Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

YES. The rest of the show is good, up to that point. I've been surprised not to hear anyone else point that out. To me, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm not sure I like how they blended Mars into Jupiter near the end, but it could be that they just aren't quite selling it yet because it's June

I made that comment in my review of the Stanford show. That part of the show stuck out to me as something that just didn't work. It's an idea that was stolen from Crown in 2009 and just isn't as effective. But again, I reiterate that it will probably be sold better as we get closer to August. And I will also add that it isn't nearly as strange as BD's entire show.

I love it personally. Jupiter fighting back into the mix sounds wonderful, however, I highly doubt that their ending will stay the same unless the really want to end the show with an unresolved chord.

The unresolved chord is intentional. The baritone part plays the theme from the opener. I like how they bring back material from the opener to finish the show

Oh, my. Just listened to the Walnut performance. Worlds above Stanford -- much better than the 3 pt. difference would indicate. The bass synth sound is all but gone (in fact, there's much less synth at any level), and it can't be simply a function of microphone placement, since the rest of the pit sounds about the same volume. If they clean it sufficiently, this show could certainly medal. (And I rather like that final transition.)

• Like 1

Indeed it is.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this. Happy to hear it.

I really can't wait to see Vanguard in a few weeks.

So HYPED about their show, having seen the vids. I sure hope they put in "Music of the Night". I will cry!!

Im actually generally okay with the jupiter mixed in with mars part, its the transition into it that irks me. Starts at 10:37 on the Walnut video. The slow down into the big chord is what I feel needs to be re-thought.

• Like 1

In 2006 Pete Weber joined Vanguard as the Drill Designer. Back then he was an incredible new force - their drill that year was completely unexpected and rivaled Cavies for sheer brilliance. "Left Brain" fought "Right Brain" in concept yet they successfully pulled off what was a complete breath of fresh air in drill design. Vanguard did things on the field that seemed impossible. Vanguard established themselves once again as a true "Vanguard."

He kept this up through recent years - each year Vanguard would bring out another breath-taking drill design rivaling the absolute best.

What happened this year and to some extent last year......?

Brass is better. Percussion is better. Where is the Pete Weber drill from prior years?

Sorry, the drill this year pales in comparison to prior years. Is he being tamed by other captions now?

• Like 1

In 2006 Pete Weber joined Vanguard as the Drill Designer. Back then he was an incredible new force - their drill that year was completely unexpected and rivaled Cavies for sheer brilliance. "Left Brain" fought "Right Brain" in concept yet they successfully pulled off what was a complete breath of fresh air in drill design. Vanguard did things on the field that seemed impossible. Vanguard established themselves once again as a true "Vanguard."

He kept this up through recent years - each year Vanguard would bring out another breath-taking drill design rivaling the absolute best.

What happened this year and to some extent last year......?

Brass is better. Percussion is better. Where is the Pete Weber drill from prior years?

Sorry, the drill this year pales in comparison to prior years. Is he being tamed by other captions now?

Yet Myron Rosander has a higher average Vis GE placement and that's counting the 2005 disaster.

As far as the prior years, to paraphrase a staffer that I had that won a very prestigious award with SCV when they marched: "There is the musical phrase and there is also a Pete phrase. They are rarely the same". Knowing staff members from that time, there was also some questionable voice staging too.

Are his ideas brilliant? Yes, some of the drill he has come up with is mind blowing.

But. . .

There is a phrase with comedy writers: "It may be your best joke ever but if doesn't fit your act, don't use it".

Edited by CloudHype
  • Like 1