1979 North Star Soloist All Time Best

I guess I'd remind people of Jim Centorino of Salem, MA, the featured soloist of Boston Crusaders 1969-71.

Before BAC, he was featured soloist for Majestic Knights (Charlestown MA). After aging out, Jim was featured soloist of the Rhode Island Matadors.

While attending Boston College, Jim starred as featured trumpet soloist and was band president, where his focus was on concert programs of popular music.

Jim was inducted into the Massachusetts Drum Corps Hall of Fame and the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

His solo on the BAC's 69 opener jazz version of "Conquest" was amazing.

Now HERE'S the importance of DCP... Jim Centorino is a guy I've heard of forever, but I never knew his work... and it turns out he played some of my favorite solos of all time.... TOO COOL!

No matter what your list, no matter what the era (even if you don't know enough to know that there were players before 1974 or what ever. No one Junior Drum Corps soloist ever, ever made my hair stand on end like Jim's awesome performances (show after show!) during that Conquest OTL! If you haven't heard it, find it ... listen to it ... be amazed because even for the recording technology from back then you will hear a virtuosity surrounded by a horn chart that could only be called inspired.

• Like 1

I guess I'd remind people of Jim Centorino of Salem, MA, the featured soloist of Boston Crusaders 1969-71.

Before BAC, he was featured soloist for Majestic Knights (Charlestown MA). After aging out, Jim was featured soloist of the Rhode Island Matadors.

While attending Boston College, Jim starred as featured trumpet soloist and was band president, where his focus was on concert programs of popular music.

Jim was inducted into the Massachusetts Drum Corps Hall of Fame and the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

Some of my favorite Matador shows are on "that site". Funny thing is Matadors were all over the place as far as placings are concerned but every show knocked you on yer rear end. One of my favorite memories is seeing the corps at a Memorial Day exhibition show in VERY low stands (Danville, PA). Image seeing and hearing that hornline at eyeball to bell level as they're coming at you. :blink:

Never knew his Jr history... thanks.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And it took some doing to keep him marching with the BAC before that happened.

Before the DCI era, the exact definition of "Aging-Out" was a (ahem) flexible standard ... a concept that some corps learned the hard way towards the end of the Seventies. (I'm just sayin' ....)

Before the DCI era, the exact definition of "Aging-Out" was a (ahem) flexible standard ... a concept that some corps learned the hard way towards the end of the Seventies. (I'm just sayin' ....)

Wish I was around the parking lots when George B. was trying to see if Jim C. was marching. The stories of how the corps hid Jim are interesting.

Wish I was around the parking lots when George B. was trying to see if Jim C. was marching. The stories of how the corps hid Jim are interesting.

heh heh heh..... this is a window into a world I never even thought about before!

• 2 weeks later...

But here's how Tom Meredith earned the #1 in my book: In 1976 the Kilties were struggling. Seizing advantage of this were the Blue Stars, who offered Tommy a soloist slot and a $3000 cash "scholarship". They picked the wrong guy, because he believed in good old-fashioned loyalty. He accepted the Kilties' simple counter-offer of a no-parade contract and a personal valet (read:rookie).

Occasional access to cold beer may also have entered into the negotiations.

The Blue Stars may have attempted to recruit him, but I seriously doubt money was offered. Nice story, though.