Cadets2 question...

I do not understand the reasoning that limiting your potential member pool to such a narrow age range is an advantage. To say that it is an advantage is to say that it is not possible for a 26+ year old to out play or out march a 25- year old.

I don't believe their intent on the age cap is to make their corps youthful for the pupose of being able to handle difficult visual requirements. If it is their intent, that would be silly. IMO, it would be much smarter to allow all ages to audition and through the auditioning process...narrow down the applicants to those that they feel will be able to handle what they plan to do on the field, regardless of their age. If that ends up being 25 year olds and younger....so be it.

For whatever reason, they chose to restrict the age of the members (which they are perfectly free to do). I believe that gives them a disadvantage as they are selecting from a smaller pool of candidates that the other corps they are competing against.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that as a 41 year old, I'm pretty sure I could be a very capable member of that corps. However, they don't even want to see me. That's their choice. I'll march elsewhere. Life goes on.

I think some of the posts are looking at this backwards. YEA! is not looking to start an all-age DCA corps and then try and fill it. They are looking to create a weekend-only option for HS and college aged kids (and recent grads) to be able to have a Cadet experience, and then they decided where they would have the most opportunities to compete as a weekend-only group.

If you look at it from that perspective, they aren't 'limiting' themselves in recruitment...the very purpose of the organization calls for such an age range.

For all we here know about mixing ages in DCA corps, and how well it generally works, think of this from the position of the parents of potential members, esp given the stuff going on at Penn State and now Syracuse. These are not corps-savvy people in general...they are band parents willing to have their children join a group that will provide them a great summer marching/music opportunity.

For all we here know about mixing ages in DCA corps, and how well it generally works, think of this from the position of the parents of potential members, esp given the stuff going on at Penn State and now Syracuse. These are not corps-savvy people in general...they are band parents willing to have their children join a group that will provide them a great summer marching/music opportunity.

:blink: 25 year old children?,............I would be more worried about mixing the 25 year olds with the 16 year olds than the staff with the kids in DCI,........at least there the parents know that the staff has security clearances,.........

I think some of the posts are looking at this backwards. YEA! is not looking to start an all-age DCA corps and then try and fill it. They are looking to create a weekend-only option for HS and college aged kids (and recent grads) to be able to have a Cadet experience, and then they decided where they would have the most opportunities to compete as a weekend-only group.

If you look at it from that perspective, they aren't 'limiting' themselves in recruitment...the very purpose of the organization calls for such an age range.

I understand that. My arguement was only with calling the age cap a competative advantage. I'm not arguing, or even questioning, YEA's decision to limit the age.

Now this is about the 3rd time we have been through this. Page, after page, after page, of the SAME thngs, over and over. Come on DCP add them all in One and Close this.

The One and ONLY answer is: Cadets2 have every Right to start, and do, WHATEVER it wants to do, under DCA Rules. End of Subject.

They will be somewhere between: "the greatest thing that has ever happened to DCA - or - just another Corps added to DCA"

I am Not, and never have been a Big "Garfield Cadets, Cadets of Beg. Cnty., The Cadets fan. AHHHHHHH, but what a Great History all of that is. A History, MANY Corps, could only Dream of having. Now a new part of that History is to start.

Lets move on. Look what Should be a "Stand alone Post" about C2.

" about 100 attended,.............seems the guard won't be back till April,.............Battery had what seems like 30 - 40 applicants.............pit about a dozen,.............staff quotes include they want more brass and guard,...............", lost in all that other stufff.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 2

:blink: 25 year old children?,............I would be more worried about mixing the 25 year olds with the 16 year olds than the staff with the kids in DCI,........at least there the parents know that the staff has security clearances,.........

They seem to be...note "seem"...focussing on the school-aged potential members, with the older recent age-out idea coming along for the ride, so to speak.

That is my take on it, anyway. To the above...I was not even thinking of staff and kids...I was considering more the mixing of 16 and 40 year-old members. Whether or not it is an issue in other DCA corps is just not relevant if you (meaning YEA!) are trying to get USSBA band kids (current and recent) to participate.

I believe that the average age in DCI a couple of years ago was something like 19.4. I doubt that we'll see a stat like that from DCA because they don't require their corps to keep them.

Well HEYYYY! Glad I can help the corps out by adding to the hype and "freak out". My check is in the mail, right? ;)

I'm not paying for you to hype them. Talk to George

any corps that accepts minors is stupid without clearances wether it's C2 with limited, or someone like Kilties who usually only let in minors whose parents are members.

any corps that accepts minors is stupid without clearances wether it's C2 with limited, or someone like Kilties who usually only let in minors whose parents are members.

I'll agree with Gary. From what I hear the Kilties are pretty strict about that.