IF they've gotten a quality instructional staff

THEN

the fun begins :-)

Dust of the 1983 book.

Write some new drill.

Write a much better guard book.

Throw in some sets from the old show.

WIN!

Repeat next year with your favorite Cadets show from the past 30 yrs.

Fans will love it. Even old fart fans.

Marchers will love it.

Judges will love it.

While C2 can't do recent C1 shows, they can certainly do 80's and early 90's C1 shows.

It's like an alumni corps only they can actually march and play the old shows.

They don't have to *keep* doing that but I'd sure do it for the first few years.

I can't wait to see them. I really can't! :)

One thing is for certain. I am a Cadets2 FAN to the very deepest part of my BONES (and they haven't even had their 2nd camp yet). Can't wait to see them. Just dissapointed I'll never see them go head to head with BDB or get a chance to perform in World/Open Semifinals. But I'll live.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012

As I said BEFORE.

" Now this is about the 3rd time we have been through this. Page, after Page, after Page, of the SAME thngs, Over and Over............ "

The One and ONLY answer is:

" Cadets2 have every Right to Start, and Do, WHATEVER it wants to do, under DCA Rules. End of Subject. "

" THEY will be somewhere between: " the Greatest thing that has ever happened to DCA - or - just another (NEW) Corps added to DCA "

" I am NOT, and never have been a Big, "Garfield Cadets, Cadets of Beg. Cnty., The Cadets fan.

"AHHHHHHH, but what a Great History all of that is. A History, MANY Corps, could only Dream of having." " Now a New Part of that History is to start. "

Come on " C2 ", Members, Staff, Parents, Fans. Make some posts about what "C2", IS, and will be doing. Seperate from this NEVER ending Twisty, Turnry, Spininning, thread of page after page, on and on, STUFF.

All the Factual things, about first camp/meeting etc., Numbers that showed up, possible music/show deaign, ARE all getting LOST in this thread.

What they (C2) Do, is up to them, and with the History of the Org. they are connected too. I am sure it will be of the Highest Quality product. (Though one I will WAIT and see, if I like whatever they do IS. )

• Like 1

Don't think Cadets allow members to post on social media, probably same for C2 but no idea...

THAT is ridiculous! Did you read the report on their camp numbers? NOBODY in DCA has that kind of turnout at their first camp. Win or not, they WILLLLLLLLLLLLL be in the top 5.

Please enlighten me. I see a number on their website that says about 100. I hope you are not impressed by 100. I have been to open houses with 100 people in attendance as recently a last month. Good for them, that is a great start.

Because the younger kids are going to be in better physical shape and will be able to do more of a demanding drill design and have more physical endurance. Handicap my butt. Sure, the old guys in senior corps might be more experienced players (some even professionals) but that don't mean SQUAT when they have to MOVE and play. Old guys (even the best of them) will have more feet pulsation in the sound and struggle more to get a great sound. Sorry to break it to ya, but unless you are a 38 year old NFL athlete, the old guys in this activity will not hold up physically in comparison to the kids. Sorry to burst your bubble. There are not many truly athletic adults in DCA. Rather, it's mostly made up of old guys with beer guts trying to re-live their glory years. And hey, I aint knockin it. I PAY good momey to see it every year and even marched in a DCA corps myself once. But let's be real....those DCI age kids will march circles around the older DCA corps.

They'll be in better shape JUST because they are younger? I see your point, but I have to say your logic is a little flawed. Yes they are younger and their bodies aren't broken down yet, but they are also on a weekend only rehearsal schedule like the rest of us. Therefore they will only be strong if their membership maintains a solid monday-friday exercise schedule. Just like EVERYONE else. We are NOT talking about a true junior corps that is just jumping in to DCA. I am not a 38 year old NFL athlete, nor do I understand why I would need to be, but I run a couple of miles everyday and hit the weights as well just to keep my body up to snuf. The "old fart, beer gut, glory years" remark is intended as an insult and I don't know if I should say anything about it, but I'll add just this: quite a few people in every DCA corps are still in their "glory years" and have not even reached 22 years old yet. And again, we are NOT talking about DCI kids. We are now talking about DCA kids, just like the rest of us.

Again, check the camp attendance. The dues are obviously not a problem and infact, make it look all the more legit to an 18 year old - to say nothing of the fact that they actually ARE part of the Cadets.

