Spirit of Atlanta 2012, OMG

It might not be a huge deal for some of the upper echelon corps to have over 300 people at an audition camp, but I can guarantee you that's BY FAR the most Spirit of Atlanta has ever had (and I've been at most of the audition camps over the past 35 years). Even when we were one of those "upper echelon" corps back in the day, we never had a turnout like this for auditions. So yes, it is a big deal for Spirit, and as you can see in that video that Michael Boo posted the link to (and that I shot, BTW and that features my son on trumpet solo), there is some substance to back up the hype.

Good job to the son! thumbup.gif

Uhh, the Gone with the Wind wouldn't be related to show music would it? That'd totally fit the profile for a show for them. Unless it's something they play every year, then I'll just feel stupid. I want them to stay in finals. :thumbup:

They played selections from Gone with the Wind in 1990....

So it's a corps song favorite of sorts I would guess. Of course I wouldn't be hurt if they played that music again! thumbup.gif

So awesome to read this and that video was just sweet! I can tell you that the staff of Spirit of Atlanta is sooo incredibly behind this corps and have been working their tails off thus far in the off season and their efforts, particularly for recruiting, is showing. I am so excited for my friends that have worked so hard to bring Spirit of Atlanta up a notch....keep it up!!

I think it's phenomenal what Spirit has got going down there in the Southeast. A Top 12 finish last year and now and explosion of talented young people turning out at their audition camp. You all should be congratulated by us and also excited by the prospect of many fine new members coming on board for the 2012 season to join those returning veterans to the corps.

Congratulations!

• Like 4

CAMP / audition HYPE..

MEANS nothing. sorry.

Numbers, emotion, tradition...mean EVERYTHING. Especially when a corps is coming back from the brink, and following up a top 12 performance. This is he best kind of hype: that we can judge for ourselves, with audio/video. Everyone looked excited to be there; the hornline was DISCIPLINED.

I couldn't be happier!

• Like 4

Aw c'mon, tell me that didn't put a massive smile on your faces!!!

They must be due to pay it again........................ PLEASE.

Good job to the son! thumbup.gif

That solo was very well played.

CAMP / audition HYPE..

MEANS nothing. sorry.

I disagree. It might not mean a lot come summer when competition starts, but this kind of excitement in the winter generates interest in the corps. More potential members, more volunteers, more financial support, etc. If you know half the people at the first camp will not make the corps, you might see kids giving a little more effort between camps so that they are not left behind. This kind of winter excitement is very important.

• Like 3

Though sceptical of the "OMG " part of the original post, after seeing the video, I must say ...OMG!

Good for you Spirit of Atlanta! This has got to be a huge rush.

• Like 1