Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

If its pre-show why is it being judged?

Because from what I've seen, they are being announced before the "pre-show"/intro begins, so isn't everything post the announcement supposed to be judged?

Alright, I'm wearing my flame cloak!

Does anyone else feel like they're watching some other corps in Vanguard uniforms?

They use straight up Cavaliers technique (with SCV upper bodies, however- a trademark I like to see), with some very Cavaliers- like drill.

They sound Phantom-esque, with Rennick-Shaw writing (who both wrote for Phantom for almost ten years).

I feel like there's not much left of SCV in there. But then again, when was the last time there was? I miss shows like '08 and '09, where it still seemed like SCV, though with a different staff each year anyway.

The only thing i agree with you is that of the marching technique. Very Cavaliers and iIreally dislike it. SCV had a kick ### maching style that was very sharp.

Oh.. i dont like the guard pajamas at all!!

I'm sure the show could be outstanding, but what I saw last night, they have a LOT of work ahead of them. It was a bummer, because I always look forward to SCV shows.

As for the Rennick perc book, I probably need to get my ears checked. I heard a LOT of Hardimon-esque buzz rolls, the kind I think SCV made hip, but I didn't hear those distinctive Rennick snare passages. In some ways I felt the SCV batterie was sort of lost in the show design.

It's definitely a show I have to watch again because I can't believe I came away with the impression I did.

Those pajamas looked like they were getting ready for bed. Tim Leary's bed.

Edited by Gaddabout

Because from what I've seen, they are being announced before the "pre-show"/intro begins, so isn't everything post the announcement supposed to be judged?

So the time keeper is screwing them over? This early in the season there arent timing penalties so I would hope they would just tell the judges to wait to make the announcement.

So the time keeper is screwing them over? This early in the season there arent timing penalties so I would hope they would just tell the judges to wait to make the announcement.

Possibly? I have no idea, I'm not a judge or in on the judging critiques. But the fact that they do stand still for about a minute and a half can not be good for their visual scores, right? usually standing still for extended periods doesn't bode well for your visual score.

• Like 1

Possibly? I have no idea, I'm not a judge or in on the judging critiques. But the fact that they do stand still for about a minute and a half can not be good for their visual scores, right? usually standing still for extended periods doesn't bode well for your visual score.

Yeah... Strange.

Patience, people were freaking out in 1999 including yours truly about SCV having no drill for the closer in late June, how did that work out.

• Like 1

I saw the video a few times and can't quite decide how I feel - their show looks/sounds complex. I can't wait to see it from above.

Like you I didn't get any sense of Phantom brass/arranging in the brass section either. IMO there were a couple of years at PR where JD's arrangements sounded completely different than anything he wrote before/after.

They still look and act like the Vanguard.

Put me down as someone who loved their show last year - issues and everything. I think I've listened to it over 200 times.

I'm with you there! Loved Bartok, too..... Really looking forward to this show. Stanford is almost here, and I'll be cheering them on. Excited to see Blue Knights, as well. Very intrigued by this different direction, for them.