As for your comment about C1 kids turning down an offer. If you are talking about alum who have aged out...DUHHH! It's not built as an all age corps anyway so why would they want to?

If you are talking about potential canidates for the current C1, just wait until the start making CUTS! The true "Cadet hand me downs" are still holding hopeful for C1. Once the cuts are made...THEN we will see what really happens. I'm certain that many who are cut will come running....just like they do in BDB and SCVC.

My response to you in short: You are DREEEEAAAAAMIN!!!

I'm not sure what your "duh" comment is about. It is indeed built as an all age corps. That's kind of the point. Yes once C1 makes cuts those that happen to live within a few hours of Allentown will be welcome to try their hand at C2, if they are interested. I'm not seeing this as being a very large crowd, but nevertheless it will exist and good for C2.

In the end, who will be the potential membership of Cadets2? Kids that are not ready for junior corps, kids that can't afford junior corps, and kids that can't sacrifice the time for a junior corps tour. Sound like anyone else? Maybe EVERYONE else? The only thing missing is the kids that have already aged out and love drum corps so much that they want to continue spending their summers doing it.

My response to you in short: we both clearly think the other is crazy. I definitely don't think I am the one who is dreaming, but in reality the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. We shall see, and I look forward to it.

I can say this for certain... George has got to be eating this up.

• Like 1

Many corps don't allow it ( and for very good reason ). on here or facebook etc etc. I was with a corps that released and sent home a kid mid season because of a facebook rant.unfortunately many young people will and are starting to learn that public comments on ones inner most feelings :rolleyes: is going to keep them from many things and opportunities. It's happend to many in the activity already.

Edited by GUARDLING

Many corps don't allow it . on here or facebook etc etc. I was with a corps that released a kid mid season because of a facebook rant.

I should have included the part from 2B that I was responding to so my meaning was clearer. :doh:

He was calling on C2 folks to report on what was going on and I'm wondering if anyone (besides GH) is allowed to post on social media.

• Like 1

OP ....Your point is taken by others. The others don't post on DCP, ( to which they would support you). But they are out there marching in All Age corps and have felt somewhat slighted like you. I will offer some of their opinions in this post-as there are two sides to every coin. I don't agree with them entirely, as I support Cadets2 decision to go DCA. But because I don't see many coming here to defend your thoughts, I thought I would mention some opinions in support of yours. . Perhaps their thoughts will make others think too....

When announced by YEA....Like the OP, I didn't like the concept of Cadets2 going to DCA. This because I felt Cadets2 could help DCI Open Class make a comeback on the East Coast. I wanted something like the Garden State circuit to happen, where, like a "Target in a strip mall", Cadets2 considered themselves an "anchor corps". Thus, Jersey Surf, Spartans, 7th Regiment, Spirit of Newark, and Raiders would have a stronger Open Class audience in the Northeast. When Crown, Cadets, and Boston were not your anchor corps after July 4th.... Open Class corps could hold their own in providing a great show for fans.

I wanted to see the East Coast Open Class scene, become like the West Coast Open Class scene.

The West benefitted tremendously in Open Class when the Rose Bowl was DCI's site for Finals in 07.. 4 corps Open Class corps in the Southern California formed around this time, including two Alumni groups in Kingsmen and Freelancers. Post Rose Bowl- there is a great regional touring model. and a DCI Pacific Open Class Championship.

My bottom line.....I want to see DCI have more regional touring models like California. So why do I agree with Cadets2 decision? .... In the absence of what was the Garden State Circuit, DCE, and DCI South - The reality is the East has DCA to supplement that model. It has experienced a "Renaissance" in DCA corps coming to field in the same way the West experienced it in DCI due to Finals 07.

Windsor, Fusion, Gold, Alliance,, ...and now Cadets2. More corps, more regional touring opportunity. Hence, Cadets2 more than

enhance that model.

The reality is not DCI- but you still have marching opportunity, and that is what we all want to see. So....Win.

Now, in support of other views....When I hear from friends and others who I either march with am fellow fans with- This is what I often hear....

