A City for Championships

Sorry. I guess I misunderstood the definition of "previous success." I assumed that success meant drawing in large numbers of locals. I didn't see many locals at all at Scranton or Rochester. If the intent is to try to bring in large numbers of locals to help "build a region," then I'm all for it. However, if building a region is a major part of the goal, then a very heavy public ad campaign prior to finals is crucial; otherwise it's just "all of us" going to finals.

I'm not just talking townies. People will drive 2 hours to the Scranton show to see it. I have many times. I know many others that have and still do ( it always falls on a bad weekend these days for me).

But I know many of those same people that will not drive 5 hours to Rochester. I know from my one year of working with an upstate NY corps, I met many people who said "Scranton is too far, I wont go there for finals if it goes back after Syracuse".

so you build the region. Get a sizable amount of fans built up within a 2 or 3 hour drive of the finals site.

Winston Salem was hyped to be the great DCA hope. An area with no local DCA ties. Several hours in any direction from the nearest DCA show. 3000 people showed up. Oh I have heard all the hype about if it had rained right before the show...########. $40 tickets are not going to draw locals that dont know about DCA. The region needed to be built up first. Was WS a cool town? yeah it wasn't bad. Wasn't all it was cracked up to be either, but it was ok. But i can guarantee you many people from up here would not have gone because of the distance.