I recall the stadium where we did an exhibition at a DCA show in Chambersburg, PA a few years back, and it was gorgeous.

I agree, John... that is an excellent stadium.

We hosted a small DCA show back when the field was still grass..I remember Sunrisers, maybe Westshore, Johnsonburg did a standstill...Once the Crossmen were here for a camp, then did a show around those years. We had kids from Brockway in the Corps and some were Phantom. After Cabs Alumni, I have been hoping to put Drum Corps back on that field.(Hate the 4th on a weekday, it cramps who we can get here)

When you speak of "carpets upon which we marched, there's a high school field in Brockway, Pennsylvania - a very small town right off Route I-80 - that has perhaps the finest surface I've ever marched on. We did an exhibition there a couple of years ago and the field was phenomenal; it was like performing on a pool table.

It probably comes as no surprise that the owner of the company that installs such surfaces lives there.

It's too bad that the town doesn't appear to be large enough to suppoort a DCA show; you'd love the field.

I was recently on a field hockey field (which seems to be similar to some football fields) that has artificial turf, but these little black plastic beads which I gather are for cushion? Seems to be a bit too slippery for marching purposes, but might be fine if wearing cleats...

I've been on the turf at Beaver Stadium at Penn State and WOW what a nice grass surface! It would be like marching on a fairway it's so nice! (and I've done that at the Lady Keystone Open in Hershey way back in the day...The Westshoremen used to play for their awards ceremony)

Astro-turf is cool! Franklin Field in Philly was a good one that I didn't mention..I HAVE marched on the field at the old Veterans Stadium in Philly...but that was in high school before a Phillies game.

I liked Aquinas Stadium. Playing there was always special. Great crowds, a real drum corps showcase. We used to play there at the New York/Canadian championships. I can remember one finals in 1966, I think, where the whole horseshoe was full...even the back side! Of course, the big draw that year was the defending national champion Rochester Crusaders!

Another special stadium was Cawley Stadium which was another concrete horseshoe in Lowell, MA north of Boston. I have sweet memories playing there in 1967 in the prelims of my only American Legion nationals.

I liked Aquinas Stadium. Playing there was always special. Great crowds, a real drum corps showcase. We used to play there at the New York/Canadian championships. I can remember one finals in 1966, I think, where the whole horseshoe was full...even the back side! Of course, the big draw that year was the defending national champion Rochester Crusaders!

Another special stadium was Cawley Stadium which was another concrete horseshoe in Lowell, MA north of Boston. I have sweet memories playing there in 1967 in the prelims of my only American Legion nationals.

actually, '66 DCA was in Bridgeport JFK (speaking of great drum corps venues)

'67 was first year at Aquinas and it was a HUGE crowd...

Now those were compromises... to keep peace between Lefty and Cos... Vince Bruni got to become DCA President and have the championship move to Rochester... Think of it... Brigs and Cabs were in DCA for 1966 Bridgeport... Crusaders still held out... then... in one year... 1967... Cru joined DCA, Had their director elected President and got to have the championship moved to their home... now that Vince Bruni guy... how he could maneuver (politically)... I still miss him...

Edited by TomPeashey

I was recently on a field hockey field (which seems to be similar to some football fields) that has artificial turf, but these little black plastic beads which I gather are for cushion? Seems to be a bit too slippery for marching purposes, but might be fine if wearing cleats...

I've been on the turf at Beaver Stadium at Penn State and WOW what a nice grass surface! It would be like marching on a fairway it's so nice! (and I've done that at the Lady Keystone Open in Hershey way back in the day...The Westshoremen used to play for their awards ceremony)

Astro-turf is cool! Franklin Field in Philly was a good one that I didn't mention..I HAVE marched on the field at the old Veterans Stadium in Philly...but that was in high school before a Phillies game.

those black beads arent a problem for marching ( or judging) at al, tho sometimes they stick to your shoes.

brockway is nice...judged there once.

Always partial to Hershey, Scranton, Bucknell, Allentown...and always loved Cumberland MD. never got to march at Kingston but great place to watch a show. Clifton was cool too.

DCI side....Madison is still my fave.

Now those were compromises... to keep peace between Lefty and Cos... Vince Bruni got to become DCA President and have the championship move to Rochester... Think of it... Brigs and Cabs were in DCA for 1966 Bridgeport... Crusaders still held out... then... in one year... 1967... Cru joined DCA, Had their director elected President and got to have the championship moved to their home... now that Vince Bruni guy... how he could maneuver (politically)... I still miss him...

Actually, DCA was in Bridgeport in 67 as well ... 68 was the first year for Rochester ... I explored the possibility of bringing Championships back to Bpt but, Kennedy Stadium does not have the 7,500 concert side seats required and there is a severe lack of hotels within a reasonable distance from the stadium ... UConn's new football stadium (Hartford, CT) considered hosting DCA until MSG, who maintains the property, flat out said no ...

Oh well ...

Edited by ajlisko

Yes, those DCA's at Aquinas were great. I attended as a spectator, but I was referring to The NY/Canadian shows where I competed in the junior circuit.

those black beads arent a problem for marching ( or judging) at al, tho sometimes they stick to your shoes.

brockway is nice...judged there once.

Always partial to Hershey, Scranton, Bucknell, Allentown...and always loved Cumberland MD. never got to march at Kingston but great place to watch a show. Clifton was cool too.

DCI side....Madison is still my fave.

And speaking of Clifton, did I hear correctly that the Grand Prix is returning to Clifton this summer?