They don't get why Cadets2 will cap their age, and are more importantly, allowed to do so, when all other corps they compete against allow all age to everyone. why are the Directors of other corps not speaking up at the DCA meetings or otherwise to vote against this? Also, they ask why someone must audition for a DCA corps...it's a foreign concept to them. They also see that being able to come in as an affiliate to the " Marching Music Major League World Champion" - presents an unfair advantage in recruiting. This, when many corps

already struggle to find members. And lastly.....the obvious. ...Cadets changed the way everyone marched drill in the 80s and they

believe in Music is Movement. So will they change drill in DCA to a point...where like "pricing out", they " drill out" other corps.? Will those corps die off because they fall behind those that adopt? The result of changing drill begins to force out the "old guard" in many corps Those individuals who were that nucleus that started the corps - quit. They are the individuals who are most loyal to keeping it going,- These are the guys you count on year after year....while some come and go- this "nucleus" comes back. Now....gone

My friends are not afraid to march, over these opinions, as alluded to in a prior post. But what I think they are seeing with this is a point of being "disenfranchised" so to speak. They march DCA and are not in their early 20s.... So they don't feel it's right to be competing against a corps that will for the most part be- for youth. They feel in many ways there is DCI for that- and

that that DCA should be an alternative to that youth mission of DCI. On an extreme side, they feel it's a gray area that needs to be worked out between DCI and DCA,

The worst part about this...they stop marching cause of a feeling of no longer wanting to be there. I think it's like being in a marching

purgatory for them They are not yet wanting to standstill and play as alumni...but at the same time dont want to march 150 to 200 pages

of drill to march against a corps that has an average age of a DCI corps. They are somewhere in the middle.of the current state o things. They would march DCA2 - " The Senior Division but not yet Alumni Division" if there was one.

I will be marching this season. At 34, I am not yet in " marching purgatory.". I look forward to seeing Cadets2 play "To Tame the Perilous Skies" and bring back 92......Well, one can hope.

But what I don't want to see is friends of mine give up, nor others blow up after we see the results in Annapolis. I am having a hard enough time convincing friends to march because they already feel that DCA has gone the way of youth. Now with a corps that has an

age cap...it has become harder....

But, I guess if they don't march,,,,,thats them, Not me.

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 4

I should have included the part from 2B that I was responding to so my meaning was clearer. :doh:

He was calling on C2 folks to report on what was going on and I'm wondering if anyone (besides GH) is allowed to post on social media.

Although I understand that many Corps have these type rules.

All I am saying is, that someone in the "Know" start putting up other Posts. So that many of us can skip this one. If we want, maybe come back to it later to read. There have been SOME interesting things said about the "C2" way of things. Could not, "C2" at least post. A "PR" person of some kind. Maybe a parent or friend of a member, or an in the know Alumni type person Post. If just saying they read on "Cadets" - "C2" site, with some up to date, Factual info. Then have all this: They Can, They May, They Could, They Should, They Must, Stuff on this Thread.

Oh, and I am NOT saying that this thread should not be. But it has way tooooooooooooo many different things in it. Like I also said. I have never been a Cadets fan in any form Fan. BUT, I still like to keep up with things, yes even the ones I do Not Like.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

Please enlighten me. I see a number on their website that says about 100. I hope you are not impressed by 100.

I think you are missing something there buddy...that's 100 WITHOUT GUARD!!!! Brass and drums ONLY. Probably equiling about 70 horns and 30 percussion (give or take...ball park). Yeah, I'm "IMPRESSED"! Name the last DCA corps that marched 70 horns. Closest I can remember is Renegades in 04 with about 68. Don't think I've seen one that big since.

• Like 1

So basically if you're not going to win, why try?

You misunderstood me. The hype is that they are going to blow away the competition "by no less than 4 points" in someone else's words. I am saying they are handicapping themselves too much for that to happen. NOT that they should just give up. They will likely develop a very high quality corps and begin to generate a whole new breed of high quality potential applicants for The Cadets in the future. But needless to say they will be starting with a younger, less experienced stock of talent. If they get good enough, can afford it, and so forth then they will probably end up in C1 and not C2.

Clearly, I never suggested they might as well fold before they start as I gave a laundry list of advantages for everyone. Cadets2 is a good thing. I am not a fan of YEA!, The Cadets, or George but this is a GOOD thing, IMHO. As a fellow competitor I am excited to see this new corps on the field next summer.

you do realize corps field every year that know they wont win, but will go out and give their all right?

as for the hype...no one from C2 is doing that hype. The only people doing that hype is people like you because you see YEA doing something that find to be unethical, illegal etc.

God, you're making me defend YEA. Stop that