be seamlessly weaved together to make for a cohesive show. Sadly, that is seldom the case with so many different musical elements. It usually ends up sounding like a herky jerky mishmash of goo. Since so many of these melodies are infinitely familiar...try cutting the number in 1/2 so the corps can take a couple minutes to fully develop each musical and thematic idea before transtioning to the next musical thought. Nine songs is just too many to try to accomplish that in a standard 10 min. program.

Also, in Open Class, it's desirable...scoring-wise to push closer to the minimal time and not the maximum time. The more time a new young corps is on the field, the more mistakes are seen...especially as their endurance wears thin.

Also, there are just too many slow tempo music selected. I actually like establishing the Phantom theme into Ring of Fire. I think that's the best part of what I see above. Then several slower tempo numbers will most likely drain my enthusiasm rather quickly as an audience member. Then...the tempo doesn't really ever pick up. I mean Stand By Your Man is at what? 94-100 BPM at the most. Not a great closer tempo and then the Music of the Night...I like the theme tying it all together, but it's a really tricky slow piece of music the corps would have to play beautifully...while at the end of a 10 min. show. I contend...playing a beautiful ballad at the end of a drum corps show is a more serious challenge than playing some balls out loud fast chart. But, that's my assessment from someone with zero skin in the game.

I'm sure Music City's design staff have this figured out. They did a pretty good job the last three years, this year will be no exception.

• Like 1

Here's the game plan in a bit more detail. As you probably figured out, the show will mesh the music of Phantom of the Opera with some country classics made famous by past stars of the Grand Ole Opry. So each segment of the show will actually consist of two songs. There will be a minimal story line (boy/girl/conflict/resolution). And the show maps out like this...

Opener: The Phantom of the Opera theme/Ring of Fire

Front Ensemble transition: Walkin' After Midnight

Ballad: Sweet Dreams/Music of the Night

Drum Feature: Your Cheatin' Heart/Point of No Return

Closer: All I Ask of You/Stand By Your Man

By the way, Music City is still accepting video auditions for the color guard. For more info please submit an application at www.MusicCityDrumCorps.org. Also, the corps will select a new team of drum majors at the upcoming January 13-15 camp for brass and percussion. It's not too late to throw your name in the drum major hat. Please submit an application to receive more info about the DM auditions.

Edited by MusicCityDrumCorps