And speaking of Clifton, did I hear correctly that the Grand Prix is returning to Clifton this summer?

That's the rumor ...

:smile:

Actually, DCA was in Bridgeport in 67 as well ... 68 was the first year for Rochester ... I explored the possibility of bringing Championships back to Bpt but, Kennedy Stadium does not have the 7,500 concert side seats required and there is a severe lack of hotels within a reasonable distance from the stadium ... UConn's new football stadium (Hartford, CT) considered hosting DCA until MSG, who maintains the property, flat out said no ...

Oh well ...

:worthy: I of course should have said 68... A.L. knows all...

Actually, DCA was in Bridgeport in 67 as well ... 68 was the first year for Rochester ... I explored the possibility of bringing Championships back to Bpt but, Kennedy Stadium does not have the 7,500 concert side seats required and there is a severe lack of hotels within a reasonable distance from the stadium ... UConn's new football stadium (Hartford, CT) considered hosting DCA until MSG, who maintains the property, flat out said no ...

Oh well ...

I'm reminded of that 67 DCA in Bridgeport. Think there were only ten corps. Easy to make finals.

"Best Stadiums":

Long lost Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium should be high on anybodys list (And surprised no one else has mentioned it yet). As WRETCHED as the old girl could get (Baseball Diamond and all that) it was "THE PLACE" to march. Decades of Dream Contests and Previews of Champions, the World Open in 1963, VFW Nationals in 1966 and DCA Championship in 1972 make it a "Mecca" for drum corps pagents.

Understand it is now leveled and a housing projest now graces the turf where countless drum corps performed.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

"Best Stadiums":

Long lost Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium should be high on anybodys list (And surprised no one else has mentioned it yet). As WRETCHED as the old girl could get (Baseball Diamond and all that) it was "THE PLACE" to march. Decades of Dream Contests and Previews of Champions, the World Open in 1963, VFW Nationals in 1966 and DCA Championship in 1972 make it a "Mecca" for drum corps pagents.

Understand it is now leveled and a housing projest now graces the turf where countless drum corps performed.

Elphaba

Probably because anything with a pitchers mound usually meant trouble. In 1967, the Cavaliers did a complete brass line company front for the exit. I wonder if they had that in 66 for the Dream and had to deal with said pitchers mound.

Probably because anything with a pitchers mound usually meant trouble. In 1967, the Cavaliers did a complete brass line company front for the exit. I wonder if they had that in 66 for the Dream and had to deal with said pitchers mound.

I hated stadiums that were also baseball parks. Pitchers mound and in the case of the old Baltimore stadium the bleachers didn't line up with the sideline so perspective was off. I can't remember that being an issue at Dream, but man when it rained at Dream......

I hated stadiums that were also baseball parks. Pitchers mound and in the case of the old Baltimore stadium the bleachers didn't line up with the sideline so perspective was off. I can't remember that being an issue at Dream, but man when it rained at Dream......

Many times as a judge we were told... "the agreement is no ticks while they are marching over the pitcher's mound"

now ... as a visual guy, that was cool... we could handle it... but How did the brass guys handle it?

" The Best "

That can mean many different things. Like one stated already: "Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium ". The Sight's, The Sounds, and YES, The Smells. The Charter Bus parking area for FANS. (a seperate one from the Corps patisipants). About 20,000 or more people. The Big Named Corps from NJ, NY, CT, IL, MA, DE, MD, WI, and more from all over the USA. Plus Ont. and Quebec, Canada. "Every Year." It was an "Experience", both as a Fan or Competitor. No matter if it was "The Dream", "The Preview of Champions", "The VFW Nationals", "The World Open", "The DCA Championships" (and they were ALL held there). What a History!!!

BUT:

I marched in "The Dream", many Times (in Junior Division, also with a Corps that gave an Exhibition, and then in the Senior Division.) as a for instance.

It was one of the WORST fields I ever marched on.

Would I change a thing. Not on your life. Neither as a FAN or a Contender on the field.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

"Best Stadiums":

Long lost Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium should be high on anybodys list (And surprised no one else has mentioned it yet). As WRETCHED as the old girl could get (Baseball Diamond and all that) it was "THE PLACE" to march.

I agree.

Just considering the stadium on its own... well.. the place was a broken-down, way-past-its-prime pit of a facility.

But put drum corps in there, along with a big crowd of drum corps fans... either on a hot summer Sunday for the Dream, or for any of the other shows held there... and there was magic in the air. :thumbup:

That's the rumor ...

:smile:

I wonder if we can relocate the PA system at the Passaic Tech stadium to the stadium at Clifton. LOL

The Passaic Tech system is excellent. The one at Clifton can be an adventure, shall we say. :tongue: