What do you miss about the good old drum corps days ?

Wondering what you guys miss from those days. I miss the overnight bus trips to no where in general. Going through McDonalds drive thrus in a bus.

Lips bleeding at winter corps camp. A friend of mine sent me a copy of the song "Drum Corps Days" (It's on Itunes),it pretty much summed up my drum corps experience.(I marched late 50's and early 60's) And how about those cold showers because most of the schools turned off the hot water during the summer.

Great memories.

Retreat. Making your hornline the longest, by stretching out intervals. Walking behind other corps to the bathroom that were forced to march in step in couples or trios to go. Sitting in a block, together, to intimidate the other corps. Listening to that stadium explode at the end of the show. Getting a standing "O" for just taking the field. Inspection. Piston/ rotor horns and learning to really wail on them, not just play the notes. Yeah, we still did stuff right in the early 80's! lol :cool:

What do I miss? Having a full head of hair, and having a 28 inch waist. :tongue:

Whitewater, Wisconsin back in the good ol' DCI Midwest days, staying in Wells Hall on the campus. If you ever got to stay there, you know exactly what I mean :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Like 1

Quitting my job before tour. Oh and finding a "busmate" for tour.

Marched early 60's. Avid fan up thru late 80's.

1. Grass-roots/neighborhood corps.

2. Loud horn lines using anything that would generate the sound of the old G lines.

3. Great rudimental snare lines using low-tension heads.

4. Horizontally oriented, symmetrical drills (lines and arcs, as apposed to boxes.)

5. Musical arranging done by folks who have not been indoctrinated by the music education establishment. This goes for players too.

6. You play it, you carry it.

• Like 1

• Grassroots community-based corps with local kids participating, not college students from all over the country.
  • No "seeding" for standings. Corps could improve as the season progressed: practice hard, make adjustments, play their hearts out, strive for perfection .... maybe break through to winning The Big Shows despite their finishes at prior performances.
  • Generational loyalty to a corps. No "corpies" jumping from organization-to-organization in search of titles.
  • Proud of being being vastly different from (and superior to) marching bands - military precision, in-your-face music. We marched - they shuffled, scrambled and danced.
  • Local corps with no corporate financial backing were able to get the community to help them rent two buses and a truck, having a chance at winning important shows and possible titles on the national scene.
Edited by Navillus WP
  • Like 1

Mary Jane ... dual meaning ... heh ...

:innocent:

What do I miss? Having a full head of hair, and having a 28 inch waist. :tongue:

You mean you were fat back then?

Please refer to posts #6 :thumbup: #7 :worthy: and ah... #8 :rolleyes: Not to mention shows like the Dream, the World and U.S. Open where the fans were rabid and the stands were full!

• Like 1