1979 North Star Soloist All Time Best

:ph34r:

Hey Kenny - didn't know that about Tommy and the '76 season(the LaCrosse thing). I had only heard the records from '75 featuring Tom, and I didn't get to see him until '76. (was in the Army)

Seeing the small corps that appeared at Drum Beauty in Stillwater that year, and hearing Tommy hanging over in the warmup just LIT UP THE CROWD!! Porkchop and I were stationed on the 50 behind the fence with my trusty cassette recorder, and after that show, we were Kiltie fans big time..MBI was pretty small that year, so we loved the fact that the Mad Plaid showed some chutzpah for lack of numbers.. :worthy:

I played that tape till it died..Between Tommy Meredith and Chris Metzger, it was tough to top those guys.

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

Thanks Mike - that would be Mr. Steve "Saint" Dorgan. His nickname being given to him by our drill instructor, Ike Ianessa. Steve had come to 27th from the St. Agnes CYO Band in Arlington.

Needless to say, I thought he was a "Saint" because of his abilities to make that horn sing !!!

Saint went on to teach the Rockland Defenders for many years. We marched together in the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps in 1994, and is now playing in the Defenders Alumni Corps. He's a real class act !

I marched in St Agnes, 27th and now Defenders Alumni Corps with Steve/Saint. (To be truthful, I "march." Saint kinda "ambles" ... ) In 2011 Saint was inducted into the Massachusetts Drum Corps & Music Educators Hall of Fame. He is also a music teacher/band director in Stoughton, MA, and also plays with the Mass. Brass Alumni Corps. He played a mean slide trombone.

Edited by Navillus WP
  • Like 2

I agree with many of the posts about great soloists, and the solos by North Star always riveted audiences, but one soloist seems to be omitted, the young man, probably about 13 or 14 at the time (I don't know his name), who does the solo in the Garfield Cadets 1980 "Elk's Parade." Now I've heard the rumor that he is just playing around and someone else is hiding in the drum line actually playing the solo. If the young man did not play the solo, whoever did certainly deserves to be among the best.

Sorry it wasn't a rumor. It was Al Chez playing behind the drumline. If you take a close look at the video Jarrod's (the young man)hands are streched out holding his horn in one hand ,his shacko in the other and Al was still screaming in the backround.The whole thing was planned that way.

I agree with many of the posts about great soloists, and the solos by North Star always riveted audiences, but one soloist seems to be omitted, the young man, probably about 13 or 14 at the time (I don't know his name), who does the solo in the Garfield Cadets 1980 "Elk's Parade." Now I've heard the rumor that he is just playing around and someone else is hiding in the drum line actually playing the solo. If the young man did not play the solo, whoever did certainly deserves to be among the best.

Edited by Joe S

The bari player in 27th who played the trombone solo in the 1971 Chicago medley used as the concert number was pretty darn awesome.

Going back even further, BS' great sop soloist on "Free Again" in 69 and 70 (named Bill Pusey, I think).

Totally agree on both.

You're correct... the Blessed Sac soloist was Bill Pusey. He's a professional musician and works with the Reilly Raiders alumni corps.

Speaking of great solos:

1980 Crossmen, their version of "Pictures of Spain" for their opener... the soprano soloist playing the "Jeff Kievit solo" in that tune.

Anyone know his name? He was amazing!

The bari player in 27th who played the trombone solo in the 1971 Chicago medley used as the concert number was pretty darn awesome.

Thanks for remembering Mike.

It seems like another lifetime ago when I played that solo.

Now I'm back teaching the Defenders alumni (and playing too!)

We just finished a great season and looking forward to our Open House on Jan. 15.

Abington Senior Center

441 Summer St.

Abington, MA

Noon to 4pm

Come on down and join the fun (shameless plug!)

Steve "The Saint" Dorgan

• Like 1

Thanks Mike - that would be Mr. Steve "Saint" Dorgan. His nickname being given to him by our drill instructor, Ike Ianessa. Steve had come to 27th from the St. Agnes CYO Band in Arlington.

Needless to say, I thought he was a "Saint" because of his abilities to make that horn sing !!!

Saint went on to teach the Rockland Defenders for many years. We marched together in the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps in 1994, and is now playing in the Defenders Alumni Corps. He's a real class act !

They called me "The Saint" because I looked like a young Roger Moore!

• Like 1