Spirit of Atlanta 2012, OMG

Hey!!! I remember that Spirit of Atlanta!!!

I just ask for one thing... Bring that "Wall of Sound" back to the field this year, Spirit. We've missed you!

Edited by skajerk

Am I the only one that wished Spirit would actually march 120 horns? That sound was HUGE! I was just commenting on the video a few minutes ago that their hornline sounds a lot like the legendary Spirit hornlines of the early to mid 80s. It's kind of annoying to see them hover in that "barely making finals" bracket every year, I'd like to see them break through one of these years, maybe this will be the one.

• Like 4

Am I the only one that wished Spirit would actually march 120 horns? That sound was HUGE! I was just commenting on the video a few minutes ago that their hornline sounds a lot like the legendary Spirit hornlines of the early to mid 80s. It's kind of annoying to see them hover in that "barely making finals" bracket every year, I'd like to see them break through one of these years, maybe this will be the one.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't mind 120 at all!

if thats what you want to see 120 horns wont do it considering visualcarries ALOT of weight

Maybe. But not when you can't see because that wall of sound is blowing you back. :cool:

What I liked about that sopranotrumpet solo was that it was not full of pyrotechnics and bombast. It was just well played with a lot of soul.

• Like 4

A bit of drum corps trivia about that sop/trumpet soloist....Eight or nine years ago when he was just starting out on trumpet in middle school, he took private lessons from Joel Schultz, who was Spirit of Atlanta's original "Georgia" soloist in 1979. Guess he must have learned a thing or two from Joel. Best $50 a week we ever spent.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 6

ZOMFGDRUMCORPZ!!!11ONE!1

• Like 1

Does anyone know if their practices are open, and, if so, where and when? I am only 2 1/2 hours away and it would be a cool day trip to hear a for real horn line crank it up again. Its been a while.